• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

15-18" Powered Subwoofer Pair Build

fluid

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Depends on the box type, Equalisation and amplifier power.

Adi777

I am asking because soon I am starting the construction of a cinema hall and I am thinking about a subwoofer project. There are a lot of woofers, I don't know what to consider.

fluid

To spec subwoofer(s) for any application you need to decide how low, how loud and at what distance. For multiple listening positions multiple subwoofers can create lower mean spatial variation between positions when each can be individually controlled for level, delay and EQ.

In professional drivers there is really nothing better than BMS, but B&C, 18 Sound, Faital Pro, Beyma etc. all produce very well made drivers. There are Klippel results floating around for B&C and 18 Sound that show the motors are about as linear as can be made over quite high excursions and can take huge amplifier powers.

Most professional drivers are designed differently to hifi drivers in that they are all about getting as much motor force as possible. This gives then low Qts and a rising response. They are intended to be equalised and hit with all the power they can handle.

Adi777

In professional drivers there is really nothing better than BMS,
I am thinking about the BMS 18N862. No housing size limit. I just need to find someone to make them for me.
What do you think about such woofers?

Last edited:

morpheusX

A quick simulation of the BMS vs Fi HT-3, on a 100L box, both reaching xmax at 5Hz:
- BMS - 19mm xmax : 800 W to reach xmax at 5Hz
- HT-3 - 34mm xmax : 2700 W to reach xmax at 5Hz

Also note that the HT-3 probably has much more inductance, thus to have an accurate simulation you would have to use Hornresp with the complex Le option.
In practice, the HT-3 won't be as linear as showed bellow (as WinISD doesn't use Le for calculating the simulation):

With the above caveat, a quick simulation using WinISD:
3AmN9qe.png

Given that you said you wanted to use 18" drivers for the mains, and this would primarily be a cinema setup, the HT-3 seems to be a better option, as it will be able to dig deeper than the BMS.

If you had smaller mains, the BMS would be a better option, as it would allow you to use a higher XO (i have 2 BMS on 125L boxes, and have use it up to 200Hz).

Also note that you will need a much beefier amplifier if using the HT-3, as you'll need around 2700W to take advantage of its long xmax.

morpheusX

Is this their best woofer?

Its the only long throw subwoofer (< 30mm xmax) available in Europe.
You could import from the USA, but it would be much more expensive due to weight, shipping and taxes.

And as i mentioned, it may be your best option, due to the fact that you are considering having the BMS 18N862 on your mains, i.e., you will have lots of midbass from then.
As such, your subs will only need to cover the sub-sonic frequencies, and in that regard, the HT-3 will have more extension (3-4db) bellow 30Hz than the BMS.

Adi777

And as i mentioned, it may be your best option, due to the fact that you are considering having the BMS 18N862 on your mains,
Actually, these 4 subwoofers that I want to have in a cinema room would be with different speakers. I am thinking of the JBL M2 as LCR but I don't know if I will get it. If not, it's probably 708p or SCL-2 as LCR.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am thinking about the BMS 18N862. No housing size limit. I just need to find someone to make them for me.
What do you think about such woofers?
They look great but with such large magnetic force I can’t see how they are suitable for sub frequencies. Try a simple simulation to see.

azzy_mazzy

Actually, these 4 subwoofers that I want to have in a cinema room would be with different speakers. I am thinking of the JBL M2 as LCR but I don't know if I will get it. If not, it's probably 708p or SCL-2 as LCR.
all great speakers, the SCL-6 also measures well if you want to save some money

gattaca

If you want to consider another custom / hand-made woofer fabricator on the eastern US, I suggest browsing to near Charlotte, NC "Stereo Integrity" -> https://stereointegrity.com/product-category/subwoofers/

With either SI or FI, you are stepping into "deadly serious" territory you are not likely to find outside of custom. Stay safe, stay COOL!

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If you want to consider another custom / hand-made woofer fabricator on the eastern US, I suggest browsing to near Charlotte, NC "Stereo Integrity" -> https://stereointegrity.com/product-category/subwoofers/

With either SI or FI, you are stepping into "deadly serious" territory you are not likely to find outside of custom. Stay safe, stay COOL!
2x SQL-12 in a 40 litre vented box will give you an f3 around 25Hz and they will generate almost 110Hz at 20Hz at Xmax. :cool:

beatelund

Forum Donor
Great combo

I have 4x Bms 18N862 in sealed 115L.
2x over LR and 2x in The back wall.

Also 2x B&c 21ds115 in large ported boxed 15hz tune

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-07-04-10-37-33-88_92460851df6f172a4592fca41cc2d2e6.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-07-04-10-37-33-88_92460851df6f172a4592fca41cc2d2e6.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 211
Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Great combo

I have 4x Bms 18N862 in sealed 115L.
2x over Lr and 2x in The back wall.

Also 2x B&c 21ds115 in large ported boxed 15hz tune
That is one hell of bass capacity! Enjoy it.

What size is the room.

morpheusX

I think the OP and Adi777 are from Europe, thus the interest in PRO drivers, and the Fi HT-3.
Importing from the USA would be cost prohibitive, due to weight, shipping and taxes.

A few years ago, it was also possible to get the Aura Sound NS18-992-4A 18" in Europe at Quint Audio, but they are no longer active.

So its either pro drivers, or the Fi HT-1/HT-3 from UK.

Holmz

Major Contributor
Op is a kiwi, but same shipping and cost issues.
It could be literally cost effective to fly over to CA and bring back two boxes. Nor quite but not far off.

Top Bottom