• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tom Danley’s new ‘Hyperion’

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Did you have someone specific in mind?
They are the ultimate expression of form following function.
Keith

If anybody is interested in experiencing the Danley HRE (ex-Hyperion) latest prototype, there is a pair in Budapest and it will be shown in one of the high-end audio dealers showroom in the next 2-3 weeks.

IMG_4549.jpeg

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
They look very familiar.
Keith

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Curious to see how this compares to the JBL M2 which is what it makes me think of.

That speaker seems extremely loud and quite accurate. Curious if this is louder, more accurate, more extended, or all three.

Curious to see how this compares to the JBL M2 which is what it makes me think of.

That speaker seems extremely loud and quite accurate. Curious if this is louder, more accurate, more extended, or all three.
I had a brief, few hours long experience with the M2 with Crown amps. So I can not compare them, honestly.
Subjectively the HRE has a kind of limitless dynamics feeling, a liveliness, and scale which is practically unmatched by any of the speakers (and amplification) I was living with (Focal Grand Utopia, Avantgarde Acoustics Trio, Naim DBL, etc.).

It needs room; I would suggest letting at least 3 - 4 m between the two speakers and at least a meter between the side wall and the speaker. 35-40 sqm room is practically the minimum to get its sound right, and you need to sit at least 4-5 m from them.
Using this way, the speaker completely disappears from the room.

It has a 60x60 dispersion, so it can focus the energy on the listener.

It is quite surprising how well its four ways are integrated; it is like a huge single-point source but moves lots of air.

It goes down to 20 Hz and possibly lower and can provide quite a bit of volume between 20-40 Hz, so it puts the floor below the instruments and musicians.

Ra1zel

Addicted to Fun and Learning

It's a unity horn so certainly sensitivity is even higher than M2, also hyperion has dedicated subwoofers while M2 doesn't actually go that low as may be expected from 15 inch driver since it's more optimized as a woofer.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow, sanded AND lacquered marine ply, complete with putty over the staple holes! That 'foldback style' speaker looks hideously amatuerish, let's be honest.
Definitely lacks any forethought for W.A.F. but may not really be meant for consumer installations.
@Purité Audio had posted the Cessaro speakers (at the Munich Show), in an earlier post.
202209_Sink2.jpg

Danley's HRE (Ex-Hyperion) speaker here:
202209_Sink1.jpg

IMO >> Both look like his-n-hers bathroom sinks!

EDIT: February 2022 new thread "Competition for Danley’s Hyperion" is here.

erin's audio corner has measured and reviewed the JBL M2 and the Danley Synergy Horn

As I understand it, part of "the Hyperion Magic" is the use of DSP to optimize the frequency and phase response to the Nth degree.

Due to the fact that Synergy and Unity horns are point source speakers with a lot of headroom, they're very friendly to equalization of frequency and phase response.

A conventional speaker isn't friendly to EQ because a conventional speaker (generally) doesn't have unlimited headroom, and if you EQ it at one point in the room it might make things worse in a different point. Anyone who does car audio has run into this, where the system can sound really great for the driver while sounding poor for the passenger.

A point source like the Kef speakers isn't amenable to a lot of EQ because they don't have a lot of headroom. If you add 3-6dB of EQ to a Kef speaker, you might end up reducing the maximum output by 25-50%

Top Bottom