• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Danny Ritchie's Rube-Tubes

Neward Thelman

Danny Ritchie of GR Research may prove to be deadly to the audio industry, and with it, all audio consumers. While Ritchie isn't quite at the level of fraud as the recently convicted Theranos grifter Sunny Balwani, Richie's influence and resulting outcome in the audio world may prove to be far more insidious.

A case in point is Balwani's “endofactor” - Google it; it's hilarious – which bears a remarkable resemblance to Richie's “tube connectors”. Both are snake oil; the main difference being that an endofactor doesn't exist, while Richie's tube connectors surely do exist - as a money making gambit.

So, Richie's selling snake oil to consumers who want to buy it. So what? Where's the harm? Here's the definite harm. Right now, audio companies, especially speaker manufacturers are producing higher quality product overall – at all price levels – than at any time in audio history. The terminals used by audio makers, by and large, and particularly above the lowest tier price point, are of incredibly high quality. Incredibly functional.

Contrary to Richie's carnival-side-show medicine-man tactics, antics, and statements, the single, most important function of speaker terminals is to allow the unimpeded flow of current to the speaker. The way to achieve that's by making sure that you don't lose any current. How do you do that? By making the connection between your speaker cable wire and the speaker terminals as tight as possible.

And, right now, most speaker manufacturers are making that extremely possible by making terminals that are thick and that allow you to turn the knobs to get a really tight, secure connection. Slightly higher priced models have terminals at angles to allow you total access to the connection point, best leverage to turn the connector knobs, and to guard against shorting the leads.

Richie's tube connectors – as he calls them – what a joke – pretty much do the opposite. There's no way to tighten anything. The jacks themselves wiggle around, and can even fall right out of the panel to which they're mounted. The whole thing's a silly, Rube Goldberg con job.

So, how's the audio industry's going to be affected by this one thing? This one endofactor? Here's how. Back in the day, pre-amps came with all kinds of controls. Balance, stereo/mono selectors, stereo/mono blends, tone controls, multiple speaker selectors, etc. That was then. Now - today – when's the last time you saw a balance control on a pre-amp, much less tone controls? There was a persistent belief among audiophiles – driven by influencers - that those controls were the most evil, corrupting, bad, awfulness ever conceived by human kind. Eventually, makers dropped them. They just disappeared.

The super quality terminals that makers put on their products today cost money. If Richie's idea takes hold, manufacturers'll just stop blowing money on quality connectors, and stick some cheapo jacks – like Richie's rube-tube connectors – attribute some magical, mystical properties to them – just as Richie does – and pocket the difference. You and I? We'll get inferior products.

Note: I'll be posting this on Richie's site as well.

JSmith

Master Contributor
Now - today – when's the last time you saw a balance control on a pre-amp, much less tone controls? There was a persistent belief among audiophiles – driven by influencers - that those controls were the most evil, corrupting, bad, awfulness ever conceived by human kind. Eventually, makers dropped them. They just disappeared.
Yes, tone controls are sorely missed in many products.

Btw, welcome to ASR... and also btw, there are about 5 threads now on GR research. ;)

JSmith

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
He has had strong growth on youtube. He is very good on camera which makes people want to believe. No question that this combo is creating new false beliefs in people. Then again, we are an antidote to anything he says that is a falsehood. I am not super focused on him right now but can be. Should I respond to him more strongly?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
He has had strong growth on youtube. He is very good on camera which makes people want to believe. No question that this combo is creating new false beliefs in people. Then again, we are an antidote to anything he says that is a falsehood. I am not super focused on him right now but can be. Should I respond to him more strongly?
@amirm it would be interesting to test the tube connectors in comparison to some generic gold plated and non-gold plated binding posts. Run some 40Vpeak, 5Apeak @ 8 Ohms for a total of 100WRMS through them and see how they frequency sweep and voltage drop if any.

Last edited:

JSmith

Master Contributor
but as a ninja you're supposed to be personal! :D
a9279e03516ef454c5d08e964effbec91bd62e7f.gifv

... I will meditate on this. :cool:

JSmith

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Dont know much about them, they talk about a copper to copper solution???. I hope thats not the case, while copper is a great conductor its a horrible contact matierial. For contacts i would always prefer gold.

Katji

Major Contributor
Not personally... but just the facts by pointing out and proving what is incorrect about some of his assertions.

+1

[ And it relates to what I said elsewhere about extending ASR reach to youth* demographic via the short format platforms. Maybe this - suitable speaker connectors - could be summarised for that format. What to look for, no gizmos.
* non-audiophile, mostly low budget, but just interested in better SQ. ]

Last edited:

TimVG

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Should I respond to him more strongly?

