• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

$63K, 150lbs Gryphon Commander Preamp Reviewed by Stereophile

Astoneroad

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Of course they're misleading people. That's what they do to stay in business. I'm reminded about the story of the old lady and the snake, but its too long to repeat here. ;)
Short version... "you knew that I was a snake when you took me in..."

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor

DHT 845

Fresh out of the box, the Commander sounded opaque, overly smooth, and "closed in."

First impression is often very informative IMO.

DHT 845

Astoneroad

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Can you post a precis of the old lady & the snake story?
Dh-__XbWsAAz-9p

levimax

Major Contributor
Physical attributes aside, the electrical output of a pre-amp from Topping and Gryphon are going to be comparable. Looking at the Gryphon site I noticed the specs on their power amplifiers. Few if any 225 watt power amps have output specs like this: 1 x 225W @ 8Ω, 1 x 450W @ 4Ω, 1 x 880W @ 2Ω and 1 x 1690W @ 1Ω . They also mention 64 output transistors per channel which makes this possible. Probably not worth the money but at least you are getting something that is electrically measurably different.

Sokel

Master Contributor
I don't care how much it costs or if it measures like a 500 euro pre-amp,I absolutely love it even without playing.
The exact same way as women can carry their things in a plastic bag but they buy Channel instead :)

OP
P

phion

I don't care how much it costs or if it measures like a 500 euro pre-amp,I absolutely love it even without playing.
The exact same way as women can carry their things in a plastic bag but they buy Channel instead :)
If I ever got rich and stupid enough to end up in the game of JewelleryFi, I would hope I could either afford one of these
or I would just feel like a wannabe. Anything less than is a compromise.

Robin L

Master Contributor
I'm looking forward to class DD [WOWSERS!] 20-watt amps clad in custom ironwork from the Bobster:

OIP.jpg

Robin L

Master Contributor

sprellemannen

Forum Donor
Some information about Gryphon:
Gryphon's sales director Rune Skov previously worked for Nordost, confer this and this.
The company sells cables, for instance speaker cables for £ 11800 for 2x2 meters, power cables for £ 3800 for 1.5 meters, etc..
They also sell spikes, maybe someone wants to buy four spikes from them for "only" £ 1590, confer this.
You figure if a serious company (Genelec, say) would hire such a person and sell such products (and claiming their superiority!) for such prices.

Luckily good companies exist, for instance Genelec, Benchmark, Topping, Sabaj, Revel, RME, SMSL, etc.

Last edited:

Sokel

Master Contributor
The company sells cables, for instance speaker cables for £ 11800 for 2x2 meters, power cables for £ 3800 for 1.5 meters, etc..
Ok,I'm wiiling to pay a premium for my cables because I like them to look pretty but for 11800 I would like them to be smart too.:cool:

sprellemannen

Forum Donor
Ok,I'm wiiling to pay a premium for my cables because I like them to look pretty but for 11800 I would like them to be smart too.:cool:
And Gryphon wants to reach the naive persons who pay an extremely high premium.

sprellemannen

Forum Donor
They are not naive,I know some of them.They are just awfully rich,money is just disposable paper to them.
Some of them are, some want to pretend to be very rich, and some rich people are tricked by the shops to buy gear from unserious brands.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Some of them are, some want to pretend to be very rich, and some rich people are tricked by the shops to buy gear from unserious brands.
The ones who pretend is the real tragedy.But that is not apply only to audio.
Applys also to the poor guy who lives in rented house but saves hard and buys a Mazerati.
Depends to who wants to show off.
That also apply to the simple guy who get in here to ask for a simple way to enloy music and ends up with a stack of gear he never intented to buy just to be part of the community and get their approval.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Top Bottom