• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What’s your favourite Audio YouTuber?

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Well you made it sound like he listend to generic radio pop which is simply not true
He listens to hipster pop, which to me is equally irrelevant.

That right there is the problem with subjectivism: in the moment you do not apply, it has no relevance.

I'm sure Amir is as far in music tastes from me as Darko if not more. Yet I do find his words interesting, basically because they are really revealing, have real soundstage and lift veils.

OP
A

Arianator26

He listens to hipster pop, which to me is equally irrelevant.

That right there is the problem with subjectivism: in the moment you do not apply, it has no relevance.

I'm sure Amir is as far in music tastes from me as Darko if not more. Yet I do find his words interesting, basically because they are really revealing, have real soundstage and lift veils.
Hipster pop made me chuckle
What are you listening to if I may ask?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For me, currently and in English, Erin's Audio Corner, crinacle+, SoundStage, Soundnews, iiWi, Darko, Thomas, Joshua, Acoustics Insider, Julian Krause, Steve Gutenberg "the Audiophiliac", Golden sound, Joe N Tell, Hans, Currawong, Head-Fi, Nemo, Gizaudio, Audio Advice.... I am sure I am forgetting a few.

Of course I don't watch all videos but the ones that interest me from them all.

DanielT

Major Contributor
Jay lab for high end audiophile stuff, Danny for opening popular outdated speakers.
Speaking of old vintage speakers. I have seen three or four pieces of this man's , Kelvin,videos.

Kelvin can be 100% trusted that he always chooses vintage speakers over new ones. New that he, by the way, extremely rarely likes.

100% subjective listening impressions. Sometimes interspersed with incorrect technical analyzes. It's almost like it's a parody of subjective HiFi yuotubers, but I think his videos are serious.:)
In his way of seeing it, serious that is.

Edit:
He thinks as he thinks about how speakers should sound. Of course he can do that, it's subjective.In any case, I do not think he is sponsored and is thus honest in his reviews.

Last edited:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
My late wife was pushing me hard to start doing videos. I resisted because I really don't like the genre. Now my daughter has taken up the idea.

Me: "Here's the problem: I don't have a great look, I don't have a good voice, and the room is a wreck."
Liz: "Well, you could put on a rubber clown nose?"

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@SIY you just need a corner of a room to look pretty, strong lights, a lavalier mic and the camera. This is easy part really. Everyone I know complaints that editing is too time consuming.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
Sorry, I just cannot do it for entertainment if the words coming out of their mouths are Twaddle. Which is almost bound to happen from the entertainer cohort.

yeah, I can't get past the insane bafflegab...it annoys me too much. Any of the traditional, subjective, poetic audiophile guys are unwatchable for me...and the ones who try and pretend they aren't that (cheapaudioman) are just as bad.

The only audio youtube stuff I watch on any regular basis is Alan Ross's bluetooth speaker reviews. He's pretty entertaining and BT speakers are BT speakers...just goofy fun lol. I find his measurements sort of interesting too. Plus you can skip through the overly long sound comparison parts and shorten the vid by 50%.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Sorry, I just cannot do it for entertainment if the words coming out of their mouths are Twaddle. Which is almost bound to happen from the entertainer cohort.

Try to see it from the comedian point of view. Good comedy, the twaddle is part of it. The more twaddle the better the comedy.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
Try to see it from the comedian point of view. Good comedy, the twaddle is part of it.

Unfortunately, I know there's all these people who actually buy the crap the guy is selling...and I can read their comments too. It's just too frustrating and I'm better off not going in at all. If I want comedy I'll watch some John Mulaney.

I find it very odd that most of them (the Guttenbergs and Darkos etc) have such un-wavering confidence in their subjective assessments. I mean even back in my darkest days of audiophoolery I was never very sure of any of my impressions when I would listen to gear and try and make comparisons. "Does this sound better with these new cables than the old ones? I think maybe so??? I'm not sure...yes it does...or does it?? hmmm." To me, their lack of any skepticism about the conclusions they are reaching is a sure sign that they can't really be trusted.

Last edited:

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Unfortunately, I know there's all these people who actually buy the crap the guy is selling...and I can read their comments too. It's just too frustrating and I'm better off not going in at all. If I want comedy I'll watch some John Mulaney.

Haha, be more relaxed. The comments are often a great source of humor too. Its the great Hifi show, and its going on for at least 50 years. The actors changed, the medium changed, away from magazines. But the show is the same. The actors "sell" imaginagion. And the audience enjoys to follow. And the manufacturers enjoy too.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
@SIY you just need a corner of a room to look pretty, strong lights, a lavalier mic and the camera. This is easy part really. Everyone I know complaints that editing is too time consuming.
I have the editor (daughter) but even getting a corner looking pretty… and even worse if I want to show equipment in action.

Yeah, the clown nose still seems the best option.

Vacceo

Major Contributor

I find it very odd that most of them (the Guttenbergs and Darkos etc) have such un-wavering confidence in their subjective assessments. I mean even back in my darkest days of audiophoolery I was never very sure of any of my impressions when I would listen to gear and try and make comparisons. "Does this sound better with these new cables than the old ones? I think maybe so??? I'm not sure...yes it does...or does it?? hmmm." To me, their lack of any skepticism about the conclusions they are reaching is a sure sign that they can't really be trusted.
There´s an even worse kind: the fake humble guy who reiterates that it´s "his oppinion". Luckily many of you do not understand Spanish, but this dude, Francisco del Pozo, has a terrible obsession with Harry Belafonte´s cymbals in his Carnegie Hall as a somehow, mark of quality for high frequencies. Damn, it´s a vynil, if you get super extra highs, it´s because the speakers reinforce those frequencies, not because they are the ultimate tech.

One of the marks of quality of an audiophile that did not do the homework is considering that "these speakers are good for music but bad for films". Then, those are not good speakers, period.

His review of the magnepans is one of the worst dissasters ever recorded.

Newman

Major Contributor
Try to see it from the comedian point of view. Good comedy, the twaddle is part of it. The more twaddle the better the comedy.
I just can’t see the funny side of innocent people being lied to, especially when their money is at stake.

The fact that information is coming second to the cult of personality only makes it worse.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
Oh yes, the "just my humble opinion" guys are bad too.

There´s an even worse kind: the fake humble guy who reiterates that it´s "his oppinion". Luckily many of you do not understand Spanish, but this dude, Francisco del Pozo, has a terrible obsession with Harry Belafonte´s cymbals in his Carnegie Hall as a somehow, mark of quality for high frequencies. Damn, it´s a vynil, if you get super extra highs, it´s because the speakers reinforce those frequencies, not because they are the ultimate tech.

One of the marks of quality of an audiophile that did not do the homework is considering that "these speakers are good for music but bad for films". Then, those are not good speakers, period.

His review of the magnepans is one of the worst dissasters ever recorded.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
I just can’t see the funny side of innocent people being lied to, especially when their money is at stake.

The fact that information is coming second to the cult of personality only makes it worse.

See i cant change it. Its the way humans tend to work. And its somehow funny how we humans tend to work.

Top Bottom