• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary speaker review & measurements by Erin's Audio Corner

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
It's like this - I went through my self important and self serving era forty years ago in the dem room, where I could 'sound off' to anyone who'd listen and sometimes get a sale too (preaching to the converted)!!! So yeah, I think I can say that, knowing how I was back then. Since then, reality has chipped away at my attitude, most recently my inclination to get preachy if a subjectivist challenges my now more objectively based views borne of experiences (I can't be an 'expert' here because there are so many far more knowledgeable and qualified members here from whom to learn good things :)).

I look on Youtube at some of these vids and the people presenting them obviously have little knowledge really and come across as if they like the sound of their own voice (there's a far eastern chap who tested a load of cartridges and there he is with all the boxes lined up in front of him, almost shouting enthusiastically about the one he likes the sound of best (he dislikes digital apparently, so that dismisses him in my view immediately)). They often fall into all the same subjectivist based mistakes I did years ago and one chap nearer my age who should bloody know better, was raving about foo fuses from 'Synergistic' as well as his mate who'd just 'upgraded' his five grand Naim preamp to the fifteen grand one and then how much 'better' said stereo sounded when but one fuse (in the distribution block main feed probably at the UK plug) was changed. This guy, who runs a small north east audio shop, really needs to do some blind testing to see how much the visuals and expectations scrrew up subjective views and personal bias (I'm still learning, but it's fun for me).

Sure, setting up a camera and staging it all properly isn't especially easy as some of the more self-important 'influencers' try to do, but off they go on what THEY think of the gear and how it seems TO THEM as if these results are going to be identical for other lay listeners. I'm sorry to be harsh, but back when the objective performance of gear was judged important still (back in the mid 70's over here), many dealers selling the stuff used to butt heads and generally feel much the same about products despite different dem rooms and music tastes. This was before it all got tribal and peeps my age all started bleeting from the same tribal hymn sheet as that was what was expected of us - some older peeps still do...

I do feel ya, I understand.
It can be hard to see folks who are trying way to hard to be awesome or are fooled so much they end being jesters.
I think most of them are honestly fooled though and not malicious which is important to me.
Of course a few are deff shilling.
For the most part I am glad we are not stuck buying copies of Stereophile in order to get a few minutes of "audio talk". Nobody has shilled over priced hifi harder then them.

I like to watch Andrew Robinson among several others.
I think he is entertaining and I enjoy that he includes his lady friend's dialog. I often listen with and include mine. She loves being involved even if she would not be able to make a solid ASR post. (She did make a set of J.C. No 1159's with some of my help.)
Yes, some of what he says is a bit unsubstantiated or even downright silly and simultaneously he can be very entertaining and I appreciate that some of his comments are on the money.

Anyway per this Wharfedale speaker.

One thing I found super interesting is his(A.R.'s) slow move from being a die hard "retired audiophile" who loves the wilder Klipsch sound, to really digging this Wharfedale which it turns out is a solid objective speaker. Then digging the Revel M16 which is a very different speaker for the two of them to promote so enthusiastically.
There are some interesting things going when watching someone's journey like that.

Plus relatability is so huge, humanizing the adventure. Hard for some to believe, most folks don't want the best speaker they want a satisfying experience. Really. I think YouTube and other media helps people build an little adventure into buying something that for most folks is a 1 per 5-10 year quest.

Plus as a 2 channel loudspeaker based audio guy, records, YouTube influencers and similar things have really brought consumption of stereo audio back to life for folks under 45. Without records and prose and cool designs we'd be left with what most younger folks are happy enough with - headphones,sound bars and football shaped Bluetooth stuff.
Yes, it is doubled edged sword and it is a cloud with a silver lining.

Anyway it isn't like I have not called some folks idiots myself. I most deff have, though I suppose that didn't help me or them and that is what it is.

BlackTalon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The joy of Youtube is the Lowest Common Denominator effect. It was talked about a lot when Beavis and Butthead rose to popularity despite the utter stupidity of the protagonists. Said simply, if you want to appeal to a maximum of people you have to communicate in a way that a maximum of people can appreciate. Unfortunately, "saying things plainly" easily gives way to "sounding stupid". Cross this effect with the democratization of media access (anyone with a cell phone can make and post a video, a billion plus people with cell phones...) and we are being swamped with the whole spectrum of what's possible. Trying to cut through all that are people like Erin and Amir. I toast to their success and the success of the few like them. Much of the rest of the internet is just a giant time suck. And if this post doesn't sound elitist, well... :)
Heh

heh heh heh

...he said 'suck'

dougi

Why did you sell them? Did you compare with your Planet?
Yeah, I still have them. Use them for stereo and 4 x planets for surround (plus another centre). When I first got them, I posted some measurements here. In my room, easily goes into the 30s for bass.

Darvis

Yeah, I still have them. Use them for stereo and 4 x planets for surround (plus another centre). When I first got them, I posted some measurements here. In my room, easily goes into the 30s for bass.
That's a strange aesthetics mix :)

I really like my Planets (L model), especially as a center, but if I sell them to replace with better speaker (Arendal, Kef and Wharfedale are on the radar), I'll replace the center too. Problem is Linton doesn't exist as a center...

cavedriver

Are you talking about the Duevel Planets? So I suppose that they might be working fairly well as side and rear speakers since their design is intended to make the sound source hard to locate. Is that the case? Anyone done any testing or experimenting on this?

