• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec setups in living rooms [how to]

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The 6040R is almost the same speaker as 8340, the difference seems mainly to be price ( almost double for 6040R ) and that the 8340 is a ported design and therefore can play louder in the bass . The hight of 6040R is 100 cm, which is optimal for sound quality.
A 8340 or 8040 on a 63 cm high stand reaches the same hight.
A pair of 8040 with custom design rs303 is about 2000 euro .
View attachment 218970
Where to set down my spaghetti with red sauce and glass of Pinot?

Reed

Absolutely fine for me. For music I don't use them (stereo+subs), but for ATMOS it's great. All heavily DIRACd because of the bad room (wooden walls/ceiling, stone floor without rug, glass).
What are you using for Dirac, an AVR with preamp outs?

Tangband

Major Contributor
If its all about sound quality that curved high back chair must cause horrible reflections and mess up the sound for the listener.....
Theres no shortcuts to the perfect sound ;)

Tangband

Major Contributor
Where to set down my spaghetti with red sauce and glass of Pinot?
One can sit exactly +- 30 cm between the GLM calibrated speaker and have a nice gourmet meal:), at listening position.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Loved this one
FB_IMG_1658207325199.jpg

azzy_mazzy

How many subs are in there? Aren't the tower ones subs? How much does all of that cost in total?
The tower ones have range of 500Hz to 23Hz i think GLM setups the crossovers between that and the ones above it, IIRC i saw someone posting about GLM putting the crossover at something like 170Hz.
The tower alone costs 9K USD (single unit)

Leporello

This was a nice thread with Genelec speakers :).

From a sound perspective - not all of them is optimal, they may look nice, but the sound is compromised.
I wondered about that, too. In most pics the listening distance alone is huge (compared to what is usually meant by 'near field').

Triliza

Forum Donor
I wondered about that, too. In most pics the listening distance alone is huge (compared to what is usually meant by 'near field').
I am wondering also about that. Lets assume that someone uses a sub, would there be a diminished experience if the spl requirement are met for someone that don't listen too loud even at long distances, say 4 meters? I am talking about the <2000 euro/pair Genelecs models.

Tangband

Major Contributor
The distance is much less of an issue . A loudspeaker that measures and sounds good from a distance of 1 meter , or in Amirms review with Klippel measurements , sounds also good with 4 meter of distance. Its a myth that good nearfield speakers cant be used with good results from longer distances, other than issues in spl.

L , C and R speaker mounted above the screen will sound slightly unatural because of psycoacoustical reasons.

Tangband

Major Contributor
the W371 crossover higher than normal subs so they would need to be closer to the speakers than a normal subs which will limit you ability to move them to improve the bass response
You might improve some of the measurement results moving subwoofers all over the room , and canceling some room resonances, but there are also advantages with the whole freq. response at two distinct spots , ie where left and right speakers play music best in the room , and a higher crossover frequency for the subs.
….If the speakers are correct installed in the room, - where they play the music best . This way a very natural coherent sound can be had .

W371 is a very acoustical correct constructed bass reinforcement speaker , with the midbass at the front high up, and the subwoofer at the back at floor level.

Last edited:

test1223

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The distance is much less of an issue . A loudspeaker that measures and sounds good from a distance of 1 meter , or in Amirms review with Klippel measurements , sounds also good with 4 meter of distance. Its a myth that good nearfield speakers cant be used with good results from longer distances, other than issues in spl.
You can use a near field monitor with longer listening distance but it isn't a myth that it wouldn't sound as good as a speaker with the right amount of directivity. E.g. have a look at section Direct Sound Dominance here

You can also test it by yourself by changing the listening distance of a speaker. It makes a huge difference if you listen at 1m, 2m or 3m and you easily hear which distance sounds best.

Last edited:

Tangband

Major Contributor
You can use a near field monitor with longer listening distance but it isn't a myth that it wouldn't sound as good as a speaker with the right amount of directivity. E.g. have a look at section Direct Sound Dominance here

You can also test it by yourself by changing the listening distance of a speaker. It makes a huge difference if you listen at 1m, 2m or 3m and you easily hear which distance sounds best.
Yes , I have read this paper . Theres is no information that says that a certain distance sound best from the speakers .
Just some facts of direct sound , spl and distance to reverberant sound , thats mandatory for all speakers in rooms, not just Genelecs.

There are no differences in the way a good measuring monitor is constructed to sound good at 2 or 5 meters . If it measures well , according to Harman criteries and Amirms Klippel testing - it will sound good at any distances . The balance between direct and reverberant sound is true for every speaker in a room and depends on the size of the room , the distance from listener to speakers, and the Acoustics in the room . Horn speakers are spreading the sound in a more narrow way, which can be an advantage in a lively room with little acoustic treatments.

Every loudspeaker on this earth will be playing music in the reverberant field If the room is untreated and at long distances .
Its not something thats special for Genelec speakers - this thing happens with all speakers at a certain distance in a normal room .

This is important though - because of the law of distance , there might not be enough spl with smaller speakers in a bigger room.

Last edited:
Reactions: CMB

Morpheus

Forum Donor
The fact that their top of the line subs, domestic-ish speaking, look so awfully "PA" and so completely different from all the smaller monitors they are supposed to support ( G, 6, 8 series and Ones..) baffles me.. When you are paying 9K or so, they c ould at least use generous roundovers and slightly round the top cover to visually approximate the looks of the monitors you will be using them with...To me, they just look utilitarian in the worst sense, and even "cheap". I am a form follows function design fan, but this is lazy, there is zero design effort in it, and totally the opposite of the rest of the line ( sharp straight lines and corners vs organic rounded shapes). I could easily get a pair of monitors in my living room (my wife even tolerates stints of my 1037B in there..) but would never ever put these things in there ( even if I could afford them, that is..). Come on Genelec, even the most hardcore pro of your big monitors look miles better than this, back to the drawing board please.. :)

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
The fact that their top of the line subs, domestic-ish speaking, look so awfully "PA" and so completely different from all the smaller monitors they are supposed to support ( G, 6, 8 series and Ones..) baffles me.. When you are paying 9K or so, they c ould at least use generous roundovers and slightly round the top cover to visually approximate the looks of the monitors you will be using them with...To me, they just look utilitarian in the worst sense, and even "cheap". I am a form follows function design fan, but this is lazy, there is zero design effort in it, and totally the opposite of the rest of the line ( sharp straight lines and corners vs organic rounded shapes). I could easily get a pair of monitors in my living room (my wife even tolerates stints of my 1037B in there..) but would never ever put these things in there ( even if I could afford them, that is..). Come on Genelec, even the most hardcore pro of your big monitors look miles better than this, back to the drawing board please.. :)
They are designed to be in studios not living rooms so I guess they don't care much about how it looks.

Top Bottom