• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need Help! XLR and RCA - both sounds come out (I just need one)

hong8311

Hello experts,

I recently got SMSL DO100/HO100 stack and my setup is as follows:

DO100 (DAC) and HO100 (AMP) are connected via XLR. DO100 and my speaker (Kanto YU6) are connected via RCA. Kanto YU has its own dac and amp within the speaker unit.

There is a toggle switch in HO100, which enable users to select XLR and RCA output source.

When I choose USB source input from the Dac (to get a sound from PC) then toggle switch to RCA from the amp, then the sound comes from my speaker. (logical and make sense)
The problem is when I turn the switch to XLR, sound comes out from both speaker and headphone, which is annoying. I have to turn the speaker off to listen to sound only from headphones.
I feel like I am wasting DAC capability while it is decoding for two outputs at the same time. (is this true though?)

Can you help me with this? What is the point of having toggle switch if I can't just choose one option that I need?

Thanks in advance.

OP
H

hong8311

No it is decoding and then outputting the same signal to both outputs.
Thanks, that sounds better. Do you think my unit is defect or it just way it is? This is my first balanced unit, I have no way to tell...

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Can you help me with this? What is the point of having toggle switch if I can't just choose one option that I need?
It appears that they wired the output switching to operate in this manner. I can't be sure without reading the manual if it is even mentioned in it. Have you read the manual to check if this switching manner is mentioned?

OP
H

hong8311

Indeed, I took a look at the manual of HO100, there is no such topic. You seem to be an expert on these. Can you help me with one more question?

If I use regular 6.35mm SE cable with pentaconn adapter to make it 4.4mm, then can I enjoy benefit of balanced? Or should I buy balanced cable that has 4.4mm in the end?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Indeed, I took a look at the manual of HO100, there is no such topic. You seem to be an expert on these. Can you help me with one more question?

If I use regular 6.35mm SE cable with pentaconn adapter to make it 4.4mm, then can I enjoy benefit of balanced? Or should I buy balanced cable that has 4.4mm in the end?
You need the specific balanced cables for balanced operation. A single ended cable will not work. They are wired very differently internally and mathematically in operation are not related.

OP
H

hong8311

You need the specific balanced cables for balanced operation. A single ended cable will not work. They are wired very differently internally and mathematically in operation are not related.
Thank you so much for your help!!

OP
H

hong8311

The Kanto integrated DAC is only Bluetooth input. Otherwise there is only the analog RCA input.
Do you think Kanto is the problem? Since Kanto has multiple input source that is controlled by single button, it is very annoying to turn off the speaker for sound only comes through headphones then click that button multiple times to adjust Kanto input back to RCA.

Katji

Major Contributor
There is always some problem like that, unless there is a remote. Like with my Edifier, but I never use the Bluetooth. Only USB cable to main speaker, then in the speaker it is DSP-->DAC--amp-->
No headphones - if I start using headphones I will just use the laptop headphone out.
I just plug in the 5m USB cable to the speaker. :)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello experts,

I recently got SMSL DO100/HO100 stack and my setup is as follows:

DO100 (DAC) and HO100 (AMP) are connected via XLR. DO100 and my speaker (Kanto YU6) are connected via RCA. Kanto YU has its own dac and amp within the speaker unit.

There is a toggle switch in HO100, which enable users to select XLR and RCA output source.

When I choose USB source input from the Dac (to get a sound from PC) then toggle switch to RCA from the amp, then the sound comes from my speaker. (logical and make sense)
The problem is when I turn the switch to XLR, sound comes out from both speaker and headphone, which is annoying. I have to turn the speaker off to listen to sound only from headphones.
I feel like I am wasting DAC capability while it is decoding for two outputs at the same time. (is this true though?)

Thanks in advance.
I think either I'm confused or you are. The switch on the HO is for inputs, not output.

What I don't understand is, if you are connected dac to amp by xlr, why selecting rca input on the HO pushes anything out of the rca to the speaker. They should be silent if the only input is xlr.

If thats the case, I can only guess that the HO isn't configured so that plugging in headphones mutes the rear outputs. Some headamps are and some have output switches
202203281708452117.jpg

OP
H

hong8311

I think either I'm confused or you are. The switch on the HO is for inputs, not output.

What I don't understand is, if you are connected dac to amp by xlr, why selecting rca input on the HO pushes anything out of the rca to the speaker. They should be silent if the only input is xlr.

