• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tower speaker recommendations under €1500

mvnchies

Hi everyone. I'm currently using Wharfedale Diamond 12.0 speakers which I find really nice - but...
... new place, and I can't use the subwoofer any more, there's simply no room for it anywhere. Too many doors in the living room!
The Wharfedale Diamond 12.0 just don't have any kind of bass extension under around 70Hz in my setup, and the stands don't feel very sturdy which is a little annoying.

So I'm looking at simplifying the setup a lot by getting tower speakers, as they have similar-ish footprint to the stands I have right now. I prefer the way towers look and I imagine I can get some more bass extension (not necessarily loud in volume or super deep, but better than 70 Hz). Some of the best speakers I've heard have been towers as well, but unfortunately way out of my budget (Revel high end ones).

What I'm hoping to get is maybe around 40 Hz -6dB? or so. As long as it doesn't completely disappear for movie watching and music with some deep bass.
I also like not-so-sensitive-to-placement speakers with good dispersion. The room is not very big... around 20m^2, about 3.5m deep.
I do have some wiggle room with rear wall distance, but not more than 35cm... not sure how that will affect things.
Grilles are a must!

Another problem is, I've only ever looked at bookshelf speakers and most reviews on this site are of bookshelf speakers - so I feel a bit overwhelmed with all these new options.
Big fan of the ELAC DBR62 - so I thought maybe the DFR52 could be a good alternative. Measurements don't look too bad from a few images I found on this site, but I don't know much else really.

I am willing to stretch budget if I can be convinced - so, feel free to make any kind of recommendations... :) but 1500 is preferred of course.

Also, if it matters: using a Topping PA5 amplifier, with an SMSL DA-9 DAC. I don't think power is much of an issue, since I don't listen super loud.

Thank you!

behappybevegan

What ever you get at this price point you will miss that sub.
Maybe mounting it to the ceiling is an option?

iMickey503

Forum Donor
thumb_shaquille-oneal-dates-nicole-hoopz-alexander-people-com-53936380.png

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Emotiva T2+ has an -10 dB point of 30Hz so it should work if the way it looks doesn’t push you away.

delta76

Major Contributor
Assuming you are in europe, you can get Focal Aria 948 for that price shipping from France - wait for a good deal. I had a terrible accident with mine, but after the quality is hard to beat

behappybevegan

Assuming you are in europe, you can get Focal Aria 948 for that price shipping from France - wait for a good deal. I had a terrible accident with mine, but after the quality is hard to beat
Can you recommend a French price comparison site for speakers?
Or a shop I should keep an eye on?

delta76

Major Contributor
Can you recommend a French price comparison site for speakers?
Or a shop I should keep an eye on?
idealo.fr. the shop I bought from was fnac.com, although homecinesolutions.fr is very good as well (I was told their CS is the best, but shipping is more expensive ). To avoid cases like mine, check with your local courier to see if they can ship the speakers back to France (their boxes are biggg and heavy).
948 can be overwhelming for smaller rooms but they are very good for that price, especially if you don't want to add a sub. otherwise go with smaller 926

Last edited:

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Did you try to slap those down a bit digitaly? I can't remember right now any flore standing speakers for the price that I can point you to.
This is an example of already pasive slapped activive monitor's.
Don't know if you even can find them anymore as much as I remember they are discontinued anyway its more for an example. There were even 5" one's that could achieve such like Yamahas HS50M and some similar with same (mica) drivers pasive 4 Ohm's one's that I can't recall neither manufacturer or model right now (it will come up eventually I hope).
Good luck in your search.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 19122

Hi everyone. I'm currently using Wharfedale Diamond 12.0 speakers which I find really nice - but...
... new place, and I can't use the subwoofer any more, there's simply no room for it anywhere. Too many doors in the living room!
The Wharfedale Diamond 12.0 just don't have any kind of bass extension under around 70Hz in my setup, and the stands don't feel very sturdy which is a little annoying.

So I'm looking at simplifying the setup a lot by getting tower speakers, as they have similar-ish footprint to the stands I have right now. I prefer the way towers look and I imagine I can get some more bass extension (not necessarily loud in volume or super deep, but better than 70 Hz). Some of the best speakers I've heard have been towers as well, but unfortunately way out of my budget (Revel high end ones).

What I'm hoping to get is maybe around 40 Hz -6dB? or so. As long as it doesn't completely disappear for movie watching and music with some deep bass.
I also like not-so-sensitive-to-placement speakers with good dispersion. The room is not very big... around 20m^2, about 3.5m deep.
I do have some wiggle room with rear wall distance, but not more than 35cm... not sure how that will affect things.
Grilles are a must!

Another problem is, I've only ever looked at bookshelf speakers and most reviews on this site are of bookshelf speakers - so I feel a bit overwhelmed with all these new options.
Big fan of the ELAC DBR62 - so I thought maybe the DFR52 could be a good alternative. Measurements don't look too bad from a few images I found on this site, but I don't know much else really.

I am willing to stretch budget if I can be convinced - so, feel free to make any kind of recommendations... :) but 1500 is preferred of course.

