• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Subwoofer(s) next to MLP

just1n

Forum Donor
Hey community,

I’m continuing my new surround sound setup journey and looking for some feedback. Small and squarish space at 10’W x 13’L looking to add 1, but more likely, 2 subwoofers. Speakers/TV on short wall. We only have three corners as the front left is an open hallway.

If I can find a small enough size, I’m curious what the consequences could be by placing one or two on either side of the couch under side tables. The couch is tight to the rear wall, so they cannot be placed any distance behind the MLP. We’re talking 5’ to either side of MLP.

Are there any predictable downsides placing subs that close to the MLP? I assume I could decrease the sub levels by having them directly beside the MLP.

I’m eyeing the SVS 3000 micros because sub-30hz output at very high output is not my goal. SB1000pro might be just too big. Wish I could because it would save some cash.

Thanks everyone

Edit: my normal listening level is not high and my priorities are smooth/balanced bass and cancelling room modes. Nothing room shaking or boomy.

Last edited:

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Depends on your crossover point IMO. Might have a slight amount of localization if using the typical 80Hz second order filter.

You pay a big price premium for the 3000 Micro. Rather than putting the subs underneath the table, have you considered DIY subs? The tables themselves can become subwoofers, with capability equal to the SB-1000 Pro, or even superior depending on your budget.

OP
J

just1n

Forum Donor
Appreciate the idea but adding subs is more our speed. She looked hard to find the tables she likes. It would be a tough sell to convince her to let them go for me to fabricate subs. Also, I only have a circular saw.

FeddyLost

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Are there any predictable downsides placing subs that close to the MLP?
Try out with room simulation in REW if they will improve sound before.
My simulation looks almost OK, a bit boomy at first modes, but it's OK for small rooms an can be EQed out.
1657185662472.png

Personally I don't see any downsides if you can fit them really close to MLP, EQ as you want and make crossover steep.
Maybe you'll need to adjust phase/delays for better coherency if your mains are far away (i.e. close to front wall and you are close to back wall).

PS If tables are not massive and damped, they can rattle at bass peaks.

OP
J

just1n

Forum Donor
Speaking of rattling, is there any vibrational benefit to subwoofer isolation pads like the auralex subdude?

MarkS

Major Contributor
I have the 3000 micro in a 21x13 room. One is plenty!

Use room eq to fix room modes, the ones above the sub range are the most problematic.

OP
J

just1n

Forum Donor
I have the 3000 micro in a 21x13 room. One is plenty!

Use room eq to fix room modes, the ones above the sub range are the most problematic.
Thanks @MarkS. May I ask what speakers you have as well? Wondering how they compare in style to my R3s.

Top Bottom