• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp Flex Review (Audio DSP)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 0.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 16 2.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 117 20.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 435 76.0%

• Total voters

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Maybe I misunderstand, but my way I split the signal at 80 Hz to mains and subs. The way you're suggesting I would have the woofers play full range up to let's say 2k where tweeter takes over? Meaning woofer and sub are getting eq-ed as a unit and woofer playing to 40ish.
This is not my intention nor need, as placement dictates mains have a hole in punch area, while subs do not, so I do want a crossover at 80ish. This is actually the main reason I went to dsp, as I like everything else coming from speakers. Btw, they are modded like gr research does, but with better parts, FR is great now.
I think there a two topics getting confused. Yes /no?

You simply want to setup a 2.1 system with the sub xovered to the mains at 80hz. Correct?

HarryHarryHarry talks about biamping the mains with the woofer of the mains xovered to the tweeter at the usual xover frequency of the speaker R3 (what is the xover freq 1 or 2 kHz?).

HarryHarry can blow the tweeter if he doesn’t know what he is doing. You only have bad sound at worst.

(Personally I think it is not worthwhile biamping the R3s. You probably do more damage than good unless you have the knowledge and proper measurement equipment to verify - but to each its own)

Wikedlok

I think there a two topics getting confused. Yes /no?

You simply want to setup a 2.1 system with the sub xovered to the mains at 80hz. Correct?

HarryHarryHarry talks about biamping the mains with the woofer of the mains xovered to the tweeter at the usual xover frequency of the speaker R3 (what is the xover freq 1 or 2 kHz?).

HarryHarry can blow the tweeter if he doesn’t know what he is doing. You only have bad sound at worst.
2.2, but yes.

Tangband

Major Contributor
Maybe I misunderstand, but my way I split the signal at 80 Hz to mains and subs. The way you're suggesting I would have the woofers play full range up to let's say 2k where tweeter takes over? Meaning woofer and sub are getting eq-ed as a unit and woofer playing to 40ish.
This is not my intention nor need, as placement dictates mains have a hole in punch area, while subs do not, so I do want a crossover at 80ish. This is actually the main reason I went to dsp, as I like everything else coming from speakers. Btw, they are modded like gr research does, but with better parts, FR is great now.
Ok I understand . You want your passive main loudspeakers to do correct dsp crossover at 80 Hz to your subs. Thats gonna be fine .
My advice for even better sound is to rip out the passive crossovers and go all active, but then you gonna need a three way dsp crossover like dbx driverack pa2, and some rebuilding of your Klipsch .

Wikedlok

Ok I understand . You want your passive main loudspeakers to do correct dsp crossover at 80 Hz to your subs. Thats gonna be fine .
My advice for even better sound is to rip out the passive crossovers and go all active, but then you gonna need a three way dsp crossover like dbx driverack pa2, and some rebuilding of your Klipsch .
Thanks for advice, but I doubt I would profit that much doing this with my gear. And I should really stop upgrading after this :D. Custom cables were the last thing I did and thought :no more. Then my ocd kicked in while doing rew sweeps, doing hundreds of tweaks to sub xover (high level neutrik), phase, positions, and that lower/sub bass dips and peaks made me go nuts. Hence, mini flex.
Otherwise, Im really pleased with mids and top end after speaker modification, will try some eq of course.

ayane

Forum Donor
So you would say this is the best DAC one could buy?
If you're looking for a DAC that has both DSP and Bluetooth input, then yes. In fact, I'm not aware of any other DAC that has both Bluetooth and DSP, let alone analog inputs and digital outputs crossover.

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If you're looking for a DAC that has both DSP and Bluetooth input, then yes. In fact, I'm not aware of any other DAC that has both Bluetooth and DSP, let alone analog inputs and digital outputs.
If it has digital outputs, 'tain't a DAC :D

ayane

Forum Donor

Wikedlok

Ok, this is embarassing.
Flex digi.

Can someone tell me how to set up a configuration, save it as a preset, and go set up another without the first one reverting to the second one's input.

Case: I have a streamer connected with coax. Want it at configuration(preset) 1,2 and 3(with different eq curves). Flex feeds a dac for speakers and a dac for subs.

Avr sub preouts are connected to flex with rca cables. Want it on configuration 4, so analogue, and if possible when I select it, with a set volume (so I don't have to adjust it and let avr control the gain). Here flex feeds only sub dac.

I set Config 1 to coax, set the routing matrix.
Then I go to Config4, set to analogue and set the matrix.
Return to C1, it is now also on analogue.

Does Flex only enable eq and routing presets, without it remembering which input they should turn on and no volume memory? I thought this will work like in D/M avrs.

If someone could explain how I should fix this, he would be a hero, n
20220627_203825.jpg
ay, a superhero.
TIA

withoutsuit

Indeed, the source is independent from the preset / the source is not saved per preset. Was wondering myself about this in the past - you have to select the source manually.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I wanted the same (so I could have additional gain for the analogue in. Not possible.

