• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NORDOST TYR 2 Review (Coax Cable)

Rate this audio cable

• 1. Waste of money (piggy bank panther)

Votes: 279 93.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 6 2.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 10 3.3%

• Total voters

ta240

Major Contributor
Colleague told me that I have to have expensive gear to hear the difference from these cables.
You will always be lacking something. Your equipment isn't revealing enough, your ears aren't good enough, you didn't compare it properly...

In the end they will just give you this look:
index.php

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So conclusion: from a performance perspective it is top rated and therefore recommended. But from a price to performance it is not.

I am not sure where these cable tests will give from a scientific perspective, unless there are cables with ”magic boxes” attached that needs to be debunked.

Canuck57

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Now if Amir's wife had come in from the kitchen and said honey what did you to your system it sounds so much better....

Jim Shaw

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Who was it who said, approximately, "In this world, there are two types of people: carnies and marks. Just carnies and marks..."

Me? I'm thinking of hiring a fortune teller to help me improve my music system. We'll read the Tarot cards, get recommendations, and she'll get a commission on every purchase. What could possibly go wrong with that?

iv0

I honestly thing the most important thing in a system are the cables. In the end they carry the electricity and music signal. If your system is 10K at least 9K should be spend on cables And just 1K on dumb non signal caring boxes.

DonR

Major Contributor
I honestly thing the most important thing in a system are the cables. In the end they carry the electricity and music signal. If your system is 10K at least 9K should be spend on cables And just 1K on dumb non signal caring boxes.
ok then.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Who was it who said, approximately, "In this world, there are two types of people: carnies and marks. Just carnies and marks..."

Me? I'm thinking of hiring a fortune teller to help me improve my music system. We'll read the Tarot cards, get recommendations, and she'll get a commission on every purchase. What could possibly go wrong with that?
I don't know that one, but it's in the same vein as many of PT Barnum's <https://www.azquotes.com/author/951-P_T_Barnum>.

Katji

Major Contributor
Amir. As a public service, shouldn't you keep a poster/list of the worst delincuents?
There is a review index page where you can generate a list of reviews and [afaik] order it by whatever column.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Surely only $10 on the dumb boxes? ;-)

Katji

Major Contributor
I'm getting old, because my reaction was "Oh, yeah, just listening to music with my pet. That's the life"
I thought of mentioning the old saying "If it's got tits or wheels, it will sooner or later give you trouble." It's a bit sexist but it could be applied to dicks as well. It probably is, sometimes.

Triliza

Forum Donor
Actually, I expect the overpriced audiophool darlings to have flawed or even poor performance.
That was not so for everyone, and still isn't, some people are still buying these stuff. Surely there wasn't such awareness and conviction through measurements as now, proving many times your expectation (and mine) indeed to be the case.

testp

yes and companies spend most of it in Cable Research & Development, it's an important cycle.. :oops:

martin900

You are serious? Just asking.... Sarcasm or humor are often lost on a (mostly) text forum...
Absolutely, I read ASR for amusement value but I don't buy into the measurements=sound signature camp at all. I've met too many folks saying red/white cables are all you need on forums but secretely they ran boutique stuff like Siltech in their own rigs and far from "TOTL Topping DAC's" :D
ASR only helps me skipping gear that is either fundamentally broken(mostly speakers), show good value like the recent iFi Phono or is needlessly overdone like the THX/Benchmark stuff but my final decision is always made by ear...and wallet, to some extent. My gear sounds fine on cheap Mogami cable but I like my AQ and Nordost more.

And no, I did not vote nor I am a dealer of any audio of sorts.

Last edited:

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does it come with a free NFT of a bored frog?

Gio

Forum Donor
His gear isn't good enough. Not resolving, not manufactured by Nordic elves (Ljósálfar). He doesn't have the soul to be attune to the artistry in the music. So his ears are no good either. He has been trained to listen to all the wrong stuff.

/sarc
or probably the blind test is not blind enough.

Top Bottom