• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Another guy on Youtube going to visit Danny down in texas....

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I did not know this guy. I saw one of his other videos now. 14:50 into this video. In any case, he seems to have some self-insight. What he says is that in a blind test he hears no difference but he would choose the more expensive one anyway (if he had the money) because in a non-blind test he hears a difference.:oops: Probably an imaginary difference, he adds. He gets happier from that, likes the imaginary sound difference better.

Sounds a bit tuff to consciously know that the perceived sound-enhancing difference is only imaginary, but hey, as I said, he still seems to have some self-insight.

Unnecessarily laborious, backwards and stupid way to improve the sound if someone asks me but hey everyone creates their HiFi happiness in their own way.:)

This guy is an idiot. What do you think now?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I did not know this guy. I saw one of his other videos now. 14:50 into this video. In any case, he seems to have some self-insight. What he says is that in a blind test he hears no difference but he would choose the more expensive one anyway (if he had the money) because in a non-blind test he hears a difference.:oops: Probably an imaginary difference, he adds. He gets happier from that, likes the imaginary sound difference better.

Sounds a bit tuff to consciously know that the perceived sound-enhancing difference is only imaginary, but hey, as I said, he still seems to have some self-insight.Unnecessarily laborious, backwards and stupid way to improve the sound if someone asks me but hey everyone creates their HiFi happiness in their own way.:)

He gets pretty sickening when he goes on about the sounds he hears when listening to gear. It's absurd and sometimes it takes ~5 or more minutes for his sound quality explanations. He's a goof.

Andysu

Major Contributor
I think he is not doing well with that. With his attention-seeking intros holding up posters referring "Chinese hifi" and "Crazy Rich Asians". (He had to rationalise that by saying it referred to a movie and it was just a joke.) You see all the foolish comments cheering him on but there is also negative reaction referring to racism and i think there are many more people who don't like it but just move on without commenting on it.
(I hope he doesn't read this and realise, i hope people submit complaints. Although youtube seems quite unmanaged with such stuff.)

he is golden spoon ear lol he doesn't fool me with phone call he makes in the video . he is rich hi-snob-fi . me myself i'm common . and i'm content to be that way . just as snob is content being a snob .

DanielT

Major Contributor
This guy is an idiot. What do you think now?
I thought it became bizzar humor of it all. Knowing that there is no difference but despite that (to know this is the case) consciously imagining , audible differences. The bizarre world of subjective audiophiles.:facepalm:

Edit:
Had he said that he thinks the expensive cables look nicer. That they are aesthetically more pleasing and therefore, and for that reason alone, he would have chosen them, I would have understood.

Last edited:

Tassin

It's the power of money. If you know it's "reassuringly expensive", your brain will influence your perception, making you believe you hear a difference.

Pour a glass of wine out of an ordinary bottle and tell people it cost 5 $. Then pour the same wine out of a bottle of an exclusive wine (e.g. Châteauneuf-du-pape) and tell people it cost 65 $. People will say the latter tastes much better. This has been demonstrated in experiments (and in real life by the notorious swindler Rudy Kurniawan).

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I listened to the Darko podcast. Gosh, what wrong characterization of what we do by Karman. I sent them a message saying I am happy to get on their show to properly explain the science and engineering of what we do. Hopefully they respond and accept. Failing that I can do my own video to counter.
As I'm a well-known Darko critic in this house, I will say what I think with the music Darko himself would never play:

Last edited:

see_no_evil

It's a push-back show.
To me, it sounded more like an attempt to break away from the false dichotomy of "objective vs. audiophile" and to reconcile communities rather than any sort of push back. As I perceived it, John and guests did speak up against scientism and not against scientific method. I think this is a very important message. I would love to see John and Amir discussing this subject at some point.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
To me, it sounded more like an attempt to break away from the false dichotomy of "objective vs. audiophile" and to reconcile communities rather than any sort of push back. As I perceived it, John and guests did speak up against scientism and not against scientific method. I think this is a very important message. I would love to see John and Amir discussing this subject at some point.
Amir knows physics and electronics. Darko knows hipster music.

