• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help with deciding on Streamer and Setup upgrade

spmkd

Hello all,

I currently have Marantz PM6003 + CD6005 + Monitor Audio Bronze bx2

First thing I would like to add is a Network Streamer. I would love to be able to play music from my phone / tablet using services as Tidal YouTube Prime. I was looking into Bluesound NODE (at about 550€ )

Second, I'm planning on replacing most of the parts, starting with the AMP, then the Speakers.

At the moment I'm looking into an amp around 1000€ ( my current pick is/was Cambridge Audio CXA81)

After the Amp, I had a plan to get the KEF R3 or KEF LS50 Meta.

Now, my problem is, the more I read about everything, there is good and bad about all combinations / individual parts.

Any advice the above and suggestions on the below would be GREATLY appreciated:
- Streamer (max 550€)
- Amp (max 1000€)
- Speakers (max 1200€)

Thank you all!

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll preempt the first question you'll get. What size room, positioning etc. What typical volume level do you want to listen at.

Once that's known you'll get speaker recommendations which then determine the amp specs.

Willem

Major Contributor
Sonos amp? You get a pretty beefy amp and a very versatile streamer, all in one box that can be put out of sight. This will also leave you more money for speakers, and that is where it matters. As for speakers, how about a pair of Elac BDR62s plus two or even more decent subwoofers (and Multi Sub Optimizer and a minidsp 2x4HD)

OP
S

spmkd

Size of the room is 4.5 X 5m, center staged against the wall (speakers are at about 50cm from the wall). Typical volume for listening is around 55 - 65dB depending on the mood / time of day.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Before you spend a ton of money on a streamer check the review index / audio electronics > search "streamer". A 40.00 Nano3 or raspberry pi will work better than most of the prepackaged unit.

OP
S

spmkd

How about Rega Elex-R? It is in the range I mentioned for AMP, but I would definitely need streamer / dac as well. Any toughts?

Willem

Major Contributor
That Rega amp does not have meaningfullly more power, and that is the only thing that would improve amplifier performance beyond what you have. It does not even have tone controls etc.
If you want to experiment with a streamer, get the discontinued Chromecast Audio. Current price should be around 50 euros, but I am not sure what it would be in other markets. The analogue output from the inbuilt DAC is good enough, but it also has an optical digital output. I use a few of them, including in my quite fancy main system, and the sound quality is perfect. If you want to upgrade immediately, I would go for the Sonos Amp. It has a lot of clean power, a very good integrated and widely supported streamer, and great looks. Because it is a class D amplifier it also has low energy consumption.

Last edited:

KMM

Suggestion:
Audiophonics Streamer/DAC with integrated RPi4 (runs all kinds of streaming software) around €500
Audiophonics power amp provides ample power to drive any kind of reasonably designed speaker € 800

leaves you with about 1500€ for speakers like

Nubert Nuboxx for around 1000 €

or a different concept

Raspberry RPi 4 with with HiFiberry Digi out HAT casing etc and software like Ropieee or Volumio for 250€

active speakers Nubert SP500 for around €1400

JSmith

Master Contributor
Audiophonics Streamer/DAC with integrated RPi4 (runs all kinds of streaming software) around €500
@spmkd, if you happen to go for this option and are in the US, it would be great if you have it shipped to Amir first for testing. It would be interesting to see if the IMD hump is gone;

JSmith

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
See if you can find recently disconnected R-N803 Yamaha (whose around 800€), if it fits you (and you can find one of course) pure rest of the money toward speakers.

MarkS

Major Contributor
As a new owner of a Lyngdorf TDAI-1120 integrated amp, I am blown away by how much improvement you get from room correction and simple equalization. The 1120 also includes a streamer that handles all common services.

I would keep your current speakers, and buy a small subwoofer and the Lyngdorf (which also has bass management for subwooofer integration).

Top Bottom