• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I suggest the jazz thread in the music section gets pinned.

StevenEleven

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
How could the jazz thread in the music section not be pinned? How could the jazz thread in the music section not be pinned? How could the jazz thread in the music section not be pinned? How could the jazz thread in the music section not be pinned? How could the jazz thread in the music section not be pinned? How could the jazz thread in the music section not be pinned? How could the jazz thread in the music section not be pinned?

I suggest the jazz thread in the music section gets pinned. That's really all I am trying to get across here. ;)

derp1n

Jazz serves a cultural function in the music scene. It is a signifier for musical "adulthood." To embrace jazz is to don a kind of graduation cap, signifying a broadening of tastes outside "mere" rock music. This ostentatious display of "sophistication" is an insult, and I find the graduation cappers transparent and tedious. Certainly there must be interesting music one could call "jazz." There must be. I've never heard it, but I grant that it is out there somewhere.

Jazz has a non-musical parallel: Christiania, the "free" zone in Copenhagen. In Christiania, like in jazz, there is no law. People are left to their own inventions to create and act as they see fit. In Jazz, the musicians are allowed to improvise over and beside structural elements that may themselves be extemporaneous. Sounds good, doesn't it? Freedom -- sounds good.

The reality is much bleaker. Christiania is a squalid, trashy string of alleys with rag-and-bone men selling drugs, tie-dye and wretched food. Granted Total Freedom, and this is what they've chosen to do with it, sell hash and lentil soup? Jazz is similar. The results are so far beneath the conception that there is no English word for the dissappointment one feels when forced to confront it. Granted Total Freedom, you've chosen to play II V I and blow a goddamn trill on the saxophone? Only by willfully ignoring its failings can one pretend to appreciate it as an idiom and don the cap.

- Steve Albini

Wombat

Master Contributor
I like the existing "what are we listening to now" thread as it provides exposure to various musical genres and they don't need to be HiFi. At the moment, though, it seems to be occupied with one member's DR approved selections and little else. Over representation vs enthusiasm?

Maybe a High DR and audiophile approved recordings thread may be in order in addition to the current general music thread.

Specific music genre forums are all over the WEB. Do we really need them here without a scientific emphasis? How many genres do we cater for?

Genres

o_O

P.S. I love Jazz but also much diversity in music(including in Jass).

Last edited:

vert

Forum Donor
Jazz serves a cultural function in the music scene. It is a signifier for musical "adulthood." To embrace jazz is to don a kind of graduation cap, signifying a broadening of tastes outside "mere" rock music. This ostentatious display of "sophistication" is an insult, and I find the graduation cappers transparent and tedious. Certainly there must be interesting music one could call "jazz." There must be. I've never heard it, but I grant that it is out there somewhere.

Jazz has a non-musical parallel: Christiania, the "free" zone in Copenhagen. In Christiania, like in jazz, there is no law. People are left to their own inventions to create and act as they see fit. In Jazz, the musicians are allowed to improvise over and beside structural elements that may themselves be extemporaneous. Sounds good, doesn't it? Freedom -- sounds good.

The reality is much bleaker. Christiania is a squalid, trashy string of alleys with rag-and-bone men selling drugs, tie-dye and wretched food. Granted Total Freedom, and this is what they've chosen to do with it, sell hash and lentil soup? Jazz is similar. The results are so far beneath the conception that there is no English word for the dissappointment one feels when forced to confront it. Granted Total Freedom, you've chosen to play II V I and blow a goddamn trill on the saxophone? Only by willfully ignoring its failings can one pretend to appreciate it as an idiom and don the cap.