Don't bother Amir. He has his audience - you have yours, and I'm sure you have other stuff to do. It applies to many things in life, but you cannot force a viewpoint onto anyone (or their audience). His endgame is to sell products, yours is to inform. Already there is a severe conflict of interest since objectively some of the things he sells cannot be justified by any objective means, so it is in his best (financial) interest to debunk you by whatever means he sees fit. So instead of a back-and-forth, I suggest to simply keep informing people and keep doing what you do. Just because he is very present does not make him more right.

mglobe

Forum Donor
No. He lives in the any publicity is good publicity world. Snake oil has been around for a looooong time and will always be around. Ignore.

mj30250

I'm not too thrilled to be responding to yet another thread about this guy, but I agree with the above. He's made his position and his interests clear. He isn't ever going to be open to transparent and honest debate on the subject of audio. He's found himself a nice little YouTube niche where he can spin his folksy bunk about how binding posts are destroying your sound quality, the acoustic benefits of $14 /ft speaker cables are vast, and swapping "premium" capacitors into your budget loudspeakers will immediately allow them to embarrass the "big boys". He's shielded himself from criticism by way of an army of straw men and by dividing audio hobbyists into two extreme camps, with no room to meet in the middle. Fully apply Brandolini's Law and move on.

tomtoo

Major Contributor

Would it be importend for ASR? Dont think so. He is a good preacher, and has his followers. The only way to stop it, would be a abx. And he wont do it, telling that abx shows nothing.

Everett T

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
He hung around Mark Schifter long enough to know that honesty and profit don't mix in some worlds.

cavedriver

I don't see the point about having another thread about this guy. He has an agenda that is in direct conflict to the "information" he purports to be sharing. No matter how right he is (no comment) he can't be trusted. If you (Amir) lets him back on the forum to discuss and IF he comes to the table with agreed upon methods of measuring the things that he claims to be hearing, then there could be a discussion. For example, he could argue that we have no way of measuring the impact of some cable or something. Fine. Put him and others in a room and do blind A/B testing. If the listeners can't tell a difference we're done. If they can, then a measurement is missing. Short of that it's just wasted breath.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
He hung around Mark Schifter long enough to know that honesty and profit don't mix in some worlds.

Could you explain this in more detail pls?

As a outsider( german) its realy hard to know all about US audio history. :(

Everett T

Forum Donor
Could you explain this in more detail pls?

As a outsider( german) its realy hard to know all about US audio history. :(
Mark Schifter started a few audio companies, the last was AV123 (the xls encore speakers Danny still sells). Schifter was a good salesman but a better con-man and Danny was responsible for most (minus subwoofers, that was Mark Seaton primarily) of the design work for the speakers. Here is a little back story on what happened to Mark.

delta76

Major Contributor
While I think some (or many?) people would like to see the stand off between Amir and Danny - for fun mostly, but I would rather like to see ASR moves on. The majority of Danny's audience will just continue their path, no point in "converting" them. There are so many more things to test and explore. In the end, this site is/has been helping people to find stuffs that actually perform well and not cost a fortune, and I think that's the most important things to do. Help people enjoy music/movies better/properly without breaking a bank.

Everett T

Forum Donor
While I think some (or many?) people would like to see the stand off between Amir and Danny - for fun mostly, but I would rather like to see ASR moves on. The majority of Danny's audience will just continue their path, no point in "converting" them. There are so many more things to test and explore. In the end, this site is/has been helping people to find stuffs that actually perform well and not cost a fortune, and I think that's the most important things to do. Help people enjoy music/movies better/properly without breaking a bank.
I don't want to see any stand off and for the record, I'd just like Danny to back up some of his claims. It's not like he doesn't have the skill set, he just chooses to use it to manipulate.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
@amirm
@AdamG247 , @BDWoody

Private message to me some minutes ago:
Sorry you are exposed to this drama. These are facts to help you understand.

1. ASR members have been attacking Danny for at least 2 years.
2. After GR Research customers first made Danny aware of the attacks, he called on his customer/followers to not engage in mudslinging like that on ASR.
3. Amir started posting rebuttal videos with the intent to correct information presented in Danny's videos.
4. A customer sent Danny a Flat Earth T-shirt and square world globe. Danny used that as a humorous prop. No mention of ASR involved in the attempt at lighthearted humor.
5. ASR assumed Flat Earth was a direct reference to them. Attacks on Danny increased.
6. Amir wanted to test the GR Research X-LS Encore speaker. Amir refused to accept a unit assembled by Danny, yet he accepts any other already "big Name" assembled speaker.
7. An ASR member assembled a single X-LS Encore speaker, not following readily available guidance. Did everything possible to complete a crappy build.
8. Amir tests the X-LS Encore speaker. Turns out pretty good, earning a recommendation.
9. ASR member assembles the LGK 2.0 speaker, again not showing any common sense regarding internal damping.
10. Amir tests LGK, overdriving to distortion. Goes unreasonably overboard with negative comments.
11. Danny finally responds directly to the repeated attacks from ASR and clear attempts to discredit his products.

Here we are today with multiple ASR member posts, including Amir, acting as if they are pure as the driven snow. ASR started the mudslinging long, long ago.

We know its wrong. But maybe we should react to the alternative facts?

Top Bottom