• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bluesound Node Review (Streamer)

LuvTheMusic

Do the latest NODEs come out of the box with the latest firmware?
The answer to that question may be obsolete tomorrow -- whenever a firmware update is released, every Node produced to that point is "behind". But no worries: all Nodes (past and current versions) support over the air updates. The BluOS software will notify you that an update is available, and in my experience the update process is reliable. BTW, updates are free.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do the latest NODEs come out of the box with the latest firmware?
No, but updates are easy and take 10 mins on average. I upgraded a first gen unit for my garage from ebay hook-up to update in 20 minutes. Worked perfectly

pumpy

There’s something about the Node measurements that leaves me confused—I went to my local hifi dealer and demoed an NAD C368 with the BlueOS MDC card installed, powering some Lumina II speakers…and the sound was incredible, nothing about the module made me think it would measure poorly. In fact, the demo basically sold me on going for a solution where I can integrate a BlueOS module in my amp. I’m not questioning the measurements of the node, I believe them, but I just…subjectively what I heard was incredible.

LuvTheMusic

There’s something about the Node measurements that leaves me confused—I went to my local hifi dealer and demoed an NAD C368 with the BlueOS MDC card installed, powering some Lumina II speakers…and the sound was incredible, nothing about the module made me think it would measure poorly. In fact, the demo basically sold me on going for a solution where I can integrate a BlueOS module in my amp. I’m not questioning the measurements of the node, I believe them, but I just…subjectively what I heard was incredible.

First, the Node is a Bluesound product; the C368 is a NAD one. Same parent company, but there will be differences. At a glance, it appears that the C368 is more like a C 658 (streamer/DAC/preamp) with an amplifier added, and it uses a different DAC chip than the Node.

If you want to use a Node, then if you already have a DAC or buy a good but reasonably priced one, you can run the digital output of the Node into that. Amir notes that the digital output of the Node is just fine; his complaints are about the DAC section. Doing this gives you the BluOS functionality with better measured performance.

Amir did not like the C658 either, but (a) the unit that he had may have been broken, (b) a firmware update may have fixed the main issue that he saw, and (c) a number of others on the forum (myself included) liked the performance of that unit. Although the SINAD was nothing special, it's unclear how audible any issues there would be -- obviously those of us happy with the 658 weren't complaining.

FWIW, I previously had a C658, which I really liked; I moved to another setup for reasons unrelated to the performance of the 658. I now have a Node running to an external DAC, and like that setup very much -- the Node, like any decent streamer, has excellent digital output, and the BluOS software is intuitive, supports 20-some streaming services natively, and never lets me down.

pumpy

First, the Node is a Bluesound product; the C368 is a NAD one. Same parent company, but there will be differences. At a glance, it appears that the C368 is more like a C 658 (streamer/DAC/preamp) with an amplifier added, and it uses a different DAC chip than the Node.

If you want to use a Node, then if you already have a DAC or buy a good but reasonably priced one, you can run the digital output of the Node into that. Amir notes that the digital output of the Node is just fine; his complaints are about the DAC section. Doing this gives you the BluOS functionality with better measured performance.

Amir did not like the C658 either, but (a) the unit that he had may have been broken, (b) a firmware update may have fixed the main issue that he saw, and (c) a number of others on the forum (myself included) liked the performance of that unit. Although the SINAD was nothing special, it's unclear how audible any issues there would be -- obviously those of us happy with the 658 weren't complaining.

FWIW, I previously had a C658, which I really liked; I moved to another setup for reasons unrelated to the performance of the 658. I now have a Node running to an external DAC, and like that setup very much -- the Node, like any decent streamer, has excellent digital output, and the BluOS software is intuitive, supports 20-some streaming services natively, and never lets me down.
that's a good point, I guess I was just so impressed with it that I didn't focus on the "the node's dac section isn't good"; I don't know what dac is in the C368, NAD doesn't specify it on their site anywhere I could see it. I know that the NAD C399 has an ESS dac pulled from their masters gear, but even then IDK which one.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
that's a good point, I guess I was just so impressed with it that I didn't focus on the "the node's dac section isn't good"; I don't know what dac is in the C368, NAD doesn't specify it on their site anywhere I could see it. I know that the NAD C399 has an ESS dac pulled from their masters gear, but even then IDK which one.
The C386 uses a Burr-Brown PCM1795 DAC, the C399 uses a ESS Sabre DAC (9028).

Both are nothing special at all.

pumpy

The C386 uses a Burr-Brown PCM1795 DAC, the C399 uses a ESS Sabre DAC (9028).

Both are nothing special at all.
I'm certainly not saying whether the DAC in the C368 is special, just noting the listening experience with the Lumina II's was wonderful. Thanks for the info on which dacs are in the various products, I appreciate it.

Lattiboy

Does the Bluesound Node allow volume control with the THX Onyx on the usb output?

Basically, I’m looking to bypass the internal DAC with the USB THX Onyx DAC, but retain app and HDMI volume control.

LuvTheMusic

If you mean the volume control on the Node, then only the USB output provides that. (Note: USB output is available only on the current model of the Node, not older ones such as the Node 2i. The coax and optical outputs are just passing the original (source) bit stream.) *However*, using that volume control does mean that the Mode is doing some processing. I don't know if that processing is done in the analog or digital domain, but either way you would not be getting the original (source) bit stream sent to the Onyx.

Reactions: CMB

thechez

I just read that post by Bluesound on their message board. It does say they're working on it, which is good, but it doesn't provide a timeline for development. I'm confident they'll find a solution.

