• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GALA DAC - New Product, Coming Soon

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
May be DAC (Digital Audio Company) can send a DAC for review to Amir.
Please contact them and see if they are interested. I would ask for the "high spec" version. If they don't want to send one, ask them if they measured one or are just printing the chip specs on their website.

OP
orchardaudio

orchardaudio

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
After getting some feedback, I have revamped the campaigns video, let me know what you think.

I thought the dB graph at 0:15 was useless and misleading. Any DAC with a >120 dB noise floor, and there are several reviewed on this site, could post something similar. But more importantly, it's the worst kind of implication to the naive consumer -- music doesn't have 96 dB range, let alone 120+, so it doesn't matter for playback.

Similarly, the "less detail / more detail" graph at 0:23 is pretty much BS. Lossless is lossless. Higher resolution lossless doesn't get you "more detail"; it gives you benefits in terms of what filters you can use.

And, in both cases, even if one accepts the narrative, neither of these attributes are different on the GALA from any other 24bit/192khz DAC.

0:36 -- what does THD have to do with being in a large orchestra hall or a small jazz club? Is THD different in a small chamber music venue or a big jazz club? What about arena rock?

Overall, I thought it was pretty bad and useless marketing and doesn't tell me anything about how the GALA is better or different than the many many other 24bit/192khz DACs already on the market.

OP
orchardaudio

orchardaudio

Audio Company
I thought the dB graph at 0:15 was useless and misleading. Any DAC with a >120 dB noise floor, and there are several reviewed on this site, could post something similar. But more importantly, it's the worst kind of implication to the naive consumer -- music doesn't have 96 dB range, let alone 120+, so it doesn't matter for playback.

Similarly, the "less detail / more detail" graph at 0:23 is pretty much BS. Lossless is lossless. Higher resolution lossless doesn't get you "more detail"; it gives you benefits in terms of what filters you can use.

And, in both cases, even if one accepts the narrative, neither of these attributes are different on the GALA from any other 24bit/192khz DAC.

0:36 -- what does THD have to do with being in a large orchestra hall or a small jazz club? Is THD different in a small chamber music venue or a big jazz club? What about arena rock?

Overall, I thought it was pretty bad and useless marketing and doesn't tell me anything about how the GALA is better or different than the many many other 24bit/192khz DACs already on the market.
Is this one better? Though I was told by multiple people that it was too technical and most consumers would not understand it.

Veri

Master Contributor
I like video #2 more but honestly, you might do well with paying some marketing guy for a flashy video :p something in-between what the consumers want to read/see, and what the technical (ASR) crowd wants to see would be best maybe.

Of course exposure will matter much more than the quality of your promotion material. ultimately.

rajapruk

Forum Donor
As the President of this corporation, I think you must fire the whole marketing department, to start with.

OP
orchardaudio

orchardaudio

Audio Company
As the President of this corporation, I think you must fire the whole marketing department, to start with.
What marketing department? It's a one person show. And I am an engineer so marketing does not come naturally as you can imagine.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Is this one better? Though I was told by multiple people that it was too technical and most consumers would not understand it.

Who is your target audience?

Are you trying to

a) explain "high resolution audio" to first time buyers and convince them its a good thing?

b) or to sell a DAC to people who already believe in high resolution audio and are looking for the one best for them?

I think b) is smarter.

OP
orchardaudio

orchardaudio

Audio Company
Who is your target audience?

Are you trying to

a) explain "high resolution audio" to first time buyers and convince them its a good thing?

b) or to sell a DAC to people who already believe in high resolution audio and are looking for the one best for them?

I think b) is smarter.
Mainly going after b), but dont want to alienate a) in the process.

rajapruk

Forum Donor
I am by no means a marketing expert, but I think you should:
Think about what is your target market segment and target group. Then try to do something that might appeal to this group. These current videos might appeal 15 year olds maybe.
(take it with a grain of salt, I am 42 years old)

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I like video #2 more but honestly, you might do well with paying some marketing guy for a flashy video :p something in-between what the consumers want to read/see, and what the technical (ASR) crowd wants to see would be best maybe.

Of course exposure will matter much more than the quality of your promotion material. ultimately.

I think there is a more fundamental problem.

Flashiness doesn't help if the unique selling points are not clear.

I have no idea what the GALA's unique selling points are versus dozens of other 24bit/192khz DACs on the market.

It's a simple question:

"Why should I choose GALA?"

Until one can answer those in bullet points, and make a message pillar grounded in product truth, fancier production doesn't help.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I am by no means a marketing expert, but I think you should:
Think about what is your target market segment and target group. Then try to do something that might appeal to this group. These current videos might appeal 15 year olds maybe.
(take it with a grain of salt, I am 42 years old)

Target demographics is another good point.

On the one hand, there was an appeal to gamers -- but how many gamers care about high resolution or want to spend this much on a DAC?

On the other hand, there was a ham-fisted appeal to audiophiles interested in high resolution, but with some shout-outs to gamers. Audiophiles don't want to be lumped in with gamers.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
In other words, tell me why I should spend $349 on this GALA DAC instead of $119 on the superbly measuring and well-reviewed Topping D30.

And once you answer that, tell me why I should spend $349 on the GALA instead of $349 on the Cambridge DACMagic Plus, which has more connection options than the GALA.

https://www.amazon.com/Cambridge-Au...s&keywords=teac+dac&psc=1&smid=A14FMGGKFTICNN

Again, answer in bullets, to get the differentiation clear in your own mind.

There is a huge amount of competition in this space.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor

You're not marketing to most consumers -- get that straight right away.

Most consumers are perfectly happy listening to compressed, lossy audio on mono bluetooth speakers.

OP
orchardaudio

orchardaudio

Audio Company
Start with a simple example:

Tell me how the GALA is better than the Topping D30.

If you can't answer that in bullet points, you're not ready to make videos.
No other DAC will get a SNR of 130dB and a preamplifier level output of 5Vrms for less than $349.

Also at this price point you will not get any designs with dual DAC chips that completely eliminate crosstalk.

I will make another video emphasizing these points. Will post later.

Veri

Master Contributor
No other DAC will get a SNR of 130dB and a preamplifier level output of 5Vrms for less than $349.

Also at this price point you will not get any designs with dual DAC chips that completely eliminate crosstalk.

I will make another video emphasizing these points. Will post later.

PS this has probably been said so many times but,

If you have your product in a final state on the market in the future, can you please dim or simply eliminate the blue LEDs? They are the opposite of professional looking :D

Top Bottom