• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GR Research Klipsch RP-600M Upgrade Review (speaker)

Rate this speaker mod:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 10 5.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 40 20.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 118 61.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 23 12.0%

• Total voters

DSJR

Major Contributor
And I know that in typical ASR fashion you're gonna argue through A+B+C that the mods make the RP600M objectively better and that I'm a moron for arguing otherwise.
Who, ME???

The lower cost speaker market has been well shaken up in recent times I think you'll find, yep even in boring old UK. Good design and cheap far eastern manufacturing, along with forward strides in similar size models which seem to be popular(?) means to me that other makers are going to be left behind if they don't refine what they have. I'm sure there's enough of the mk1 model left in this one to identify it in slightly more than sighted comparison. Over here it's expensive sadly, especially with some of the new active models which sell for similar amounts here.

I haven't heard these, but I know their copper coned ancestors a bit and from memory, they were great at stripping paint or trying to remove tooth fillings - it was kind of taken for granted and accepted, at least this side of the pond.

Look, both models are still available, so let the Klipsch buyer make their own mind up eh? I'm pleased the excesses have been tamed in the V2 model, but I bet it's still an 'engaging' listen in the way the brand is noted for.

Nwickliff

These comparisons kinda miss the point. You're expecting too much for $600. Yes, the RP600M are compromised. But they're also the top of the pack for $600. Maybe you're expecting too much.
I'm the owner of these speakers and arguing for them and the mod. I agree people are expecting too much for $600! I, however, am satisfied and don't expect anything more than what I have. Some day I'll try a pair of Revels for comparison.

Nwickliff

I haven't heard these, but I know their copper coned ancestors a bit and from memory, they were great at stripping paint or trying to remove tooth fillings - it was kind of taken for granted and accepted, at least this side of the pond.
I went through the progression of RF82II that absolutely took my head off at loud volumes, to Heritage Heresy which has elevated highs but drops rather quickly past 12K, to Heritage Forte 1 and 2 with the similar response but with actual bass, to Heritage Chorus 1 and 2, with just larger radiators and woofers, to RP600M. The only tweeter that hurt was the RF82II. The others were less than perfect but didn't take your head off like the RF82II. Just my experience.

Nwickliff

They're not, though - you're underestimating what can be had for $600, especially in the used market you brought into play ;)
Then put up or shut up. Put your money where your mouth is, show me the goods, the proof is in the pudding. Make an argument with some actual facts with some actual speakers. I’m curious, not to prove anyone wrong, but it would be great information to have when looking for the next piece of kit. I know I’ll probably go active next…but already have several amps etc.

tvih

Then put up or shut up. Put your money where your mouth is, show me the goods, the proof is in the pudding. Make an argument with some actual facts with some actual speakers. I’m curious, not to prove anyone wrong, but it would be great information to have when looking for the next piece of kit. I know I’ll probably go active next…but already have several amps etc.
I'm not in the US, so I'm not gonna looking around used stuff for you there when you can do it yourself. I've got better things to do as I spend enough time looking at such listings in my own country/area. Brands there and here can be quite different in price and availability, so giving examples of what's available here doesn't help much either (like with the Alpha B1 apparently). People post great finds all the time in various forums though... and the r/BudgetAudiophile sub-reddit is one such place as well. And I gave an example of a good find of my own as well. Just because you're oblivious to the potential of the used market doesn't invalidate my point in the slightest. You just have to actually take some time to look at all listings of speakers or whatever else you're looking for, and look for the good deals regardless of any specific brand or model. Of course this does require knowledge of what's actually worth even looking at and at what price, but that comes with research & experience. And places like Hifishark give examples of currently listed speakers/other audio devices from around the world for price comparisons of specific equipment.

Is it as convenient as grabbing some mediocre deal of easier availability? No, but it shouldn't be too hard either. But it's also the exact reason why directly comparing new and used quickly becomes a fool's errand: they're completely different beasts.

And one last time: regardless the of RP-600M itself (which is apparently even currently available new for $300 - see below - which seems a good price for it), the upgrade crossover - which is of course the actual main topic of this whole thread/review - is way overpriced despite the improvement it gives because you can get much more improvement for that money via other means. That is an actual bloody fact, so take it or leave it.

Last edited:

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
Folks the original RP-600m is $300 brand new right now in the USA from an authorized dealer.
ADORAMA. You must link through the Slickdeals website to get the discount. The whole line has been vastly discounted the last month or two to make way.

I understand the temptation yet I still can't believe the folks who have never heard these speakers commenting with so much confidence especially with the OBJECTIVE data being pretty good for both the PEQ'd Stock unit and the GR mod.
Plus commenting about other speakers they also have never heard.
Totally strange times.

I used this speaker.
The tweeter is slightly bright in stock form due to the tuning NOT due to any material or inherent tweeter unit problem.
The tweeter is not even remotely brash, harsh or fatiguing but the response needs a slight trim IMHO. With the trim it is a smooth tweeter. Subjectively I am a tweeter guy, I love to pay attention to the highs. They are important to me, I do not do bad highs.
The midrange may affect different music different. Electronica = good look finding it. Vocals yes, in fact it made some stuff more listenable. Mellowed out some of the annoying human voice overtones and harmonics and schrill recordings. Some things are set back in the mix a bit more than other speakers and less present. Was it bad? Not really, but the highs did need that trim.

