• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Build of GR-Research LGK 2.0 Speaker

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What about this driver?

The port size may be an issue
Not sure I want to spend more money as I have enough good candidates just lying around...

Had seen this driver before but when a vendor does not supply published off-axis response, makes me skeptical of their quality. :)

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That Scanspeak disco unit is probably the nicest 4" being made, unless Satori has one I don't know about.

Perhaps my affection is an artifact of my increasinly antiquated skill designing passive filters, but this FR warms my heart:

10F/8424G
10F_8424G00-curve.jpg

I could build my own vandersteens with that thing. $113. I spend that much on peanut butter every month.

Yes, but EAC has stated plans for it, so no motivation to shell out the spend for it.

Everett T

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Not sure I want to spend more money as I have enough good candidates just lying around...

Had seen this driver before but when a vdoes not supply published off-axis response, makes me skeptical of their quality. :)
If you think it would model well in that cabinet let me know, I'll buy one and have it shipped to you if you like. The Vifa is a hard one to beat and has gotten great reception from many in DIY community. I think Jim Holtz has mentioned it on a few occasions.

fineMen

Major Contributor
Bass reflex (if the TS parameters allow) makes especially sense in such small wide band designs as it reduces driver excursion around its tuning region and thus also the very problematic IMDs. A steep highpass filtering below of course should be used too.

The second annotation makes very much sense. Below the tuning a ported box will un-load utterly. It is a mechanical short circuit, like connecting the + and - of You car's battery directly with bare wire, go figure! Back in the day this shorting happend even with reasonable designs due to warble from the vinyl record. The box in question departs from reasonable, settled design rules, in that it allows the driver to unload even with common, less demanding pop music from brick-wall high-pass filtered digital sources.

Maybe the design sounds at least boomy with crackling sounds as an accent once in a while? From a technical point of view it is reirerating an experiment, which failed catastrophically many times in the past. Do not do ported designs this way, except You're a well funded physicist--not interested in music as such ... . A Sheldon type?

Top Bottom