Other than the MQA/Roon problem, the Node is fantastic. I only got it a few days ago primarily as a way to connect it to my ARES II DAC, which didn't work well with my laptop when playing Hi Res files using USB. But on the Node, no problems through optical and coax.

Still think the unit is overpriced at $599, especially since the internal DAC isn't anything remarkable. Wish they sold the unit without the DAC for much less.
I agree that the Node is a bit expensive at the $600 range. I got mine open box for about $470 so I was okay with that. I went the route of the Node and making a RasPi streamer as a test. I feel that the RasPi with a hat isn't as clear as the Node. The RasPi with no hat and a DAC is clearer in sound than the Node. I'm going to pick up an SU-9n for my Node and see how that works.
The RasPi is a good alternative but I feel like the OS options aren't as slick as BluOS. However, I used Subsonic for years and wish it was easier to get it on a RasPi and streaming out with no transcoding vs these OS options. BluOS is a bit clunky and hard to find if something isn't tagged exactly how they want it. Volumio seems to eat a lot of memory though and is sluggish.

LuvTheMusic

I agree that the Node is a bit expensive at the $600 range. I got mine open box for about $470 so I was okay with that. I went the route of the Node and making a RasPi streamer as a test. I feel that the RasPi with a hat isn't as clear as the Node. The RasPi with no hat and a DAC is clearer in sound than the Node. I'm going to pick up an SU-9n for my Node and see how that works.
The RasPi is a good alternative but I feel like the OS options aren't as slick as BluOS. However, I used Subsonic for years and wish it was easier to get it on a RasPi and streaming out with no transcoding vs these OS options. BluOS is a bit clunky and hard to find if something isn't tagged exactly how they want it. Volumio seems to eat a lot of memory though and is sluggish.
As to expense, two things:
1) part of the cost of a Node is a "permanent software license" for BluOS, including all upgrades. No annual fee, etc.
2) unless you really want USB output, you can get a used Node, e.g., a Node 2i or earlier. There are DAC upgrades in different models, but if you use an external DAC that doesn't matter.

But it certainly would be nice if they sold a stripped down version: no DAC, no subwoofer out, just a streamer.

Apesbrain

Addicted to Fun and Learning
+1. Would love to see Bluesound do this, or someone else who will include Roon service.
If you are already running Roon, a Raspberry Pi can be a simple streamer with the Ropieee OS:

ATM, RPi hardware can be difficult to find at a reasonable price, but some vendors have them available in kits like this:

If you want S/PDIF output, you'll need an add-on board and a matching case:

If you can wait, Roon support is on the WiiM Mini development timeline for the end of the year; cheaper than a RPi, no assembly required, and optical out!

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1) part of the cost of a Node is a "permanent software license" for BluOS, including all upgrades. No annual fee, etc.
As an owner of four Bluesound units and lifetime Roon that argument breaks down when one buys a second or third $550 Node. They will be forced to come up with some alternate scheme if companies like WiiM are successful and incorporate Roon.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does the Bluesound Node allow volume control with the THX Onyx on the usb output?

Basically, I’m looking to bypass the internal DAC with the USB THX Onyx DAC, but retain app and HDMI volume control.
I use the Node with a Topping D30Pro in preamp mode, outputting digital USB from the Node. I can adjust volume using either the BluOS app or the D30Pro's control (knob and/or remote).

Hope that's helpful.

reddavin

Looking to pair a Bluesound Node with a miniDSP for the dac/outputs to a Topping PA5 amp to Fritz Carrera speakers. Pros/cons? for streaming at this point. Apple Music. Alternatives? At some point I’d like to upgrade the amp. Maybe add a sub (and figure out the balanced/rca cable issue.) None of this is in-house atm.
Thanks!

BannedForever

I'm happy with the Node N130 as a streamer connected to a Denon X6400H via coax. I wish Bluesound would offer a DAC-free and even MQA-free reduced-price Node version. I did try to connect it using the analog out, to test it's internal DAC, and did not notice any difference.

LuvTheMusic

As an owner of four Bluesound units and lifetime Roon that argument breaks down when one buys a second or third $550 Node. They will be forced to come up with some alternate scheme if companies like WiiM are successful and incorporate Roon.
Just curious: given that you control the Node wirelessly, why do you need several of them? Can't Roon direct the output to wherever you need it? Or the built-in BluOS software? As you can guess easily, I have a much simpler one Node to DAC to amps to speakers chain, so I am not up on all of the capabilities or lack thereof.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just curious: given that you control the Node wirelessly, why do you need several of them? Can't Roon direct the output to wherever you need it? Or the built-in BluOS software? As you can guess easily, I have a much simpler one Node to DAC to amps to speakers chain, so I am not up on all of the capabilities or lack thereof.
I have 3 separate systems in different rooms, each wired Ethernet, (main, HT, and garage) and my wife likes her Pulse Mini which goes where she does by WiFi. Can control any and/or all with ether BluOS or Roon via WiFi. Bluesound was the best endpoint solution for me starting in 2017 with computer and lifetime Roon early in 2016. May dump Bluesound if WiiM Mini gets Roon, not sure.

Sam Ash

Have to mention that the USB file management is horrendous. Probabily one of the worse ever made on such device. Definetly not the tool to play your music from your USB library. I suspect Bluesound to push owners to stream via internet rather than play their saved music files (or simply save money not develloping this USB file management) .

Of course you can stream from another device via a third party software and use Bluetooth. But putting such a big effort to make a nice streaming Device/software and totally wasting the USB file management is a total shame and/or a customer rip off.

Has the USB music file management been improved?

Top Bottom