• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of WesionTEK Khadas Tone Board DAC

Ben1987

Audio Company
Right now, you can't. But Khadas are working on a firmware update that will appear within a week or two that makes it computer controlled. They have also hinted that they are about to release a hardware add-on volume control later on.

I'm running a pre-release firmware and so far no problems.
Khadas_Tone_Board_dfu_1206_Upgrade_Notes
1、Added XMOS IO detection volume control function and control the 9038Q2M DAC output volume.It needs a button panel to control the volume and we will provide relevant accessories(need more discussion ) later.
2、Added volume control for Volumio system(RS Pi etc.) and it is not USB HID control mode.
3、Added Windows 32 bit deep source decoding function and display options, 16/24/32 bit deep source decoding function is supported.Some OS only display two kind of bit-depth displays by default.
4、Change the name of Khadas tone board shown in the system to Khadas tone control.

Upgrade Firmware:
https://dl.khadas.com/Firmware/ToneBoard/

image.png881x260 15.2 KB

179ae950d60efaca0d095e42eb5cacf157e4cf3d.png

XMOS Driver()
https://dl.khadas.com/Firmware/ToneBoard/Driver/

image.png940x210 14 KB

Have a good day!

WoodyLuvr

Awesome! Thank you @Ben1987. WesionTEK's customer service has been exceptional from the very second I ordered my Tone Board. It is very much appreciated and well surely take your company and products to great heights if you keep to it. Well done Khadas!

WoodyLuvr

@Ben1987 Good sir, what is the difference between the two (2) XMOS Drivers? "Only for some OS" meaning what exactly???

Nango

Major Contributor
Both types of power supply can be used without conflict, but when usb-c power supply is used, the audio source will automatically switch to usb-c as the audio source.
No, I use the USB-C to power up with a linear PSU but the audio signal comes from the SPDIF. It only switches the audio signal to USB if there is an audio signal coming, otherwise it plays the SPDIF.

Nango

Major Contributor
I bought it just for curiosity unfortunately not as musical as my chord mojo at least via USB. I know this is not the fairest comparison since mojo is 500$ dac and this is just 99$ but based on amir's review they should be very close to each other if not equal good, not my case :( still looking for that giant killer.

I am also undecided when listening vs the iDSD non-BL. The more I listen the more I tend to the iDSD the more musical device, but not for much. It is a really good DAC, at this price unbeatable.

Last edited:

graz_lag

Major Contributor
No, I use the USB-C to power up with a linear PSU but the audio signal comes from the SPDIF. It only switches the audio signal to USB if there is an audio signal coming, otherwise it plays the SPDIF.

Hi :

What version did you buy ?
What model / maker of PSU are you using ?

Thank you !

bunkbail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I use this linear PSU and Schiit Eitr as USB out since day one. I haven't tried to compare against direct USB connection yet because IMO such comparison is hard when you don't have 2 units side-by-side.

WoodyLuvr

Does anyone have an updated step-by-step "How To Update Firmware for Khadas TONE BOARD"?

Veri

Master Contributor
I received Tone V13, 2018/03. I use the Aqvox PSU with such an adapter USB-B to USB-A Olimex -> Tone Board when I feed by Coax (from Digione non-Sig).
https://www.computeraudiophile.com/...for-aqvox-usb-power-supply-generic-wall-wart/

AQVOX USB Power Supply is an older and lesser version of the Iomega ZIP R4W005-100.
AQVOX charging US$100 for a lesser version that can be get online for US$10 is very clever business. But I think there are justifications for this, they did glue a homemade USB plug onto it and add 2 ferrite beads to the power lines, and labour in Germany is very expensive as we all know.

Ouch !

Veri

Master Contributor
@Veri, dont believe every word you read on the net......
I do believe pictures of naked hardware but maybe that's just me ..? :D I remember reading about the AQVOX many years back and it seemed overpriced for what it is, looking at the $10 one from the same Chinese factory that does confirm what I thought honestly.

You are paying for CE certification and USB connectors.

Top Bottom