• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Crazy PA Coaxials for Hifi

gnarly

Major Contributor
Not at all! In fact I agree completely. I just like to point that out for other members that sometimes the devil is in the details :)

Hi, totally agree ! And the devil is known to bite hard !!

Since I don't have any polars to give voodooless, i though it might help him to show the measurement of my 15cxn88 build at the same smoothing you did.
(my post was 1/6th)

may i ask what your was? and gating used?
I'll repost with the same. thx

I share your take on the HF/VHF fuzz that shows up with our PA size coaxes,... that's what i want others to be able to see how the drivers look/compare

TimVG

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi, totally agree ! And the devil is known to bite hard !!

Since I don't have any polars to give voodooless, i though it might help him to show the measurement of my 15cxn88 build at the same smoothing you did.
(my post was 1/6th)

may i ask what your was? and gating used?
I'll repost with the same. thx

I share your take on the HF/VHF fuzz that shows up with our PA size coaxes,... that's what i want others to be able to see how the drivers look/compare

10ms gating and spliced with nearfield. I may not have used smoothing, or perhaps 1/48 -it's been a while.
PS: Didn't mean to insinuate anything negative about your data, but it's always better in comparisons when all data gets presented under the same conditions.

gnarly

Major Contributor
10ms gating and spliced with nearfield. I may not have used smoothing, or perhaps 1/48 -it's been a while.
PS: Didn't mean to insinuate anything negative about your data, but it's always better in comparisons when all data gets presented under the same conditions.
Thanks.
(and i didn't think think you were saying anything negative about my traces)

Here's the same i posted earlier for the 15cxn88 ported box....but now at 1-48th and a 10ms gate.
15cxn88 indoor ground plane 1-48th 10ms gate.JPG

Oh, i should add that these traces came from when the foamboard rings were in place, the rings trying to make a bit of a horn..
The rings added HF/VHF fuzz as i remember, compared to when i took them off and cut the box depth down so the driver could be flush with the box front
Also took a PWR-ICE250 plate amp out of it.
Anyway, the guy sits up in dock like this now...

coax rig dock.jpg

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Thanks.
(and i didn't think think you were saying anything negative about my traces)

Here's the same i posted earlier for the 15cxn88 ported box....but now at 1-48th and a 10ms gate.
View attachment 217094

Oh, i should add that these traces came from when the foamboard rings were in place, the rings trying to make a bit of a horn..
The rings added HF/VHF fuzz as i remember, compared to when i took them off and cut the box depth down so the driver could be flush with the box front
Also took a PWR-ICE250 plate amp out of it.
Anyway, the guy sits up in dock like this now...

View attachment 217097

Wish i could listen to this bad boys.

Digby

Major Contributor
General question, why not use a smaller coaxial (5" or so) with a large bass driver under 300hz or so, similar to the Sigberg one in prototype at the moment.

AwesomeSauce2015

General question, why not use a smaller coaxial (5" or so) with a large bass driver under 300hz or so, similar to the Sigberg one in prototype at the moment.
While I generally agree with that question, here could be some problems:
Smaller coaxial -> smaller horn structure -> horn cutoff higher which means higher crossover.
This, combined with the fact that the midrange driver will not be able to output as much as the compression driver, just causes issues.

Secondly, most small coaxials use smaller (and cheaper / worse) compression drivers. This causes issues with output capacity, as a smaller CD can't get as loud as a big one, and can't play as low causing more crossover issues.

One way to fix this would be to use a high quality CD with the coaxial, kind of like BMS does. But those cost a fortune and a few halves and are hard to source... At least in the USA. (B&C, OTOH, can come from parts express which makes it easy to source them).
Or if someone made a good 5" midrange with no attached CD, but with the horn structure, then I could use my driver of choice...

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor

"...Crazy PA Coaxials for Hifi.."​

The thread for 5inch midrange is somewhere else!

;)

What we're doing is using a 5.5" coaxial down to 600hz, and let a 12" pro midbass driver take over from there and down to ~90hz (where subs take over). The combination is pretty loud (understatement) and can play louder than you'd like with low distortion in just about any reasonably sized room. But I guess the coax driver itself isn't that crazy, given its moderate size. :)

Astrozombie

Forum Donor
Interesting stuff, I was just thinking a while ago why we don't see coaxials in higher end "HT" type of speakers, besides the HSU CCB-8 of course.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
What we're doing is using a 5.5" coaxial down to 600hz, and let a 12" pro midbass driver take over from there and down to ~90hz (where subs take over). The combination is pretty loud (understatement) and can play louder than you'd like with low distortion in just about any reasonably sized room. But I guess the coax driver itself isn't that crazy, given its moderate size. :)

Cant see this speaker on your page?

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor

AwesomeSauce2015

It's there but not available yet, so it's not listed on the frontpage.
I really like the price ;)
Of course, I doubt the actual speaker will cost $0 USD...

But an interesting concept nonetheless, can't wait to see how it turns out!

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I really like the price ;)
Of course, I doubt the actual speaker will cost $0 USD...

But an interesting concept nonetheless, can't wait to see how it turns out!

Price has not been set / published yet. :)

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Is there a 18inch coax on the market? That would be brutal. :)

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Nice! But i think the crazynes factor is not high enough for this thread.. ;)

Hihi more that 2inch compression driver and 15inch midbass crazyness factor. :)

That's fair, carry on! :)

Top Bottom