Edit: From your thread on the Lintons I gather the room where you are using these is the "big" room from that thread. Any opinion on whether the idea would break down in a 4.5 m x 6.5 m room?

regan

This seem to be somewhat better than R3? Or am I wrong? I don't understand a thing anyway.

I've just been thinking a lot lately about which one of the two to choose. They are about the same price where i'm from

mj30250

This seem to be somewhat better than R3? Or am I wrong? I don't understand a thing anyway.

I've just been thinking a lot lately about which one of the two to choose. They are about the same price where i'm from

You get more bass output and extension with the Wharfedales, and broader horizontal dispersion.

The R3 has more controlled directivity and is a little smoother across the midrange. Both are a bit elevated in the treble and would likely benefit from being toe'd out a bit. The R3 would probably be easier to deal with in a small room, especially if placed close to the sidewalls. The Wharfedales will provide a "bigger" sound.

Obviously, there's a pretty significant size difference between the two, if that matters to you. Personally I'd take the Lintons.

azzy_mazzy

R3 looks substantially better so I would go with that but I expect more people to enjoy the wider horizontal dispersion of the Lintons

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor

These and the KEF R3 are going to both sound very good although with a different sound signature.
But fully explaining why is complex. Plus not all of the traits are fully captured in the data. Subjectivity, and personally preferences will also play a strong roll between these 2 speakers.
At this price point why not try both at the same time in your home? It is worth the costs of return shipping and if you buy from certain places that may only be $10 per speaker.
Best way to learn.

For example I wasn't smitten with the R3. Though I try lots of speakers and I could also see why another person may absolutely love them. You have to listen or just pick one and be cool with what you have.

Problem is Linton doesn't exist as a center...

If the size works. Why can't you buy a 3rd Linton for the center.

azzy_mazzy

What does that mean?

Thanks for your input!
basically the Linton doesn't fall off as much as the KEF off axis, this can be a positive or negative depending on the room and use case but from what i have seen most people like wider dispersion speakers for 2 channel.
you can see the difference in these plots, the different colors represent the dB difference, angle zero is the speaker pointed directly at you
SPL%20Horizontal%20Contour.webp
SPL%20Horizontal%20Contour.webp

if i didn't make sense im sure someone can explain it better

regan

At this price point why not try both at the same time in your home?
This is what I think i'm going to do.
I'm mostly interested in soundstage and detailed sound. Lows are not essential since i'm going to add a sub nevertheless.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Wharfedale's representation in the US audio community has been rather poor over the years. Never, ever even saw them at an audio store 20 years ago.
FWIW, they were more popular in the US in the 1960s, which was rather more than 20 years ago.
Indeed, I don't know if there was a US distributor for them 20 years ago.
We had friends in Acton, MA when we lived in MA who had a pair of purchased new W90s, e.g. The husband was a retired Army Col., and may well have picked them up in the PX in the Vietnam era.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I find it weird that this tests so well with that edge for the grill. Yes/No??

dougi

Are you talking about the Duevel Planets? So I suppose that they might be working fairly well as side and rear speakers since their design is intended to make the sound source hard to locate. Is that the case? Anyone done any testing or experimenting on this?

Edit: From your thread on the Lintons I gather the room where you are using these is the "big" room from that thread. Any opinion on whether the idea would break down in a 4.5 m x 6.5 m room?
No, sorry not to be clear, as per my signature Elipson Planet Ls (coaxial). Not an expert on surround and recommendations seem to change with every new surround format but omnis would probably be good for the rear channels. I still don't get as much envelopment as I would like.

norcalscott

Forum Donor
Great to see these tested! I based my purchase of them last year on other reviews and tests, but would have rather seen them tested here, or in this case, by Erin, who is someone I trust.

I am of the old school thinking that 3 way systems with decent woofers are the way to go, and these things are built like a tank. I also purchased the optional stands and I highly recommend the few hundred extra dollars for those as they are really high quality and match the speakers perfectly. I did add a single powered sub to my setup with these, and that has added punch on the low end - not a requirement but it nicely compliments these in the bass department.

I feel the Lintons are one of the best values in audio right now.

raest

Hearing them called amateurs over and over by folks with no evidence they can do better just gets thinner and thinner.

riiight... so applying the exact same logic, nobody should criticize any loudspeaker unless they provide evidence they can do a better one...

i hope you realize this is one of those classic logical fallacies, one of those that should never ever be made on a forum called AudioScienceReview

and if you're "entertained" by faux-reviewers pretending they understand the subject matter while talking almost random words about loudspeakers... i have really no words. just... why?

imagine (serious, non-humorous) watching cooking shows hosted by people who don't know anything about food and coming up with nonsensical recipes. or car shows where the "reviewers" can't even drive and don't know the difference between the engine and suspension and think top speed is the only relevant metric

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
riiight... so applying the exact same logic, nobody should criticize any loudspeaker unless they provide evidence they can do a better one...

i hope you realize this is one of those classic logical fallacies, one of those that should never ever be made on a forum called AudioScienceReview

and if you're "entertained" by faux-reviewers pretending they understand the subject matter while talking almost random words about loudspeakers... i have really no words. just... why?

imagine (serious, non-humorous) watching cooking shows hosted by people who don't know anything about food and coming up with nonsensical recipes. or car shows where the "reviewers" can't even drive and don't know the difference between the engine and suspension and think top speed is the only relevant metric
A lot of folks who cook tasty treats don't know the 1st thing about healthy eating for example. Or how to grow vegetables. Or how to get the best price on 100,000lbs of soy beans in China. Or how to budget the weekly grocery bill.

What I said is not a logical fallacy.

Top Bottom