• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hypex Announces New and Improved NCOREx Class-D Amplifier Technology

Gregss

Yes that makes sense, as long as your realize that the hotter unit actually generates less heat.
Hello,

Yes, class D amps use power much more efficiently. And if you don't cram class D amp modules into the smallest possible cases with no or little ventilation, they run pretty cool.

Personally I use a quite large case for my modules so that there is lot of room to keep things and wiring separate to minimize any possible interaction by RF or magnetic coupling as well as to keep things as cool as possible. I even us thermal coupling compound on the amp modules so that they are getting as much heat transferred into the chassis as possible. (Not necessary.) I have worked in the medical electronics field for over 40 years and firmly believe well designed equipment that runs cooler lasts longer. So I may overdo the cooling, but this is DIY and I do it because I want to.

IMHO this extra cooling and spacing between components costs not a lot and is well worth it.

Regards,
Greg

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So I asked about the NCx500OEM to Tibor from Apollon, and he says "these modules will be available for purchase next year. According to Hypex, they have not started with final production yet". So lots of waiting ahead...

Descartes

Major Contributor
So I asked about the NCx500OEM to Tibor from Apollon, and he says "these modules will be available for purchase next year. According to Hypex, they have not started with final production yet". So lots of waiting ahead...
Oh well

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@Hypexsales is the NCOREx technology in the Nilai500 with just another name, or are they completely different technologies (and why)?

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
@Hypexsales is the NCOREx technology in the Nilai500 with just another name, or are they completely different technologies (and why)?
I asked the same in the Nilai thread. It would be nice to know what the main differences are between the two, especially as somebody posted that there will also be some Nilai OEMs coming at some point.

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I even ordered a custom t-shirt since there is no official merch. 2 kool 4 school! lol :D @Hypexsales

IMG_20220702_101800.jpg

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Funny nobody on this thread has acknowledged that this module has a built on buffer. And measurements are with the buffer in the signal path. The only other module with a buffer in the signal path is the NC400. Having a buffer in the signal path increases noise and distortion. Regardless of how good the buffer is. So when comparing with buffer-less modules, make sure you compare with a good buffer used together with it.
I seen someone mention that the NC400 measures better. Well certainly not if you focus on the IMD, which matters 100x more than anything for sound quality.

For example here’s the 100W 18.5+19.5khz IMD of the NC400:

View attachment 234029

And here’s the same measurement with the NCx500:

View attachment 234030

The NCx500 is a whopping 23dB better at 1khz, and 18dB better at 17khz. This is drastically superior. Not to mention it’s 300w more powerful into 4 ohms.
Welcome to ASR.
I did notice that the new NCx500 now has a buffer, as opposed to the former NC500 (and NC400) which were bufferless. In fact it is stated in the article on the fist post: "the new NCx500 OEM module features an on-board, high-end buffer stage combining Hypex' established HxR discrete regulators with carefully selected, high-grade components"

Also it is not not their first amp module with buffer: both NC1200 and NC2k have a buffer, which can be bypassed if needed.

IMD on Hypex NCoreX NCx500 is around -118dB worst case in 17 kHz, which is even a little better than the new Purif 1ET7040SA around -113dB. They don't show the measurement in 100W but it is kind of the same in 10W or 200W, so safe to assume 100W is like that too.

purifi 7040sa.jpg

Just waiting for the NCx500 OEM to be released and upgrade my amp! :D

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If the Purifi module wasn't endgame for poweramps, this seems like it might be, assuming these numbers hold up, which I think they will.

In what listening scenario might noise or distortion become audible, supposing you have one of these fed by one of those lovely 120dB DACs? I don't know exactly how to calculate the net SINAD but it's got to be under -100. Unless you are listening to actual 120dB peaks it's hard to imagine needing anything more than this...

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Mike, do you know the gain of the module with and without its buffer?

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hard to say if there will be any audible differences between the 1ET400A and the NCx500. I have some NCx500 modules in route right now and will blind test against the 1ET400A’s with an exceptional input buffer and supply’s of the same quality with different voltage outputs. If the NCx500’s sound at least as good to my ears I’m jumping ship to Hypex again. For amp modules anyways.

I mean in theory, what kind of signal would you need for that noise level to be "probably audible" at all, let alone relative to the purifi?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
And extremely low IMD makes a playback system provide the illusion that the band is in the room. Not noise. Or THD for that matter if it’s better than -100dB.
What is "extremely low"? And are you saying that harmonic distortion is audible above -100 dB?

dorakeg

Hard to say if there will be any audible differences between the 1ET400A and the NCx500. I have some NCx500 modules in route right now and will blind test against the 1ET400A’s with an exceptional input buffer and supply’s of the same quality with different voltage outputs. If the NCx500’s sound at least as good to my ears I’m jumping ship to Hypex again. For amp modules anyways.

IMHO, you will probably need to drive them to their max for any differences (if any) to appear. Under normal condition, there won't be any difference.

dorakeg

Well I could easily hear that music sounds more realistic from the Purifi modules than the original NC500 modules. With all else being equal in the system. So they certainly made some audible improvements, in which the Purifi team figures was attributed to a large reduction in IMD. Where the threshold of audibility occurred between the improvements made between the NC500 and the 1ET400A, I can’t say for sure. However I believe they have achieved amplification excellence at a level that is unlikely to be improved audibly. There will always be a weaker link in the chain to focus on.

So moving forward the only way to really add value to the amp module space is to at least match the IMD of the Purifi, and also:

-Lower cost
- Make it easier to implement (IE onboard buffer)
-Increase power output
-Increase efficiency
-Decrease size

I feel Hypex has achieved most of those goals with the NCx500 on paper. However I’ll let my ears be the final judge.