Also, if it matters: using a Topping PA5 amplifier, with an SMSL DA-9 DAC. I don't think power is much of an issue, since I don't listen super loud.

Thank you!
Look at the Heco Direkt and Direkt Dreiklang.Sporting a 12 inch and 18 inch woofer respectively they will have low end that's hard for other towers to match.Rave reviews in the European press and unique looks.
HeDRT.png

Patrick1958

Forum Donor

Grilles are a must!

Thank you!
Magnat floorstanders.
Heco floorstanders.
Teufel Theater 500 floorstander
Teufel Ultima 40 active floorstander.

Tom C

Major Contributor
Is there anything like Monoprice in Europe? They have sturdy stands for low price.
Genelec is pricey, but they have the 1032c. -6dB point is 33Hz.
I would think long and hard about just stacking the bookshelf speakers on top of subwoofers. That may be the best bang for buck, and could be quite effective.
If you’re sure you want towers, Kef offerings are of excellent quality. Right now in USA, Q950 in walnut are on sale $1,600 for a pair. -3dB point is 44Hz.
Extended low frequency output in a tower or a bookshelf is one of the things that makes a speaker more expensive.

OP
mvnchies

mvnchies

What ever you get at this price point you will miss that sub.
Maybe mounting it to the ceiling is an option?

I'm not too fussed about bass, to be entirely honest... it's just the Diamond 12.0 are a bit lacking... I thought 40 Hz -6dB wouldn't be too hard, or maybe I misunderstood the specifications somewhat. I have my bass shelved down to the lowest octaves because I find it overwhelming when "flat" at under 30Hz.

ceiling mount is definitely not an option, unfortunately! I'm a bit too picky about the appearance of my living room :D and it would stick out a lot.

... wow, 1500 for those would be quite something! I do love my Focal headphones, the Clear... but these are almost 4500 euro here in Sweden. it would have to be a Very good deal, if shipping is to be included. looks really good though, just unsure what this means:
looks like it would be a *LOT* of mid-bass there. am I mis-reading it or is the measurement not very accurate?
also, would Aria 936 be a lot worse? I see it has 3 drivers instead of 2 big ones... or 926 as you said!
I'll have to research these more - they look so much more affordable over in Focal-land! even if price is per speaker.

I feel like I'm missing something with these photos... going from tiny diamond 12.0 to towers? :p

Did you try to slap those down a bit digitaly? I can't remember right now any flore standing speakers for the price that I can point you to.
This is an example of already pasive slapped activive monitor's.
Don't know if you even can find them anymore as much as I remember they are discontinued anyway its more for an example. There were even 5" one's that could achieve such like Yamahas HS50M and some similar with same (mica) drivers pasive 4 Ohm's one's that I can't recall neither manufacturer or model right now (it will come up eventually I hope).
Good luck in your search.

I did but it sounded very bad, that's why I added a subwoofer - it's only a cheap 10" subwoofer though. and I have it dialled down so much it's just there to fill in some missing parts... not so much to rumble and shake stuff around, I don't really enjoy that part much.

thank you, I do hope to get tower speakers though, for maybe silly reasons but... it would feel better for me :D

Look at the Heco Direkt and Direkt Dreiklang.Sporting a 12 inch and 18 inch woofer respectively they will have low end that's hard for other towers to match.Rave reviews in the European press and unique looks.View attachment 215924

these look gigantic and probably output a lot more bass than I would need... and well, as said below, price is a little out of budget!
very cool design though.

Magnat floorstanders.
Heco floorstanders.
Teufel Theater 500 floorstander
Teufel Ultima 40 active floorstander.

interesting, these are some I have never seen before. will try to read up on them and look for some measurements.

thank you!
Is there anything like Monoprice in Europe? They have sturdy stands for low price.
Genelec is pricey, but they have the 1032c. -6dB point is 33Hz.
I would think long and hard about just stacking the bookshelf speakers on top of subwoofers. That may be the best bang for buck, and could be quite effective.
If you’re sure you want towers, Kef offerings are of excellent quality. Right now in USA, Q950 in walnut are on sale $1,600 for a pair. -3dB point is 44Hz.
Extended low frequency output in a tower or a bookshelf is one of the things that makes a speaker more expensive.

We do have monoprice.eu - but two subwoofers with good bookshelf speakers would end up costing a lot more... even if better, it seems!
I noticed some put "iso" stands between for stability and whatnot, and even those are pricy - which I'm not sure are needed though...

I would definitely prefer towers but I'll give it a real consideration if I can make it work... adding another Monoprice sub is already €750 there, making the 2 subwoofers cost my entire budget alone.

Genelecs are really cool but - I wonder again if I'm misunderstanding the bass extension spec. at -6dB 40Hz I figured the "flat" point would be around 70Hz... o_O
sorry if I am confusing everyone and asking for a lot when not really needing it.

Q750 are on sale for 1000 euro here right now though. I would love to see measurements of these as the coax driver is intriguing to me.

Thank you!

behappybevegan

Maybe Xtz 99.36 FLR 2021.
1210 a pair.
You can try them for 30 days.
Optional room analyzer for 140 euro.

Top Bottom