Wikedlok

I wanted the same (so I could have additional gain for the analogue in. Not possible.
Could you perhaps help me with getting rew output through Minidsp, so pc to flex over usb. I got all settings I found to flex output and umik input, but can't get tone generator to work. Do I have to be on usb input, connected with minidsp app, ...?
I have it working over avr for sub measurements, but can't get anything on my 2.2 setup ( Node to flex, to 2 dacs for speakers and subs)
1656522725790.png
1656522709270.png

Attachments

• 1656522644553.png
    1656522644553.png
    74.6 KB · Views: 50

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Could you perhaps help me with getting rew output through Minidsp, so pc to flex over usb. I got all settings I found to flex output and umik input, but can't get tone generator to work. Do I have to be on usb input, connected with minidsp app, ...?
I have it working over avr for sub measurements, but can't get anything on my 2.2 setup ( Node to flex, to 2 dacs for speakers and subs)View attachment 215571View attachment 215569
Sorry - I use Dirac with the flex, so don't use REW. I also use a Mac, so would have differences there in any case.

Chagall

Forum Donor
I have it working over avr for sub measurements, but can't get anything on my 2.2 setup ( Node to flex, to 2 dacs for speakers and subs)View attachment 215571View attachment 215569

Think here is the problem. This is UMIK calibration file, not minidsps.

1656533455560.png

Umik's calibration goes on the other page.

1656533583372.png

Pingu

Hi im not very techy so an idiot-friendly ree would be v appreciated.

I have a pair of ancient active speakers: meridian m3, and an active sub (microvee).

I currently drive them with ldac>ifi blue zen bt>coax>dacmagic plus> 1 rca out for each speaker and x2 to sub.

Im curious as to whether i can drive everything from the flex instead, and what benefits / liberties i might gain?

Could i alter the m3 crossovers (without physically modding them)? Could I tune the sub at the same time?

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    34.9 KB · Views: 70
  • m3input.jpg[4665].jpg
    m3input.jpg[4665].jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 74

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi im not very techy so an idiot-friendly ree would be v appreciated.

I have a pair of ancient active speakers: meridian m3, and an active sub (microvee).

I currently drive them with ldac>ifi blue zen bt>coax>dacmagic plus> 1 rca out for each speaker and x2 to sub.

Im curious as to whether i can drive everything from the flex instead, and what benefits / liberties i might gain?

Could i alter the m3 crossovers (without physically modding them)? Could I tune the sub at the same time?
No and Yes

You can't alter the internal crossover filter in side the meridian - that is a hardware item, and in any case you don't have separate inputs for tweeter and woofer)

You do the sub crossover digitally in the flex. So set the sub to 200Hz, and just let the flex sort out the low pass filter for sub and high pass for speakers.

You can also then do room correction using Dirac (if you buy that option) or REW and parametric filtering if not.

deercreekaudio

Dealer
This was the one I've been waiting for since the announcement! Thanks for reviewing it this fast. The result is even better than expected, this is a brilliant piece of kit!

Whoooo. Hyped, hyped, hyped.

Edit: I have one question before I pre-order. I don't use long cable runs. Is there any advantage to the higher output voltage of the balanced version? Otherwise I see no reason not to get the RCA version for home use.
Balanced (XLR/TRS) interfaces have the benefits of excellent common mode noise rejection and higher drive levels. However it is best to match the connections on both ends, RCA to RCA (single ended) or balanced to balanced. For example, driving a balanced input device with a single ended source will not provide the full performance capability of the system.

Deer Creek Audio is an authorized miniDSP dealer

deercreekaudio

Dealer
To use REW as a signal generator you need to have your PC connected to the Flex via USB, and then set the input on your Flex to USB.

1658082212483.png

Please check out our blog on Stereo 2.1 & 2.2 Subwoofer Optimization

Deer Creek Audio is an authorized miniDSP dealer

Last edited:

df00

Has anyone upgraded from a miniDSP 2x4HD to FLEX? If so, did you notice any improvement in sound quality, and can you elaborate on this a bit? According to Amir the FLEX measures quite a bit better, but can you actually hear the improvement?

My 2x4HD is in the tape loop of my Bryston/JBL system doing EQ and DAC functions. I need the EQ function, else would just use a D10s. I'm very happy with the results I'm getting and can't say I have any issues with the 2x4HD. I'm just wondering if this might be a viable upgrade path.

I really like the fact that all the inputs and outputs are on the back of the FLEX.

Thanks in advance for any input.

deercreekaudio

Dealer
Having listened to both the 2x4 HD and the Flex given your situation it's a close choice.
If the Flex has features you need then it would be an easy choice.
If you are seeking ultimate fidelity then Flex is superior with its high-end Texas Instruments DACs and high quality analog output section.

Last edited:
Top Bottom