Regarding THD, I don’t think it’s an issue anymore once -100dB is achieved. Perhaps even higher. But it’s fairly easy to meet the -100dB goal these days. So I’d aim for at least that.

How do you actually tell the sound is "more realistic"??

Tangband

Major Contributor
Very interesting this new technology. Im surprised though, that some of you wants to buy this amplifier and still have passive crossovers with ironcoils in the signal path. If the SINAD of this new HYPEX technology is 120, then your SINAD ( If you have ironcoils in the crossover ) is less than 30 If playing loud.

In a three way loudspeaker, you will have better soundresults If you go active with three tpa3255 poweramps than with a passive loudspeaker with this new HYPEX.

Tangband

Major Contributor
I‘m definitely onboard with that post. The weakest link in most peoples audio systems are the crappy passive crossovers. Regardless of how good the parts are. Complete waste of source gear, amps, and drivers when mixed with passive crossovers in 2022 and beyond.
Very true.
This new HYPEX could be the icing on the cake in an already active setup.

Last edited:

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Funny nobody on this thread has acknowledged that this module has a built on buffer. And measurements are with the buffer in the signal path. The only other module with a buffer in the signal path is the NC400. Having a buffer in the signal path increases noise and distortion. Regardless of how good the buffer is. So when comparing with buffer-less modules, make sure you compare with a good buffer used together with it.
I seen someone mention that the NC400 measures better. Well certainly not if you focus on the IMD, which matters 100x more than anything for sound quality.

For example here’s the 100W 18.5+19.5khz IMD of the NC400:

View attachment 234029

And here’s the same measurement with the NCx500:

View attachment 234030

The NCx500 is a whopping 23dB better at 1khz, and 18dB better at 17khz. This is drastically superior. Not to mention it’s 300w more powerful into 4 ohms.
Buffer increase noise, true. If properly designed it's distortion will be negligible compared to the amplifier distortion. The IMD graphs you show prove nothing.
Thank you.

The NC400 also has a buffer. Which cant be bypassed. It’s a discrete design that Bruno came up with. The 1200 and 2K do have an optional onboard buffer. However it’s quite mediocre compared to the buffer on the NC400. And nobody measures it with it in the signal path. The NCx500 has a high end discrete buffer similar to whats on the NC400. Also with their super low noise HxR regulators to power the buffer and modulator stage. Although it is bypassable, 3rd party integrators will have a very hard time beating it with an external board. So this also decreases the cost. As a simple $10 interface I/O board is all that’s required with it.
Do you have numbers to backup your claims one the NC1200 and NC2k "mediocre" buffer?
Why would a discrete buffer be high end?
Quality of the modulator supply has absolutely no effect on the 1ET400A performance.
Now let’s compare to the former king the Purifi 1ET400A, wth Purifi’s buffer implementation in the signal path. I only have THD+N to work with.

Purifi 1ET400A buffered:

View attachment 234042

NCx500 buffered:

View attachment 234044
At 5W this translates to a SINAD of -115dB. NCx500 has 11dB better THD+N. And an additional 325w available! And no need to buy a buffer.
You are comparing apple to oranges. The 1ET400A THD+N vs power looks like this:
index.php

It shows a much better handling of distortion above 10 W.
Seems you are an OEM. It could be an idea to PM @amirm , @AdamG247 and @BDWoody to get your "Manufacturer" badge ;)
Well I could easily hear that music sounds more realistic from the Purifi modules than the original NC500 modules. With all else being equal in the system. So they certainly made some audible improvements, in which the Purifi team figures was attributed to a large reduction in IMD. Where the threshold of audibility occurred between the improvements made between the NC500 and the 1ET400A, I can’t say for sure. However I believe they have achieved amplification excellence at a level that is unlikely to be improved audibly. There will always be a weaker link in the chain to focus on.

So moving forward the only way to really add value to the amp module space is to at least match the IMD of the Purifi, and also:

-Lower cost
- Make it easier to implement (IE onboard buffer)
-Increase power output
-Increase efficiency
-Decrease size

I feel Hypex has achieved most of those goals with the NCx500 on paper. However I’ll let my ears be the final judge.

Regarding THD, I don’t think it’s an issue anymore once -100dB is achieved. Perhaps even higher. But it’s fairly easy to meet the -100dB goal these days. So I’d aim for at least that.
- Purifi IMD is slightly better.
- Purifi efficiency is A LOT better, making it also easier to integrate due to thermals.
- Due to thermals, system cost will not be lower.
The 2 last points being optional for people just slapping modules in a box.

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Sounds like someone has some inventory to unload before the floodgates open up on this module
Someone is known to be honest with his customers and wonders what is the value added for them with this module. The same someone has enough production volume to unload his inventory several times before this comes on the market.
That you try to be back in the game by surfing on the potential next fashion is another story Mike.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Well I could easily hear that music sounds more realistic from the Purifi modules than the original NC500 modules.
Can I guess that this was evaluated without basic controls?
Regarding THD, I don’t think it’s an issue anymore once -100dB is achieved.
What about -90? -80? Spectral composition? This just seems unsupported and arbitrary.

Reactions: ENG

Chester

Best part about this module is it’s gonna blow all the junk with custom input buffers out of the water for a fraction of the price. Weed out all the deadweight in the industry.

I wouldn‘t be surprised if we see complete stereo amps hit the market using these that blow all Purifi based amps away for about $750 USD.

How can you “blow away” audibly transparent?

Reactions: ENG
Top Bottom