• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DM7 8-Channel DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 18 5.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 52 16.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 244 76.0%

• Total voters

nagster

Maybe why some people are questioning the DM-7 having only balanced outputs?View attachment 218137

Signals can be output from the D10B even with an unbalanced connection.
However, I do not recommend it regardless of whether the ring terminal is connected or not.
d10b_DB_ts_rca_01.png

Others posted to the D10B thread.

digicidal

Major Contributor
This assumes you are OK with breaking the copyright protection?
Oh I'm way more than "OK with it"... that's literally the best part! Of course, I'm one of those freaks that will actually re-purchase a game I already own when available on GOG - just to have a version without DRM (which has broken more than one title I've owned). I'd even invite friends over for movie night - without requiring them to show proof that they also own the movie... however, that would require actual friends... so that is a problem. :p

KSTR

Major Contributor
Signals can be output from the D10B even with an unbalanced connection.
D10B's I/V and output stage is as stripped down as possible -- just one I/V opamp per leg and nothing else. That means there is no rebalancing of the balanced signal to the output GND and that's why in unbalanced connection it has way more distortion and noise than when used balanced as the common mode signal from the DAC chip itself is not factored out. Topping relies on the balanced input of the user gear to subtract out the common mode noise and distortion.
Further, it's not a servo-balanced output, so using a TS shorts the negative leg, not good for specs either.

I would assume the same thing for the DM7.

KSTR

Major Contributor
1. If the naive user employs a mono TS plug, it will short the output.
2. At least one manufacturer has cautioned against loading one leg of the output while leaving the other unloaded citing possible problems for the output stage.
In general, I like to err towards caution when advising apparently naive users.
Yep, this would be true for any signal-symmetric balanced output that is not a servo-balanced circuit or true floating transformer.

In addition, I would imagine (as per my above post) that additionally the DM7 outputs don't have common-mode voltage (noise and distortion) subtracted out because the subtractor/rebalancer is missing (reduced cost and complexity). We need a PCB photo to be sure of this, however.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Neftun

In the simplest case is for multichannel music or movie playback (if you can decode the latter prior to sending it the DAC). Another application is building multi-way active speakers. Then you need 2 or more channels for each speaker.
Forgive my ignorance…

This seem very exciting, but would it decode any multichannel formats? How would one go about that, Dolby or DTS?

Trell

Major Contributor
Pavel of OCTO is uncomfortable about my sharing the inside photos in detail because the PCB etc. would be their proprietary know-how and/or patent-protected[?] design, though...)

He can be as uncomfortable as he wants but you can still publish the pictures of your own device unless you’ve signed a NDA, work for him or something.

trcloud

With the contents available today (Streaming) it really feels like HDMI input and Dolby suite are must-have.

Whoareyou

Forum Donor
Yep, this would be true for any signal-symmetric balanced output that is not a servo-balanced circuit or true floating transformer.

In addition, I would imagine (as per my above post) that additionally the DM7 outputs don't have common-mode voltage (noise and distortion) subtracted out because the subtractor/rebalancer is missing (reduced cost and complexity). We need a PCB photo to be sure of this, however.
I received another response from Topping support
"Balanced to unbalanced will have an impact on performance. It is possible that will work, but there is also the possibility that there will be direct flow."

Any educated guess as to what they mean by direct flow? Yeah, I can just ask them I've now sent followup to support about it and see if I get an explanation that I understand.

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I received another response from Topping support
"Balanced to unbalanced will have an impact on performance. It is possible that will work, but there is also the possibility that there will be direct flow."

Any educated guess as to what they mean by direct flow? Yeah, I can just ask them I've now sent followup to support about it and see if I get an explanation that I understand.
I think it means DC currents due to a DC offset. The midpoint voltage of the balanced outputs is not exactly the same as the unbalanced ground. If the unbalanced input is DC coupled, there will be currents. D10 Balanced also has a small DC offset.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
With the contents available today (Streaming) it really feels like HDMI input and Dolby suite are must-have.
This is a DAC where do you expect the "Dolby suite" will run? You can already run them upstream before feeding to this DAC. HDMI input will increase the cost of the device.

trcloud

This is a DAC where do you expect the "Dolby suite" will run? You can already run them upstream before feeding to this DAC. HDMI input will increase the cost of the device.
This thing only has USB input. So basically either Multi channel PCM or multi channel DSD DoP with this thing plug on a PC or Mac I assume. Then how much legit muti-channel sources out there to make that happen? Feels like it's targeting people that some how "find" a bunch of multi-channel DSF/DST/DSD-iso files.
On the other hand, please correct me if I am wrong. Most big online streaming service could serve you Dolby Atmos content, through HDMI port, if your streaming device had one that could output Atmos audio format.

nick-v

Pro version with 4x AES/EBU inputs to compete with Okto Dac8 Pro?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This thing only has USB input. So basically either Multi channel PCM or multi channel DSD DoP with this thing plug on a PC or Mac I assume. Then how much legit muti-channel sources out there to make that happen? Feels like it's targeting people that some how "find" a bunch of multi-channel DSF/DST/DSD-iso files.
On the other hand, please correct me if I am wrong. Most big online streaming service could serve you Dolby Atmos content, through HDMI port, if your streaming device had one that could output Atmos audio format.
There is nowhere "basically" where you can use such a device. Read the thread and you may learn where else they can be used. Audio is not limited to music streaming.

Last edited:

Sokel

Master Contributor
Think of it like a typical internal sound card (without the extra goodie's like mic-in,headphone output and optical which is almost the standard) but external and with a better SINAD (if balanced),nothing more.

There are lot of use cases (some of them unfortunately limited in terms of peace of mind or convenience) as there is for the usual embedded motherboard sound card but with better measurements (even if some of the typical sound cards seem transparent based on their stated measurements so no difference).

MCH

Major Contributor
Think of it like a typical internal sound card (without the extra goodie's like mic-in,headphone output and optical which is almost the standard) but external and with a better SINAD (if balanced),nothing more.

There are lot of use cases (some of them unfortunately limited in terms of peace of mind or convenience) as there is for the usual embedded motherboard sound card but with better measurements (even if some of the typical sound cards seem transparent based on their stated measurements so no difference).
Well, yes, actually something more. This device is almost unique in its class and price range in two very basic and simple things: remote and screen with master volume control.

Such a simple feature allows you to hide all the computers, apps... and just use your multichannel system as if it was another random hifi component. And as a free extra, is not half as ugly as any of the usual suspects interfaces.

So simple but so difficult until now.

Sokel

Master Contributor
And as a free extra, is not half as ugly as any of the usual suspects interfaces.
Not as ugly,I agree,but not beautiful either,far from it as a matter of fact for my aesthetics.
But that's someting completely subjective,not suited for ASR style.

Top Bottom