• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GR Research B24 AC Cable Review: Does it Make an Audible Difference?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Follow up video to my text review of GR Research B24 AC power cord review. I play the clips at hand and show the difference (or lack thereof) with this cable vs generic cheap AC cable:

Kind credit to band Radical Face Missing Film album for free license for non-commercial use. Please see license here.

FYI google flagged the included clips as being copyrighted which I have disputed. Not that I monetize the video but they content distributor should not be flagging these as needing a license.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Follow up video to my text review of GR Research B24 AC power cord review. I play the clips at hand and show the difference (or lack thereof) with this cable vs generic cheap AC cable:

Kind credit to band Radical Face Missing Film album for free license for non-commercial use. Please see license here.

FYI google flagged the included clips as being copyrighted which I have disputed. Not that I monetize the video but they content distributor should not be flagging these as needing a license.
Hehe. Nice T-shirt!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hehe. Nice T-shirt!
Amazon prints them on demand. Amazing that from order until delivery took a bit more than 24 hours! Figured it was worth the wait given the circumstances. :)

Herbert

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Well, the videos are produced in a monetarized/commercial context as you make
a living from this site. The algorithm does not care whether it is a small part of your income (that very likely completely goes into maintaining the site and buying stuff for reviews). I assume using the music for a private Japanese wedding video would be ok. ;)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Well, the videos are produced in a monetarized/commercial context as you make
a living from this site.
Video is not hosted here, and has no monetization. Youtube Content ID is performing an automated check which is fine. What is not so fine is the music distributer tagging this content to always require a license. The terms of the music clearly stipulate otherwise.

BTW, I don't make a living from this site. It would be an awfully poor way to live if I did! There is no commercialization of the site. No advertising, no sponsorships, no nothing. What people donate in general is up to them and is not in any way directly linked to any specific review.

DanielT

Major Contributor
Great video Amir, thanks for that!:D

You say in the video that you think it's weird/strange that GR Research does not recommend their fattest power cord to power amplifiers.That is, their smaller B16 (cheaper) to power amp, which Danny recommends, may seem strange, but I think the answer is spelled: $
You thus have more HiFi gadgets to plug in with B24, pre amps, DACs, CD players and so on. Thus, more power cords are needed. Thus more $ to GR Research.

Last edited:

DSJR

Major Contributor
My Aspergic nature didn't even cotton on to that way of thinking - sell the more expensive one to those with many small sources and the preamp needing mains cables... The power amp can have a smaller one as it doesn't really matter except financially...

Dial

On amazon you have the Goalfish 10A & 2m for under $11 & the HiFi Audiophile Power Cord etc, 1.5m for under $24 (seems unshielded, no ampere rating given). The connectors seem better and make up most of the price, no less than $10 for both even on epay : here they only have the SonarQuest Standard Edition Red Copper Series US Power Plug & IEC Connector Set AC Power For HiFi Audio at $20.

Chris_Y

@amirm Great video as always, thank you for taking your passion and sharing it with the community. As mentioned before in other threads, North America typically uses 14/2 or 12/2 wiring to go from the electrical panel to our outlets. This wiring is solid core copper or sometimes aluminum and has absolutely no shielding from the service panel to the outlet. Having a shielded AC cable for the last 6 feet makes no sense . A quality cable should be safe and certified, sized at least 14 gauge for a 15 amp circuit, flexible (multi strand wiring) and have properly sized conductors at the ends to make a solid low resistance connection and not risk damage to the outlet as you explained. As a side note, one of the biggest issues I have with extension cords and AC cables in North America is that you can take a cable that’s only 18 or 16 gauge, rated to safely pass 7.5 Amps and plug that into a 15 Amp circuit. There is no requirement for protection on the cable itself to prevent excessive current from heating the wire and causing a fire.

In light of this, I would like to suggest a more meaningful test that can better show how well these cables perform under pressure, a voltage drop test. Typically when we measure the resistance of a wire with an ohm meter, the device passes a very low current through the wire while measuring the resistance. In any conductor, the more current that passes through, the more heat is generated. The generation of this heat consumes voltage and results in less power available to the device. It’s my understanding that the GR Research B24 uses a “24 wire braid” resulting in a conductor that’s equivalent to an 8 gauge wire. Because these cables are not certified, my concern would be the internal termination of those 24 wires. Any time you pass electricity through a connector or join two conductors together, mechanically or through soldering, you will have a voltage drop of some sort. If manufacturing issues result in some of those conductors being not properly terminated, the effective current capability of the cable will be reduced, generating more heat and a potential hazard, and less power to your device.

