• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Whatcha think about "pro" amps from Crown, QSC, etc?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I like the appearance of the Crown stuff.
z crown amp 2.png

z crown amps.png

OP
Chrispy

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
They are ugly.
I think many consumer amps with supposedly better looking plates are actually worse in the long run....but if you're paying a significant part for a stupid looking plate, that's just idiotic.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Nothing idiotic about wanting something decor friendly and being willing to pay for it.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Sorry, just a cheap shot :) However I do associate your posts and activity primarily as being with ATI.....sorry if that's wrong.
It's not just ATI but Theta, BGW, Datasat and OEMs. Still I try not to specifically post about those companies. I'm just a civilian here.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor

Sokel

Master Contributor
Ice power edge 1200as2+300a2 that can be used in Pro also as far as I know.
Zero problems,ample power,tested hard and with some "audiophile" speakers without succeeding to clip them.
The last think I ever worry in my rig.

anotherhobby

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have a Crown XLS1500 that I got off ebay in mint condition for only $250 shipped. It powers two passive subs I built for my office with up to ~500 watts to each 4 ohm sub, and I love it for what it does. Especially at used prices, for cheap reliable power, it's very hard to beat many of the pro amps for sub duty.

Outside of subs, I think it'll depend on the rest of your stuff. In my office system the subs are paired with Revel M105's used nearfiled (only 1m distance) that are powered by a dead silent Topping PA5. When I first got the Crown I swapped it in to see how it sounded on the Revels. I can definitely hear some hiss from the tweeter at idle, enough so that it would bug me in this setup, but I think in a more typical living room distance of maybe 10 feet, I probably wouldn't notice it at all.

Lambda

Major Contributor
QSC/crown has some good quality amps with lots of power.
But they have also crapy "budget" products...

Powersoft has also some excellent amps.

But the question is do you need lots of power?

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
The title of this thread should be "what do you think of PA amps?" Pro implies studios as well as PA and there different applications. When I think of pro amps I think of Brystons.

Indy

I guess pro amps defines both but nobody I know would use a Bryston amp to drive their subs or PA tops in any kind of situation.

Prana Ferox

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have a lead-sled Crown XLS602 as a bass guitar power amp and an XLS1500 I use to drive subs. Both were cheap as chips per watt. No complaints once the gain structure was worked out.

One nice thing about PA amps is Speakon output stock. I really wish this would catch on with home stuff but the cables-sound-better-with-crystals crowd would shriek bloody murder at sub-10$ connectors as hi-fi.

Farenheit

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I used a Crown XLi 800 (their smallest and cheapest) to drive a pair of JBL CBA-50’s at my church. I don’t hear hiss with my ear up to those (fairly efficient, at least at hiss frequencies) speakers, even when I’m alone in the church (when it is as quiet as a…church). I’ve never heard the fan run, but that amp loafs in that application. It’s an AB amp and it is heavy, but not particularly huge for its power rating.

Rick “suspecting few could distinguish it from his Buckeye NC-502MP in a blind test” Denney

Top Bottom