• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX5 Review (DAC & HP Amp)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 16 4.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 7 1.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 88 23.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 261 70.2%

• Total voters

maxxevv

Major Contributor
For the headphones the sound is more balanced on the rear xlr sockets of the dac?
It has dedicated headphone output. 6.35mm and XLR-4 connectors.

Why do you want to use the XLR output at the rear ? Those are connections to preamps/ amps / active or powered speakers.

woodbass

Désolé je veux dire

dois-je utiliser un câble "pro xlr" c'est bien pour le dx5 est-ce vraiment une sortie symétrique ?
Ou faut-il simplement utiliser les câbles fournis par le casque hd660 d'origine ?

maxxevv

Major Contributor
sorry i mean

should I use a "pro xlr" cable is good for the dx5 is it really a balanced output?
Or do you just have to use the cables provided by the original hd660 headphones?
That is a XLR 4-pin cable to be used for the dedicated headphone output. I have that too.
The DX5 has a dedicated headphone output for that.

The rear XLR outputs are 3-pin for each channel.
Different from what you seem to think how they are supposed to be used.

Addendum:

The original cable provided by Sennheiser for their headphone with 6.35mm connectors are fine.

Last edited:

woodbass

Il s'agit d'un câble XLR 4 broches à utiliser pour la sortie casque dédiée. J'ai ça aussi.
Le DX5 a une sortie casque dédiée pour cela.

Les sorties XLR arrière sont à 3 broches pour chaque canal.
Différent de ce que vous semblez penser comment ils sont censés être utilisés.

Addenda:

Le câble d'origine fourni par Sennheiser pour leur casque avec des connecteurs de 6,35 mm est très bien.
Merci beaucoup pour vos détails.

julitoole

Hey there,
im fairly new here so forgive me if I am not used to the way around here.
I recently bought both the smsl m500 m2 and the topping dx5 and use an hd650 via the original cable.
I experience a scratching noise when changing volume levels but only from the toppings dx5 or at least it wasnt audible with the smsl m500 mk2 neither with any previous application with my headphones. I only know this phenomenon from my Magnat shadow 207 powered by an yamaha rs 202d which I rarely use anymore.
Is this business as usal or is this a sign for a flaw? does this hurt my hd650?
Depending on the other answers: should I return it?

For clarification both dacs are connected via usb and not both at the same time.

maybe someone can clarify things for me thanks in advance.

Julius

jae

Major Contributor
DX7 Pro+ just announced for anyone considering this

bambadoo

Notice that. Anyone know what the difference between it and the dx5 is?
(Looking for a dx5 but with i2s input and no MQA :) )

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey there,
I recently bought both the smsl m500 m2 and the topping dx5 and use an hd650 via the original cable.
I experience a scratching noise when changing volume levels but only from the toppings dx5 or at least it wasnt audible with the smsl m500 mk2 neither with any previous application with my headphones. I only know this phenomenon from my Magnat shadow 207 powered by an yamaha rs 202d which I rarely use anymore.

For clarification both dacs are connected via usb and not both at the same time.

Julius
I just got a DX5 and that's not something it does. When I got it there was a pop when switching different song formats, but updating the firmware from 1.35 to 1.38 fixed that. Is it making the noise when adjusting volume with the wheel, or also with the remote control? I've had SMSL and Topping USB drivers at the same time and never ran into any problem like it.

Freddykins

Unfortunately just had to register to add 1 more data point to the list of dead DX5's with the looping 'upgrading' failure. Never flashed new firmwear.
Used daily April 5th - 12th June with DCA Aeon 2 Noirs, but not at huge volume. No warning and couldn't smell anything 'cooked inside the box like others'.

yavormoskov

i have a question. Can you change the settings of DX5 completely manually, not using remote at all? Certain youtuber mentioned he did not find a way to access full functionality without using the remote. Is that correct?

wbenjin

i have a question. Can you change the settings of DX5 completely manually, not using remote at all? Certain youtuber mentioned he did not find a way to access full functionality without using the remote. Is that correct?
That's not correct. I just get DX5 and I can tell you that all settings can be changed without the remote control. But with remote control you can change the settings directly without switching on/off to get into "settings menu".

HappyMetalGuy

Hey there,

Julius
Hi, i'm also new around here and looking for a DAC around 350€ to pair with my NAD C 316BEE V2 and Q Acoustics 3030i. I've restricted the choice to Topping dx5, SMSL M500 MKII and also SMSL D300 so please can you share your experience with both. I think objectively they should have the same sound signature the SMSL D300 has a different Chip manufacture so don't know if it will affect sound.
Thank you

yavormoskov

Hi, i'm also new around here and looking for a DAC around 350€ to pair with my NAD C 316BEE V2 and Q Acoustics 3030i. I've restricted the choice to Topping dx5, SMSL M500 MKII and also SMSL D300 so please can you share your experience with both. I think objectively they should have the same sound signature the SMSL D300 has a different Chip manufacture so don't know if it will affect sound.
Thank you
You should also include the new Sabaj A20d 2022 version.

yavormoskov

I wonder about something. My A50s amplifier sends the signal to the output preamp rca-s when the headphones are not plugged in and at the moment I plug in my headphones the speakers automatically stop playing. I really like this. Does DX5 behave the same way?

JoetheLion

Forum Donor
I wonder about something. My A50s amplifier sends the signal to the output preamp rca-s when the headphones are not plugged in and at the moment I plug in my headphones the speakers automatically stop playing. I really like this. Does DX5 behave the same way?
No. You have to switch on the remote control.

Trell

Major Contributor
No. You have to switch on the remote control.

I had to google for the manual to check for that would be a bad user experience for a desktop DAC/amp: You can double-click on the volume knob to switch output. It does not say if the volume for each output of remembered, which would be nice to have.

This not a behavior I want, though, as only option.

wbenjin

I had to google for the manual to check for that would be a bad user experience for a desktop DAC/amp: You can double-click on the volume knob to switch output. It does not say if the volume for each output of remembered, which would be nice to have.

This not a behavior I want, though, as only option.
I have to say, the volume knob on DX5 is a bit hard to press, and due to light weight of DX5, the force you applied on volume knob will cause the whole unit to move on your desk. It's really not a good experience.

JoetheLion

Forum Donor
It does not say if the volume for each output of remembered, which would be nice to have.
The volume of the headphone output and XLR/RCA can be set separately, the device remembers this. What does not work, as far as I know: separate volume for XLR and RCA or XLR variable and RCA fixed.

Top Bottom