• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Vandersteen VLR Speaker Review

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 225 89.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 18 7.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 6 2.4%

• Total voters

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Can @amirm use the Klippel to test the uniformity of radiation of the oven? Don't they have an adaptor from sound waves to infrared yet? Hungry stomachs want to know!
...jeez now I'm hungry for pizza, seriously...
Heheh. I ate a large Greek Pizza all day till dinner came and I made something different. I should have ordered the Punjabi Pizza though. They really load that one up and make it heavy. The Greek Pizza was decent but just above average and not very heavy. Speaking of which I walked over and personally picked it up and paid $21 for it including taxes and if I ordered from DoorDash it would have been $40.56 = C A S H GRAB! :facepalm:

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I should have ordered the Punjabi Pizza though.
We had an Indian pizza shop open near where we used to live. First time I had seen such a place. Tried the curry pizza. I must stay, the mixture of cultures/foods did not work for me. It was so odd to have both flavors mixed up.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
We had an Indian pizza shop open near where we used to live. First time I had seen such a place. Tried the curry pizza. I must stay, the mixture of cultures/foods did not work for me. It was so odd to have both flavors mixed up.
The Punjabi Pizza there is palatable and not smoking hot nor weirdO soapy tasting like I find the combO of spices to be sometimes. I went for Indo food 3 weeks ago and I picked at and ate the chicken chunks and left the sauce and stuff in the bowl and ordered milk to cool down my mouth. Come to think of it the guy there strongly recommended a Heineken to go with it but I was not in the mood for drinking at 2pm in the afternoon when I had a commute ahead of me. Perhaps the Heineken would have been suitable to wash down that infernO of food. :D

anphex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Before I start a new thread for this question: would it make sense to apply multi tone testing to speakers too? Does the Klippel have an option for this?

dfuller

Major Contributor
I had a chicken tikka masala pizza a while back and while it wasn't bad, it was damned strange.

Before I start a new thread for this question: would it make sense to apply multi tone testing to speakers too? Does the Klippel have an option for this?
This question has been brought up before - it's a real bear to do because frequency response changes will change things. That said... I agree, it would be a good idea.

itz_all_about_the_music

More generally, I would like to see your ususal set of comprehensive measurements of (say) any Revel speaker both with and without grilles.

This would be very interesting for many reasons. And it's not something I've ever seen done.
Vehicles have a hood over the powerplant for functional purposes otherwise manufacturer's would delete it altogether and thus lower their manufacturing costs. I've never seen a vehicle subjective review and/or objective test conducted with the hood removed.

Thus, at a minimum (i.e., if tested only once), ALL speakers should be subjectively reviewed and objectively tested WITH the grills ON.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Tried the curry pizza. I must stay, the mixture of cultures/foods did not work for me. It was so odd to have both flavors mixed up.
I'm convinced that most folks are gastronomically tied to their indigenous land, when it comes to food types. The various Western areas, South America, Middle Eastern, Asian, and so forth. You've got to take it slow.

An Indian (from India) did contract work for me. I dreaded the drive to the coast for meetings. Not because I didn't like the coast, or because he wasn't a good guy. He treated me well (I signed his checks, LOL), and there was always room for another straw hat or t-shirt from the Ron Jon's surf shop. But because he always insisted I go to lunch with him. The Indian Pleasure Palace, or something lost in translation. Red curry. Yellow curry. Green curry. It was so wonderful that you had to eat more than nature advised. Great going down, but the longish drive back inland... after about an hour I was dying on the inside. It's why I always drove rental.

In my younger days I worked as a mushroom grower (Agaricus bisporus, not the other kind). Farm had some Mexicans working there, and wives brought home made tacos for lunch. I mean, tacos so hot it wasn't even funny (although they laughed at my physical reaction after I tried one).

During an extended stay in China I pretty much ate boiled vegetables. I didn't even know what kind of vegetables they were. Nothing I called vegetables, but I'm sure they were vegetables. Breakfast vegetables, lunch vegetables, and dinner vegetables. It was the only thing that made sense to me.

My wife refuses to eat American style food. We go to the Roadhouse and I'll order a steak 'n rib combo along with a tall mug. What could be better? She eats the free p-nutz, and drinks a cup of hot water. I'm sure the waitress thinks I'm a cheapskate, and a total jerk, being cruel and mean to her by not letting her eat, and having to watch me.

The worst (from my provincial standpoint) was English pub food. Great atmosphere, and I'd live at the Fool and Bladder if I could. But I kept telling myself, "I'll drink your 'off the shelf' beer, but I'm not eating any of that stuff!"

I've never heard a Vandersteen loudspeaker, by the way. I mention that simply to keep on topic.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I'm convinced that most folks are gastronomically tied to their indigenous land, when it comes to food types.
I was that way until I worked for Sony. At first I could not eat anything less than well done let alone Sushi. Fast forward a few years later and Japanese food became my favorite. Better yet, my pallet widened immensely to the point where I eat and enjoy just about any food. Same thing happened to my family although my wife barely tolerates sushi.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thus, at a minimum (i.e., if tested only once), ALL speakers should be subjectively reviewed and objectively tested WITH the grills ON.
Grills cause localized comb filtering and as result, designers almost universally recommend to listen without them. Use of grill also complicates analysis of issues with the speaker by adding one more variable.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Great going down, but the longish drive back inland... after about an hour I was dying on the inside. It's why I always drove rental.
Reason number 2, why to avoid rentals.

itz_all_about_the_music

Why is it not screwed down like the rest of the components?
As I didn't design it, dunno. Maybe cuz it might look more like industrial equipment instead of a piece of furniture? :rolleyes:
VLR Tamperproofed.jpg

itz_all_about_the_music

Grills cause localized comb filtering and as result, designers almost universally recommend to listen without them. Use of grill also complicates analysis of issues with the speaker by adding one more variable.
Deming_1.jpg

Everett T

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
As I didn't design it, dunno. Maybe cuz it might look more like industrial equipment instead of a piece of furniture? :rolleyes:View attachment 218802
Well, their gear definitely isn't furniture grade and as he mentioned, everything else is screwed in?? I'm guessing the product fits a market segment and that not a lot of care went into it's development. This is a common occurrence.

itz_all_about_the_music

Well, their gear definitely isn't furniture grade and as he mentioned, everything else is screwed in?? I'm guessing the product fits a market segment and that not a lot of care went into it's development. This is a common occurrence.
Not furniture grade compared to...?
Furniture.jpg

Top Bottom