• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amp/Dac to power Drop Pandas? (with 10-band EQ)

DBianchini

Hello,
I bought a used pair of Drop Pandas for super cheap ($59) that has no functional Bluetooth but the wired connection still works. I would like to pair these with a DAC/Amp (either dongle, or desktop...not sure if dongles have enough power?) that has a 10-band EQ so I can bump the bass/treble for musical enjoyment (since the Pandas tend to be somewhat flat, dark, and weak on bass). I will be plugging this into my PC (not using with phone). So far I am looking at;

1. e1da 9038d
2. Qudelix-5K
3. EarStudio ES100
4. FiiO BTR5

Not sure if these have enough power though, as I am under the impression they are more for IEMs.

Thank you,

Davide

Last edited:

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Hello,
I bought a used pair of Drop Pandas for super cheap ($59) that has no functional Bluetooth but the wired connection still works. I would like to pair these with a DAC/Amp (either dongle, or desktop...not sure if dongles have enough power?) that has a 10-band EQ so I can bump up the bass and treble a little bit for musical enjoyment (since the Pandas tend to be somewhat flat, dark, and weak on bass).

I was curious what recommendations you might have. I will be plugging this into my PC (not using with phone). So far I am looking at;

1. e1da 9038d
2. Qudelix-5K
3. EarStudio ES100
4. FiiO BTR5

Not sure if these have enough power though, as I am under the impression they are more for IEMs.

Thank you,

Davide

Why you not use eq on the pc?

Katji

Major Contributor
Because I'm a bass-head degenerate, and the PC EQ does not extend high enough for many flat headphones, or it clips and distorts.
You can do it with Equalizer APO, great excellent software, free. Seek and ye shall find.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Because I'm a bass-head degenerate, and the PC EQ does not extend high enough for many flat headphones, or it clips and distorts.

Who told you this? If someone tells this he has no clue about eq's and how to use them.

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If using the Peace EQ skin overlay for EQ APO there are level adjustments to prevent clipping.

OP
D

DBianchini

You can do it with Equalizer APO, great excellent software, free. Seek and ye shall find.
Ok, so assuming that Equalizer APO will suffice, then what budget AMP/DAC combo would suffice for the Drop Pandas? Topping Dx3 Pro? FIIO K3?

OP
D

DBianchini

Testing out the Equalizer APO now with Peace and it is amazing!
Thank you! Now my next question would be, what DAC/Amp is recommended to pair with the Drop Pandas?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Testing out the Equalizer APO now with Peace and it is amazing!
Thank you! Now my next question would be, what DAC/Amp is recommended to pair with the Drop Pandas?
Does it have to be a combO all-in-one?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
For separates and choosing the best from each brand that is available I suggest the JDS Labs ATOM DAC+ and the Schiit Magni Heresy headphone amp. You would be getting a very well measuring DAC for ~$109 and the amp is ~$99. They both tested and measured very very well here at ASR and both companies are renowned for their good customer service and 2 year warranties.

EDIT: .. and the product is made in the USA.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
For separates and choosing the best from each brand that is available I suggest the JDS Labs ATOM DAC+ and the Schiit Magni Heresy headphone amp. You would be getting a very well measuring DAC for ~$109 and the amp is ~$99. They both tested and measured very very well here at ASR and both companies are renowned for their good customer service and 2 year warranties.

EDIT: .. and the product is made in the USA.

Hihi and 2.3W for a sensitive headphone like the panda is, should even for the basshead have enough earlobshake. ;)

OP
D

DBianchini

What about something like a used Massdrop Drop THX AAA 789 (for $159), to get the cleanest power possible, then pair that with a simple Apple Dongle?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What about something like a used Massdrop Drop THX AAA 789 (for $159), to get the best power possible, then pair that with a simple Apple Dongle?
The combO that I suggested for you is better BUT if you are on a tight budget then that would be good too.

OP
D

DBianchini

What would you recommend that has USB inputs (Schiit Hel, Fiio K3, Topping DX3, etc.)? To keep it simple on my desktop w/ PC.

Last edited:
OP
D

DBianchini

Josh Valour really seems to love the new Topping DX3 Pro+ for that $200 price point.
And Amirm praised it as well.

Top Bottom