I think it would be interesting to see a voltage drop test of the GR Research AC cable compared to the cheap no name one. Big thick power cables are usually only required for long cable runs where you want to minimize voltage drop or on devices that draw a lot of current. They will make no difference on a device drawing 15 or 20 watts because in either case, the voltage being delivered by the cable will be the same. Now, if you have a massive 7 channel power amplifier that could pull 1400-1600 watts if all channels were driven almost to clipping (unlikely with real world material but this is worse case scenario) and the AC cable could only pass say, 108 volts, you would be robbing the device of power. The DC voltage rail of the power amp, that could be designed to operate at something like 72 volts let’s say, would fall to around 62 volts. So at 72 volts DC you have a power supply that’s able to generate at best 50.904 volts RMS in AC (72 x .707) at clipping (roughly 325 watts into an 8 ohm load continuous). If that 72 volts were to drop to 62, the RMS AC voltage would be 43.834, which is only 240 watts into 8 ohms at clipping.

The more power consumed through the cable, the less becomes available to the device and the device cannot operate at its full potential. So ideally we would want to see no voltage drop on any of our wiring, but of course this is not possible. If the GR Research and no mane cable were each asked to conduct 14 Amps, I’d be curious how many volts would be lost in each cable. There are circuit testers for the home that will do this test at the outlet, but an easy item to use that almost everyone has is a hair drier. Most draw 1600 watts or more, simply measure the voltage across either end of the conductor (in parallel) and you will see how much is being lost to the cable.

Thanks again, Amir, for all you do to contribute to this great hobby.

Chris.

PatentLawyer

Forum Donor
I was watching this video on my big TV via Apple TV while my (female) cousin visited. She was most recently an intern writer for a comedy TV show you've heard of. With reference to the AC plug side and the sliding sheath, she said "hey, it's an uncircumcised power cord." I thought that was hysterical, and told her she's in the right line of work.

Dogcoop

Thnx @amirm for the review.
I am looking forward to your use of null testing in future reviews.
Also looking forward to the ‘subjectivists’ response. How will they rationalize the results to prove that a null test is not accurate?
cheers

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thnx @amirm for the review.
I am looking forward to your use of null testing in future reviews.
Also looking forward to the ‘subjectivists’ response. How will they rationalize the results to prove that a null test is not accurate?
cheers
Oh I am sure the subjectivist will find a way to rationalize. It is hard to let go of false beliefs and easy profits.

Dial

They also make special power cords for video devices and the picture is much better.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They also make special power cords for video devices and the picture is much better.
Who is they? And how does your comment apply to the AC cable tested here?

Or are you implying that if one uses this AC cable with a TV that the picture improves? If yes, pls provide some facts.

tiramisu

Ignoring the silliness of the claim I really enjoyed learning about the testing method and tools. Thank you.

bequietjk

Good lord it sounds like a liability just plugging the thing in. Tanky and thick looking cable though.

Herbert

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Video is not hosted here, and has no monetization. Youtube Content ID is performing an automated check which is fine. What is not so fine is the music distributer tagging this content to always require a license. The terms of the music clearly stipulate otherwise.

BTW, I don't make a living from this site. It would be an awfully poor way to live if I did! There is no commercialization of the site. No advertising, no sponsorships, no nothing. What people donate in general is up to them and is not in any way directly linked to any specific review.
To put some things straight: Your site is the best what happened to the world of HiFi-Reviews since Edison. But it is not connected to a trust. And I doubt you spent $300
for a boutique cable from your own pocket just to proof the enaviteable.
No criticism in my words!

Koeitje

Major Contributor
To put some things straight: Your site is the best what happened to the world of HiFi-Reviews since Edison. But it is not connected to a trust. And I doubt you spent $300
for a boutique cable from your own pocket just to proof the enaviteable.
No criticism in my words!
The products he tests are literally the cheapest part of running ASR (well apart from hosting the site itself).

Top Bottom