• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Another guy on Youtube going to visit Danny down in texas....

Vacceo

Major Contributor
How can one be wilfully ignorant and genuine? These days, I have no idea how one can be just simply ignorant. There are so many sources of good information available to these people. They choose not to pursue or act on this information, or actively ignore it, therefore they are all wilfully ignorant. I really can't see it any other way.
I´m on the same boat as you. I do research on humanities (sociology, anthropology, art, history...) and that gives you a fair understanding on why people belive bullshit. The problem humanities have (including music and other forms of artistic sound) is the methodology based on next to impossible replicability combined with a priori statements that imply conflicting visions of reality. That is where propper subjectivity kicks in: it is up to the subject to exert analysis and judgement. However, subjective reviews of audiogear hardly come by as even good subjective analysis. Why so? Because a posteriori arguments still use a point of reference, a stable scale (precise or inprecise, but a scale) to be measured with. The problem, like I said, is the validity of the scale. Where is the scale and what is the logic for "veils", "revealing", "warm"...?

Audio is an entirely different element from art, history or anthropology. We deal with an a priori material reality: soundwaves. signals, resistivity, current... All those elements have conventional measures that can be applied to replicable environments and whose effects can be equally determined. Audio does not work on the assumption that it is perhaps ideas or perhaps material conditions what creates it (as it would be changes in human societies): we do know it is material conditions from the devices used. Due to the failability of your perception, concentrate on the device itself and describe it in replicable terms. All the rest could be further analyzed in terms of cultural discourse and I´m sure none of you is particularly interested in me (or anyone) doing audiophool discourse analysis.

I don't get the obsession about that guy Danny? Can’t you all just ignore him and appreciate what this site got going in a more positive way?

The constant “us vs you” will probably just divide “the camps” even further, not the other way around. You will hardly get anyone open to your ideas of thinking by calling them a moron (just an example). :)
The issue here is legitimacy. Would you give the same credit to Lavoisier and the supporters of the Phlogiston? Why can´t a creationist and an evolutionary biologist get along?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't get the obsession about that guy Danny? Can’t you all just ignore him and appreciate what this site got going in a more positive way?

The constant “us vs you” will probably just divide “the camps” even further, not the other way around. You will hardly get anyone open to your ideas of thinking by calling them a moron (just an example). :)
You're in the wrong topic ;)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

O' please the flower power is revolting. :facepalm:

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure it helps to call them liars. Do you reject the idea that they actually believe what they say?

Astounding numbers of people in the world believe astounding things. Being mistaken - that is being human - is the more charitable, parsimonious inference, IMO.
Millions of people believing something doesn't make it a truth.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
In all fairness, I have only RECENTLY watched a few of his videos. His reviews of Stand mount speakers, SEEMED fairly on.....but.......I learned quickly....!
Thanks to this forum, you realize that in the moment a reviewer affirms anything about power conditioners or cables, baaaaaaad sign.

JayGilb

Major Contributor
If you read the comments in their videos, you see a lot of people saying that after watching the review, they decided to purchase said product.
No specs or testing are required, they are just looking for confirmation. ie - someone said it was a good decision.

Stop looking for intelligence in consumer's actions. Maybe on ASR you will find people who want specs, but not anywhere else.
They just want someone to tell them it's okay to spend their money on an unnecessary something they want.

goat76

Major Contributor
IF you were to work on a crowded street and saw a purse snatcher (a good description of Danny) practicing his nefarious trade, would you just ignore him? I wouldn't, and I doubt that most people would. Instead, I think it would be standard practice to warn everyone passing by that there's a purse snatcher on the street, and to be on guard.

As for the getting the purse snatcher open to a different way of thinking ...... it seems you don't know very many purse snatchers. Jim
Easy sympathy point won, Jim! Who likes the snatcher? :)

The thing I wanted to point out is that you will not stop the snatcher the way things are going now. With the negative approach that is starting to look more like a wich hunt, people who believe in Danny will probably just protect him even more.

