• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL DA-6 Stereo Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 13 5.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 65 26.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 147 60.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 17 7.0%

• Total voters

Sokel

Master Contributor
With this budget I always can’t figure out why one would want passive and not active setup…

I would expect Dedicated amp customers to be those who think mix and match would do better, willing to spend more and play around with cables etc. at this price point and compactness it seems actives are much better
For 300 euro my Fostex's with their stated 0.05 THD is more that I need for Pc nearfied monitors.
Mix'n'match are for fun with bigger gear.

RandomEar

It's widely accepted that 2dB is the minimum discernible volume difference, not sure if that rule of thumb applies to channel imbalance in a stereo application.
I think you mean 0.2 dB, right? Because most people can discern 0.5 dB difference in tone tests. And even at 0.25 dB, many fare better than random chance. In my nearfield setup, I had to dial in -1.2 dB on the left channel because without that, the stereo image is very obviously non-centered.

I'd say 1 dB of imbalance is fair for a low-cost device and won't bother most people. But 2 dB should be audible for many and I'd consider it a small flaw.

Last edited:

Music1969

Major Contributor
It's widely accepted that 2dB is the minimum discernible volume difference, not sure if that rule of thumb applies to channel imbalance in a stereo application.
No approx. 1dB

Anyway the channel imbalance with volume pot could be 2dB anyway

This SMSL has no channel imbalance, as Amir noted...

Potentially more signifcant than the marginal SINAD difference

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a question re these types of products. What would most people use this for? Would it mostly be used for driving passive desktop speakers at a computer - so a pair of speakers used as PC Desktop work/entertainment speakers. So used within a system that is based around a desk working/listening position. I'm thinking that this would be it's most sensible use as it doesn't deliver tons of power.

Jim Shaw

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

F1308

Major Contributor
Oh, please, could "There is no headroom as expected..." be explained ?
I mean just the lack of it, not the reasons to expect any.

Thank you...

:):):):)

SmackDaddies

I have a question re these types of products. What would most people use this for? Would it mostly be used for driving passive desktop speakers at a computer - so a pair of speakers used as PC Desktop work/entertainment speakers. So used within a system that is based around a desk working/listening position. I'm thinking that this would be it's most sensible use as it doesn't deliver tons of power.
exactly, as Amir said

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
With this budget I always can’t figure out why one would want passive and not active setup…

I would expect Dedicated amp customers to be those who think mix and match would do better, willing to spend more and play around with cables etc. at this price point and compactness it seems actives are much better
Play around with cables? Just use something basic.

Jim Shaw

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
That is my intended application, and I'm grateful to learn of the MX5.

In mixing/editing audio and video, there are times when I want good headphones over monitors. But active monitors rarely offer a good headphone output. The digital inputs are needed to get around the built in limited analog parts of a laptop.

One can do all this with separate components, but the result is a tangle of cables and wires -- in a place that already has too many wires and cables. And the MX5 seems small enough to still fit the desk's real estate. The Bluetooth could be handy for a little music while working. The remote control might be useful if the MX5 ever becomes a small room music player.

I'm glad to learn of the solution made by Topping, that seems to make good stuff. I'm saving up for one. :)

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That is my intended application, and I'm grateful to learn of the MX5.

In mixing/editing audio and video, there are times when I want good headphones over monitors. But active monitors rarely offer a good headphone output. The digital inputs are needed to get around the built in limited analog parts of a laptop.

One can do all this with separate components, but the result is a tangle of cables and wires -- in a place that already has too many wires and cables. And the MX5 seems small enough to still fit the desk's real estate. The Bluetooth could be handy for a little music while working. The remote control might be useful if the MX5 ever becomes a small room music player.

I'm glad to learn of the solution made by Topping, that seems to make good stuff. I'm saving up for one. :)
Right I see what you mean, this product reviewed (the SMSL DA6) doesn't have a headphone out unlike the Topping MX5 (which does), and you use passive desktop speakers with an amplifier similar to the one in this review, therefore you think the Topping MX5 is the ideal solution. I did some mental gymnastics, but I see what you mean! (And yes, in answer to my question, you think most people use this for amplification of desktop speakers). That does seem like a good combo, the Topping MX5, when mentioned in the context of how you use it.......which is probably pretty similar to how 90% of users would (want to) use an amplifier like this I would think.

YSC

Major Contributor
Play around with cables? Just use something basic.
Man you misunderstood my intention I am a active guy, which imo is far superior at the budget range and that the overall package will be much smaller with passives. So I wonders as most ppl who go passive+ amp Route are either tower speakers with great amp, or some ppl who believe in those cables stuffs to mix and match components. For the prior group who need a powerful speaker this tiny uninteresting looking amp with minimal power seems useless, and for the latter this basic amp don’t do also.

So I wonders if this power could be enough for really good bookshelf speakers like revels to make it work for some tiny home where a small amp with small footprint is desirable, if not it seems like a very niche market

Tangband

Major Contributor
Man you misunderstood my intention I am a active guy, which imo is far superior at the budget range and that the overall package will be much smaller with passives. So I wonders as most ppl who go passive+ amp Route are either tower speakers with great amp, or some ppl who believe in those cables stuffs to mix and match components. For the prior group who need a powerful speaker this tiny uninteresting looking amp with minimal power seems useless, and for the latter this basic amp don’t do also.

So I wonders if this power could be enough for really good bookshelf speakers like revels to make it work for some tiny home where a small amp with small footprint is desirable, if not it seems like a very niche market
Its good enough If you dont play your music very loud.:). And If you already have the passive speakers.
Those moderns class D amps sometimes sound better and somewhat clearer than older, much more powerful class A/B amplifiers.

For a beginner in hifi and for desktop use : Its probably much better value to buy two active jbl 305 with inbuild poweramps and dsp.

HighFutility

I think we will need a separate forum post for smsl amp/dac hierarchy. It seems they have a new product every month and no mention of it on their website. I find it odd that these products are being sold before they even get listed on their respective websites.

PeteL

Major Contributor
Oh, please, could "There is no headroom as expected..." be explained ?
I mean just the lack of it, not the reasons to expect any.

Thank you...

:):):):)
That's a characteristic of Class D amplification. The instantaneous max power is the same as continuous. Past that it's hard clipping.

Top Bottom