• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Put Together a $5k to $7k System?

Seatown7

Alrighty. Since y’all have killed my dream system with all your sciency facts and objective reasoning, what would you put together for a reasonably priced system for the average size living room?

Must have streaming capabilities since you disapprove of the shiny black circles I’ve collected…
Small to medium towers or bookshelf’s on stands with spouse friendly looks. Subwoofer if need be…I like bass, but I’m not an addict.
Amplification that can do late night, low volume, jazz and acoustics but still crank the occasional Pixies/Clash/Sabbath indulgence.
I’ll entertain suggestions for EQs like the Schmitt Loki…or something with Dirac…but let’s not get carried away.
Room is average carpeted box, with a window and a large black Labrador as a sound deadening device.

Whatcha got?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I’ll entertain suggestions for EQs like the Schmitt Loki…or something with Dirac…but let’s not get carried away.
A software EQ/PEQ is the best route to go. For PC use this and this together and they form one package that is easy to use. All free software. If you want to get technical and set the PEQ that way then use this microphone and this free software.

Last edited:

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

Welcome to ASR.

Thanks to ASR I know now that 5 to $7K is the province of extreme performance full range systems :p.
There is no doubt , that going for the fan favorite, Genelec would bring great results. I believe however that excellent, similar and in some ways superior results could be obtained with different brands that have been proven to be excellent via objective testing/reviewing. JBL, Kef, Revel come to mind. There are others

Looks like hyperbole but it is not

Start with a good AVR. Knee-jerk choice: Denon AVR-X3700. it can do it all and well. It also has Audyssey XT32 and it's better than many think. It has in particular. Dynamic EQ which is the real deal ... Audyssey is also good in the bass .. Overall results are definitely better than the jokes from Pioneer, Yamaha or Onkyo... Some of the newer Onkyo and Pioneer have Dirac... The jury is out. Audyssey, especially with the mobile App and now Desktop (potentially better) App works and well. I use it and am pleased. Amir has also reviewed it, and found it to work well. $1500. It is alos resonably powerful ( about 7 x 105 watts/ch) provides pre-output for 9 channels + 2 Subwoofers. Decode Atmos , is a Spotify endpoint, Is an Airplay endpoint. 2 HDMI outpu and is 4K ready. it can function as a preamp for some channels and amp for others. i use it that way. Preamp to my five active speakers and amp to my 2-Atmos ceiling channels plus 2 subs.. I have its older sibling the X-3400H , the 3700 is newer and better.

Speakers

Option for 2-Channels:
A pair of JBL 708p about $3700
A pair of HSU-VTF12 about $1200.
a miniDSP 2x4 HD: $250
a miniDSP UMik-1: $100

Options for MultiChannel

Kef R3 $1800/Pair
One Kef R3 $900 a bit iffy, they're sold in pair. Kef has an "R" Series center channel, the R2C @ $750... It is likely good, it uuses a similar coaxial driver. I would have preferred the R3 as center channel
A pair of Kef Q350 $450/pair
A pair of HSU-VTF12 about $1200.
a miniDSP 2x4 HD: $250
a miniDSP UMik-1: $100

You could in the beginning remove the miniDSP 2 x4 HD to save a few bucks... I believe however that it brings a lot to the system when you configure the subwoofers with the miniDSP 2x4 and present the combo as one subwoofer to Audyssey. In my case after more than 50 years in the Audio hobby and having spent serious money .. I am still picking my jaw off the floor with the results of my own audio system based on the enon X-3400, JBL LSR 308, 305 and a pair of $250 subwoofer from Dayton Audio. Budget about $3000,

There are other speakers combination that would bring joy, within your budget> I believe the heart of the system must be a good , versatile AVR: the Denon AVR-X3700.

Peace

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would disagree with the above post. Stay with stereo maybe 2.1.
Use the review index to pick components.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why not MC? Seriously ?
The OP said what he listens to. MC is for video playback. Also you need a great room to start with. 2.1 is so much easier to get great. AVR's are mediocre at best.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
........ Since y’all have killed my dream system with all your sciency facts and objective reasoning........... and a large black Labrador as a sound deadening device.
:D

(Sorry - nothing to offer in the way of recommendation - your budget outstrips mine)

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
Alrighty. Since y’all have killed my dream system with all your sciency facts and objective reasoning, what would you put together for a reasonably priced system for the average size living room?

Must have streaming capabilities since you disapprove of the shiny black circles I’ve collected…
Small to medium towers or bookshelf’s on stands with spouse friendly looks. Subwoofer if need be…I like bass, but I’m not an addict.
Amplification that can do late night, low volume, jazz and acoustics but still crank the occasional Pixies/Clash/Sabbath indulgence.
Room is average carpeted box, with a window and a large black Labrador as a sound deadening device.

Whatcha got?
How much are you going to spend on cables? Would suggest no more than 70%!

TurtlePaul

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Perfect budget for 2x Neumann KH 310 and a Neumann KH 750 sub. Sub includes the DSP when room correction is needed. Includes digital and analog inputs. Can upgrade to 2x KH 750 with a sub under each monitor down the line.

Neumann KH 310 + KH 750 Thread

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Whatcha got?
I'm quite happy with my living room system which is in your price range

You can replace the front end with a miniDSP SHD if you have room for it. Revel F208 or F206 are also excellent speaker choices but got rejected by my wife on the basis of not fitting in with the decor. Two subs would be an excellent idea too but also was rejected for the same reason.

Triliza

Forum Donor
You could help recommendations if you narrow things a little bit.

Firstly, multichannel or stereo. You know the answer.

Secondly, passive or active speakers. I'll guess you need passive, it's more easy to go after the dream system that way, with science in mind of course :p

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You've just asked me to describe my exact system: Bluesound Node, Topping D30Pro DAC, NAD C298 power amp and KEF R11 speakers. Can't imagine spending $7-8K and getting better fidelity.

red_kk

Forum Donor
You've just asked me to describe my exact system: Bluesound Node, Topping D30Pro DAC, NAD C298 power amp and KEF R11 speakers. Can't imagine spending $7-8K and getting better fidelity.
I have R11, SMSL SU9n DAC, Parasound A31 but my streamer is a very old Apple TV connected via optical cable to my receiver in bypass mode to my DAC. I just stream apple music via this setup. Do you think upgrading to Bluesound in my system will make significant difference in sound quality? Streamer is the only missing link in my setup but I want to see how much of a difference it makes. If you have access to an Apple TV would you mind swapping it out with Bluesound and let me know your observations?

Basically here is my music path: Apple TV (optical cable) -> Denon AVR (Pure Direct mode) -> SMSL DAC -> Parasound A31 -> R11

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

red_kk

Forum Donor
Yes you can do better then the old Apple TV but look at at the review index. Good streamers can be had for 100.00. This is not a good streamer https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/bluesound-node-review-streamer.25578/
SINAD for the Bluesound is bad coz Amir is measuring the DAC function. Since I have external SMSL DAC i'll be bypassing the DAC of bluesound and just want to use it as a streamer. So mainly i'm interested in lower jitter clean digital output from the streamer so the SMSL DAC can do its thing.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
SINAD for the Bluesound is bad coz Amir is measuring the DAC function. Since I have external SMSL DAC i'll be bypassing the DAC of bluesound and just want to use it as a streamer. So mainly i'm interested in lower jitter clean digital output from the streamer so the SMSL DAC can do its thing.
550.00 is a lot to pay for that function.

Top Bottom