Discussion is possible when both parts have similar levels of knowledge.
Otherwise, it looks like Ken Ham debating Bill Nye.

jae

Major Contributor
I believe most of these reviewers are genuine and are (sometimes willfully) ignorant or believe their own spew, otherwise most of them would have some nice KEF, Genelec, Neumann, D&D or similar in their "reference" systems. Or at the very least hidden away in the corner when reviewing and comparing to other speakers.

They are both showmen. Know what Danny is selling, not as clear with Jay just yet…
Affiliate links, youtube ads, patreon subscriptions, paid consultations/advice, ample opportunity to flip/profit off gear trade... plus of course general reviewer perks and free stuff that will probably end up sold. Perhaps he is not "raking it in" or selling anything directly at this stage, but his name as a reviewer or "influencer", his exposure and perceived credibility on social media etc. are worth their weight in potentially very lucrative future endeavours. Collaborating with other audiophiles with an established following is in his best interest regardless of what he thinks or believes to be true.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I believe most of these reviewers are genuine and are (sometimes willfully) ignorant or believe their own spew
How can one be wilfully ignorant and genuine? These days, I have no idea how one can be just simply ignorant. There are so many sources of good information available to these people. They choose not to pursue or act on this information, or actively ignore it, therefore they are all wilfully ignorant. I really can't see it any other way.

Last edited:

delta76

Major Contributor
Don't forget the fact that snake oil products like the extremely expensive cables are also the ones with most lucrative kickback. Affiliates to buy those products get bigger cuts (not to mention their prices are already HIGH). that's one big incentive for Youtubers to promote them

tomtoo

Major Contributor

He has no real clue what he talks about. His soundknolwledge is on beginner level. His knowledge about electronics or physics is not even on that level.
He tries to counter with audiophile babbel. But even this is not on a good level.

He talks about a speaker with a gigantic midrange hole. Nothing about. But the amps make such a big difference?
Whats his reference for listening? Nothing?
He is a waste of time, if you want to have good information.

The best german word for Schaumschläger.<--- did find translation
Hot air artist.

1 video from erin replaces 1000 of him in usefull information.

Last edited:

delta76

Major Contributor

He has no real clue what he talks about. His soundknolwledge is on beginner level. His knowledge about electronics or physics is not even on that level.
He tries to counter with audiophile babbel. But even this is not on a good level.
I have no idea either but that was 3 years ago. I'm gonna cut him some slack. People grow and learn. Let's criticize his recent videos.

goat76

Major Contributor
I don't get the obsession about that guy Danny? Can’t you all just ignore him and appreciate what this site got going in a more positive way?

The constant “us vs you” will probably just divide “the camps” even further, not the other way around. You will hardly get anyone open to your ideas of thinking by calling them a moron (just an example). :)

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
I think the litmus test for these YouTube reviewers is: can you use their reviews to make a purchasing decision?

In most cases, no, you can't. They will wax lyrical about this or that piece of equipment for 20 or 30 minutes, prattling on about air and rythm, etc. but in the end your none the wiser and you cannot relate what they say about one piece of equipment to any other, in a meaningful way that would allow you to choose between them.

It's all useless, meaningless guff, and 9 times out of 10, according to these guys, the bigger, more visually imposing and more expensive a piece of equipment, the better it is.

DanielT

Major Contributor
I don't get the obsession about that guy Danny? Can’t you all just ignore him and appreciate what this site got going in a more positive way?

The constant “us vs you” will probably just divide “the camps” even further, not the other way around. You will hardly get anyone open to your ideas of thinking by calling them a moron (just an example). :)
This is because Danny has an unfailing superb ability to tease the shit out of many with his videos. Especially this one. By the way, a video which he said he would remove but which remains:
(Danny is pretty childish in that video, I think, ridiculous even)

Then Danny also sells expensive cables, crossover upgrades which in any case the cables are just unnecessarily expensive. That's something you should criticize, right? In addition, his upgrade of the Wharfedale Linton CAN have done more harm than good, see post 113 in this thread:

Danny has, it should be mentioned, done good things per se, for example:

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-07-15_131331.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-07-15_131331.jpg
    361.1 KB · Views: 41
Top Bottom