This is not a V-curve speaker AT ALL. It has a midrange dip that can EASILY be adjusted to taste. Elevated highs that can be adjusted to taste or due to the narrow dispersion design may actually be right on the money in some cases. There is zero boosted or boomy bass unless you have room issues.
In fact I actually can not believe any of the usual suspects that take the hearing aids out for shoot like Gutenberg who said the woofer is not detailed and perhaps warm or "V". Nope, not a chance and the data serves this up clearly as well...
Low distortion (for the price class) and slightly shelved down. As far details go you decide while you have an actual listen.

Fixed up. Would I pick it over my stunning Revel M126be set? Hell no. The M16's nope. The rocking JBL L82's, naw.
The (IMPO) anemic ELAC DBR-62 YUP. The KEF R3 - maybe and factoring in price YES.

noiseangel

noiseangel

They're not, though - you're underestimating what can be had for $600, especially in the used market you brought into play ;) Even when buying new looking for sales makes a lot of sense.

There is a reason there are more Krapsch available then Elac. They are rubbish and people want to unload them.
Even with the mod.

noiseangel

Gee will you look at that. Who would have thought you could get all that speaker straight out of the box for so little money. No miniDSP or Danny mod needed here. And only $600 shipped. Nope you can't get a speaker as good as the modified Krapsch for under $600. Like hell you can't.

Conclusions
The ELAC DBR-62 objectively and subjectively meets and exceeds my expectations. It is "Andrew Jones" as I expected but had been missing up to now. It is "high-end" sound on a budget with little to apologize for. I was sad to stop listening to it to type this review! It is that good.

Nwickliff

Gee will you look at that. Who would have thought you could get all that speaker straight out of the box for so little money. No miniDSP or Danny mod needed here. And only $600 shipped. Nope you can't get a speaker as good as the modified Krapsch for under $600. Like hell you can't.

Conclusions
The ELAC DBR-62 objectively and subjectively meets and exceeds my expectations. It is "Andrew Jones" as I expected but had been missing up to now. It is "high-end" sound on a budget with little to apologize for. I was sad to stop listening to it to type this review! It is that good.
Wow someone found a single speaker that measures better out of the box. Out of the thousands of speakers produced you managed to find one! That definitely makes this a crap speaker and a crap mod….SMH… this is so sad you guys. Really it is. Also, I don’t like wide dispersion. I like narrow and controlled since I don’t treat my walls and it gives a stronger center image (I don’t run a center channel if I don’t have to). To each their own there. I’m done. You people are exhausting.

noiseangel

Wow someone found a single speaker that measures better out of the box. Out of the thousands of speakers produced you managed to find one! That definitely makes this a crap speaker and a crap mod….SMH… this is so sad you guys. Really it is. Also, I don’t like wide dispersion. I like narrow and controlled since I don’t treat my walls and it gives a stronger center image (I don’t run a center channel if I don’t have to). To each their own there. I’m done. You people are exhausting.
And out of the thousands of speakers produced you managed to buy one that needed a complete modification with Danny's help because out of the box, even by Krapsch own admission by fixing up its problems in V2, it was rubbish. Just plain embarrassing.

tvih

And what the heck is it with that "strong center image"? I've never heard hifi speakers that DON'T have a strong center image.

And one pair out of thousands my butt. The B1s already measured better. So do a bunch of others, like the JBL A130 which is 300 or less new. The 600M does NOT measure uncommonly well stock. But what can you do when the man has his head buried deep in the sand.

Last edited:

kokakolia

Conclusions
You're quoting reviews. I'm shaking my head knowing that you haven't listened to the ELAC DBR-62 or the Klipsch RP600M.

noiseangel

You're quoting reviews. I'm shaking my head knowing that you haven't listened to the ELAC DBR-62 or the Klipsch RP600M.
Assumptions, assumptions. I have listened to both speakers. The Elac at Frank Prowse HiFi and the Krapsch at West Coast Hifi, both in Perth. I have already stated my dislike for anything Krapsch and why. You should stop shaking your head so much as its given you brain damage. So therefore you know nothing. Which makes you look quite silly.

kokakolia

Assumptions, assumptions. I have listened to both speakers. The Elac at Frank Prowse HiFi and the Krapsch at West Coast Hifi, both in Perth. I have already stated my dislike for anything Krapsch and why. You should stop shaking your head so much as its given you brain damage. So therefore you know nothing. Which makes you look quite silly.
Ok! I'm happy that you made your choice. You must be fun at parties BTW.

JSmith

Master Contributor
Any deviation from the 'ideal curve' is heresy on ASR.
That's absolutely not correct.

Klipsch lovers be like, horns...

1840634860_BlackGateJubesMeme.jpg.ae04a50c2e5c820f27dea646bad13ba4.jpg

JSmith

kokakolia

That's absolutely not correct.

Klipsch lovers be like, horns...

1840634860_BlackGateJubesMeme.jpg.ae04a50c2e5c820f27dea646bad13ba4.jpg

JSmith
Jokes on you I run fullrange drivers with a tube amplifier. If this were 100 BC I would have been crucified or stoned to death on the ASR forums for saying this LOL.

And I thought the Klipsch RP600M were pretty good but I wasn't in love. I gave my honest opinion.

Moreover, the high end Klipsch speakers are grossly overpriced and I'll never have a chance to listen to a pair. Some people say that the high end stuff is truly Klipsch and the low end is generic.

Top Bottom