- Steve Albini
Wow, that was both so ignorant, and insulting. No rules in jazz? No discipline? Do you have any idea? And comparing jazz with that most dismal of socio-cultural wrecks of the Western world, Christiania? Which is a product of the worst of rock and hippie culture, combined with typical Danish pseudo-tolerance, by the way.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Do we fragment this forum to accommodate individual druthers or keep it focussed on its reason for being?
I prefer it to offer what is not generally available elsewhere to avoid distraction from its published purpose.
If you have a serious Jazz interest(or other) you are well provided for elsewhere.:)

This is a music reproduction forum rather than a music appreciation society. Let's not water it down with personal distractions.
T4zGoxF.gif

Last edited:

derp1n

Do we fragment this forum to accommodate individual druthers or keep it focussed on its reason for being?
I prefer it to offer what is not generally available elsewhere to avoid distraction from its published purpose.
If you have a serious Jazz interest(or other) you are well provided for elsewhere.:)

This is a music reproduction forum rather than a music appreciation society. Let's not water it down with personal distractions. View attachment 18537
Let the Ewoks dance.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

- Steve Albini

Lol, well i did enjoy reading that :D

Virtually all major genres of western music to emerged since the war are jazz music.

OP
S

StevenEleven

Forum Donor

This is a music reproduction forum rather than a music appreciation society. Let's not water it down with personal distractions. View attachment 18537

If a moderator expresses your sentiments I will respect them. At this point the indications I have gotten from Amir are that the Jazz forum is to be pinned and I should post to it. I’ve not seen such from a mod as would condone your point of view, or even sympathize with it. If you don’t like the Jazz thread just skip over it!

Wombat

Master Contributor
If a moderator expresses your sentiments I will respect them. At this point the indications I have gotten from Amir are that the Jazz forum is to be pinned and I should post to it. I’ve not seen such from a mod as would condone your point of view, or even sympathize with it. If you don’t like the Jazz thread just skip over it!

You may have totally missed the points in my two clear posts(#7 and #10) or ignored them to accommodate your own need. So be it.

Last edited:
OP
S

StevenEleven

Forum Donor
You have totally missed my points to accommodate your own need. So be it.

Tell me your points and my needs. I’m open minded. Dear Landlord, Don’t underestimate me and I won’t underestimate you.

Wombat

Master Contributor
We have a section devoted to music. I suggest that the particular section that caters to music caters to music. We have a section that caters to photography. I suggest that the particular section that caters to photography caters to photography. And so on. We have four genres of music pinned and that's not exactly overwhelming, eh? I love just about every kind of music you can think of. I started listening to and playing jazz as a kid so it was no rite of adult passage for me (as someone else suggests). It was not so respected then either. You have conservatory type jazz and orthodox training and that can homogenize the music and create an orthodoxy that's not so great. But it's really a huge bucket. It's not exactly a sliver of the music scene. If you want an overview of Western music, you've got jazz, you've got classical, and you've got whatever else you want to divvy up any way you want to divvy it up. I have extremely diverse tastes. You're an argumentative bunch! The jazz thread was already there and I was going to keep it active, believe me! All I asked for was that what already existed (a relatively dormant jazz thread until I just came along) be pinned! ;)

Wow. Another music snob.
e417.png

Wombat

Master Contributor
Tell me your points and my needs. I’m open minded. Dear Landlord, Don’t underestimate me and I won’t underestimate you.

Oh, no. Not another one.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Peace out, my man.

Condescending waffle. No considered or sensible reply.

I am not a hippie' or your man. I am older than you and lived the period you invoke whilst you were just a kid with no clue.

Last edited:

Wombat

Master Contributor

Moderators are not infallible even though the rules(often unwritten) make them seem so.

Wombat

Master Contributor
I guess we could pin a Proto-punk music thread or the hundreds or thousands of other world-wide genres.

For example, this one:

The Sophisticants

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I like the mixed music thread as the diversity brings value imo I’m not a huge fan of segregated music threads in terms of posting music we love and are listening to but in terms of wanting to discuss genre specific topics I guess threads like the Jazz one serves a function. The ASR policy on music is ‘yes please, share away’.

@Wombat hey my ol mate you seem to of taken on a roll that’s not really required of you, running about the place being grumpy and protesting like you are here just seems bad form and is spectacularly unhelpful. People enjoy open discussion, thought based exchanges and the like , if it’s not your thing don’t participate. Picking fights with people over nothing like you have here dose not serve anyone so cut it out.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Point taken.
zu54915042_main_tm1524255419 2.jpg

@StevenEleven . You are new here and obviously not familiar with my tendency toward directness and conciseness re my posts. I apologise if it caused personal discomfort over a difference of opinion.

Last edited:
Top Bottom