And for the record, this is NOT me protecting Danny in any way, I don't believe in all the bullshit he’s trying to sell. But dividing the audio community evfurther will not take us closer to common knowledge.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
If you read the comments in their videos, you see a lot of people saying that after watching the review, they decided to purchase said product.
No specs or testing are required, they are just looking for confirmation. ie - someone said it was a good decision.

Stop looking for intelligence in consumer's actions. Maybe on ASR you will find people who want specs, but not anywhere else.
They just want someone to tell them it's okay to spend their money on an unnecessary something they want.
I registered in this forum because I´m saving up for new electronics on my system. It took me some time to realize that at this point, there is no need to get an AB amp when you can get a quality class D that will do the same in less space and heat.

Same for speakers, luckily I realized that I can keep using the ones I have with better eq. Changing preconceptions takes time and effort, and both are commodities that many people are not willing to spend.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Easy sympathy point won, Jim! Who likes the snatcher? :)

The thing I wanted to point out is that you will not stop the snatcher the way things are going now. With the negative approach that is starting to look more like a wich hunt, people who believe in Danny will probably just protect him even more.

And for the record, this is NOT me protecting Danny in any way, I don't believe in all the bullshit he’s trying to sell. But dividing the audio community evfurther will not take us closer to common knowledge.
:facepalm:
I'm not usually one for analogies but here goes one.>
If a car mechanic is charging for services and parts that are bogus should we let him carry on because we don't want to divide the community?

goat76

Major Contributor
No he is not. He learned fast how to entertain people. And adding a littel(a big portion) audiophile magic is good for entertainment and the own purse.
Yes, he is a Youtube entertainer just like Darko, but he will probably never reach that level of popularity.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
If a car mechanic is charging for services and parts that are bogus should we let him carry on because we don't want to divide the community?
More than that, the effects are on the scale.

Manufacturers concentrate on selling devices. The more serious devices and components we focus on (and buy!) and the larger the market share goes to quality products (good SINAD, efficient, responsive, stable...), the less interesting it will be to try to sell audio-placebos.

I´m quite sure that manufacturers like Genelec, Kef, Topping and some others absolutely love this forum. There is absolutely no reason why Rega, McIntosh, Sonus Faber or Marantz could deliver the same performance while keeping their styles, aesthetics and so on.

Tassin

I registered in this forum because I´m saving up for new electronics on my system. It took me some time to realize that at this point, there is no need to get an AB amp when you can get a quality class D that will do the same in less space and heat.

Same for speakers, luckily I realized that I can keep using the ones I have with better eq. Changing preconceptions takes time and effort, and both are commodities that many people are not willing to spend.
+1

2 years ago I thought I needed a new NAD receiver. That was until I read how poor they measured and how Amir exposed them. I am now the very happy owner of an amp that measures and sounds very well with built-in room eq. On the go, I also learned a lot. All praise to Amir.

goat76

Major Contributor
You must be trying your hardest not to understand the things I'm talking about, and that goes for the whole mob here. :)

Isn’t the end-goal to spread the knowledge, and not putting “the other side” into defensive mode.
That's all I’m saying.

Just look at the video of that guy Jay going to Texas to meet Danny, why do you think that is happening? I can tell you why, Amir has made Danny the main attraction point of the audio world right now, and Jay is fast on picking that up.

I bet Danny will gain popularity with all this attention and sell even more of his cables and upgrade kits.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Isn’t the end-goal to spread the knowledge, and not putting “the other side” into defensive mode.
No, that's not the goal I think.
Amir has made Danny the main attraction point of the audio world right now, and Jay is fast on picking that up.
Jay maybe wants to share YouTube hits with Danny and by visiting Jay will get hits from Danny's following of peeps.
I bet Danny will gain popularity with all this attention and sell even more of his cables and upgrade kits.
I doubt that.

Last edited:

goat76

Major Contributor

And all that is gaining even more momentum the more we talk about Danny and the attention he is getting from that, the obsession with this man needs to be ended. ASR should focus on spreading knowledge instead of attacking the "other side". :)

goat76

Major Contributor
No, that's not the goal I think.

Jay maybe wants to share YouTube hits with Danny and by visiting Jay will get hits from Danny's following of peeps.

I doubt that.
Doubt that? It's already happening if you read what JayGilb just said.

Top Bottom