If thats the case, I can only guess that the HO isn't configured so that plugging in headphones mutes the rear outputs. Some headamps are and some have output switchesView attachment 216369
Thank you so much to dig into this issue for me. I will elaborate more on this. My media source is PC, which is connected via USB to DAC. The DAC has a connection to the speaker via RCA (output), and also is connected to the amp via XLR (output). So, when amp is turned off or amp's toggle switch is at RCA, the sound only comes from the speaker, which I believe makes sense.

Then, let's say I want to listen to my headphones. Then, I turn on the amp and change amp's toggle switch to XLR. (Amp's RCA input is not connected to anything) By toggle switch to XLR, I am expecting it mutes RCA connection from speakers, but that is not happening.

I wanted to easily change output by selecting XLR RCA switch from the amp, but don't understand why both outputs work at the same time. :(

Do you think I am missing anything??

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you so much to dig into this issue for me. I will elaborate more on this. My media source is PC, which is connected via USB to DAC. The DAC has a connection to the speaker via RCA (output), and also is connected to the amp via XLR (output). So, when amp is turned off or amp's toggle switch is at RCA, the sound only comes from the speaker, which I believe makes sense.

Then, let's say I want to listen to my headphones. Then, I turn on the amp and change amp's toggle switch to XLR. (Amp's RCA input is not connected to anything) By toggle switch to XLR, I am expecting it mutes RCA connection from speakers, but that is not happening.

I wanted to easily change output by selecting XLR RCA switch from the amp, but don't understand why both outputs work at the same time. :(

Do you think I am missing anything??
Yes. The switch on the headphone amp has no impact on the signal going from dac to speakers. You'd need a switch on the dac selecting which output to use (rca or xlr). I don't believe the DO1 has such?

OP
H

hong8311

The switch on the headphone amp has no impact on the signal going from dac to speakers. You'd need a switch on the dac selecting which output to use (rca or xlr).
I think you mentioned a critical point. No, DO100 DAC does not have such a switch. So, I guess switching XLR/RCA on amp is just for another source directly coming to amp or for using other DAC. (honestly don't know much point having two ports in the amp for this case, maybe just giving user two options to connect DAC)
Anyways, thanks a ton for your explanation. At least now I know my unit is not a defect! :)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think you mentioned a critical point. No, DO100 DAC does not have such a switch. So, I guess switching XLR/RCA on amp is just for another source directly coming to amp or for using other DAC. (honestly don't know much point having two ports in the amp for this case, maybe just giving user two options to connect DAC)
Anyways, thanks a ton for your explanation. At least now I know my unit is not a defect! :)
No problem. And yes, it is there on the amp so you can select between 2 analog sources. No idea what the second source might be for many people. CD player or similar perhaps.

But yes, nothing wrong with your units. But I fear that means you will need to turn your speakers off if you want headphone listening. I suppose you could get a cheap RCA output swtichbox before the speakers and select the "other " (unconnected) output when you wanted to silence them

OP
H

hong8311

No problem. And yes, it is there on the amp so you can select between 2 analog sources. No idea what the second source might be for many people. CD player or similar perhaps.

But yes, nothing wrong with your units. But I fear that means you will need to turn your speakers off if you want headphone listening. I suppose you could get a cheap RCA output swtichbox before the speakers and select the "other " (unconnected) output when you wanted to silence them
Hey, nice suggestion! RCA switchbox is interesting solution. Thanks, again.

RemLezar

I should also point out that the 4.4mm output on the HO100 is not balanced. It is the same output as the 6.35mm.

OP
H

hong8311

I should also point out that the 4.4mm output on the HO100 is not balanced. It is the same output as the 6.35mm.
That's another good point. When companies claims it is 'balanced', is there anyway that I can tell if it is truly balanced?
In order to be truly balanced, does it have to have XLR output?

Thanks to elaborate little more on what make truly balanced amp.

staticV3

Master Contributor
That's another good point. When companies claims it is 'balanced', is there anyway that I can tell if it is truly balanced?
Yes. Play a 60Hz Stereo sine wave and measure the AC voltage between Left and Right Cold. You should see no voltage:
Screenshot 2022-07-14 180644.png PXL_20220714_175930690 (1).jpg

Next, invert the phase of one channel and measure again. You should see the full voltage:
Screenshot 2022-07-14 180702.png PXL_20220714_180056002 (1).jpg

If your Amp's Bal out is fake, you will see no voltage with both files because Cold will not output any voltage regardless of the file.
A multimeter costs about $10-15, a spare 4.4mm plug to probe the contacts is about $4, and the files you can create in Audacity.

In order to be truly balanced, does it have to have XLR output?
A truly balanced headphone output can be 2.5mm, 3.5mm, 4.4mm, or XLR.
The only requirement the jack has to meet is to have four contacts.

Top Bottom