• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AIYIMA A07 TPA3255 Review (Amplifier)

Timstunes

Forum Donor
Newbie here. I would appreciate any input or comments about pairing the 07 with SMSL Sanskrit 10th Mkii as a preamp powering JBL A130s.

dr_mick51

Newbie here. I would appreciate any input or comments about pairing the 07 with SMSL Sanskrit 10th Mkii as a preamp powering JBL A130s.
They work fine together. I've had a Aiyima A04 with a Sanskrit 10th MKII DAC and a FX Audio Tube 03 Preamp, playing on a Jamo C93 II and they sound pretty nice for an entry level system.

Timstunes

Forum Donor
That's one of my combos also, (with my favorite 49 years old John Bowers speakers).
Only complaint is the pesky smsl remote; or is it the receiver?
Yes I have heard the remote is pretty cheap. I think I will give this a try soon. My new T9 sounds fantastic but it’s flaws are troubling me. Originally thought about this combo or the SMSl AD18. Thanks for your reply!
They work fine together. I've had a Aiyima A04 with a Sanskrit 10th MKII DAC and a FX Audio Tube 03 Preamp, playing on a Jamo C93 II and they sound pretty nice for an entry level system.
Thanks. I would be pairing with Jamo S803s or my JBL A130s. Perhaps I’ll check out the FX03 as well. Thanks. I feel more confident now going forward. I knew they both tested well and have good reviews elsewhere but just wanted some input from users.

YLLYXZMZ

Hey, I've read all 77 pages of this thread and I'm convinced that the A07, or perhaps the A08 may be a good option for me. I don't need the extra features of the A08, but I like the built in PSU, which if I'm reading right is 36V/10A, so is more powerful than the default A07 external PSU.

However, I do have one question that I wonder if any of you have a suggestion about. I'm trying to drive a pair of Magnepan MG20's in a combo home theater / listening room environment. It's a large room (29 ft by 23 ft, 14 ft ceiling), and the Maggies are hard to drive (though they are 4 ohm speakers), and they're in this home theater environment, I'm going to want to drive them loud.

So, all that said, I'm looking for a LOT of power, and I don't see why something similar to the A07 wouldn't be a way to get that w/o breaking the bank. What I really would like is a well built TPA3255 amp that's mono, has the PSU/thermal dissipation to drive the chip to its fullest extent (with reasonably low distortion), so I can max the power to each speaker. And then I'd like to bi-amp these suckers, which the default MG20 crossovers are amenable to.

That said, I'm also open to being told that I'm chasing watts beyond usability, even considering these inefficient speakers and a large room and a very loud home theater environment. Or maybe I can just buy two A08's or something and go ahead and bi-amp. But if I was going to do that, I'd love to go one step further and use two A07/A08's per channel.

Also one more bit of context, I have a Denon X4500H, which is supposedly 190 wpc into 4 ohms, at least when only driving the mains alone. Obviously I can lower the overall load on the AVR by getting discrete power amps, but again I'm open to being told I'm being dumb here and that the A07's won't really buy me much more than what I already have. And I'm not quite sure how to compare Denon's marketing watts to Aiyima's marketing watts. :)

And the last point is that in listening mode, I'm looking for good quality as well, which is why I'm drawn to the A07/A08, as it seems to be that "good enough", well designed amp that is probably going to be just about as good as anything else. I'm buying the idea that amplification is getting pretty close to a solved problem. That said, it's only solved with well designed amps, so I'm not looking to just buy any random high wattage thing off AliExpress without some indication that it's actually a pretty good amp.

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey, I've read all 77 pages of this thread and I'm convinced that the A07, or perhaps the A08 may be a good option for me. I don't need the extra features of the A08, but I like the built in PSU, which if I'm reading right is 36V/10A, so is more powerful than the default A07 external PSU.

However, I do have one question that I wonder if any of you have a suggestion about. I'm trying to drive a pair of Magnepan MG20's in a combo home theater / listening room environment. It's a large room (29 ft by 23 ft, 14 ft ceiling), and the Maggies are hard to drive (though they are 4 ohm speakers), and they're in this home theater environment, I'm going to want to drive them loud.

So, all that said, I'm looking for a LOT of power, and I don't see why something similar to the A07 wouldn't be a way to get that w/o breaking the bank. What I really would like is a well built TPA3255 amp that's mono, has the PSU/thermal dissipation to drive the chip to its fullest extent (with reasonably low distortion), so I can max the power to each speaker. And then I'd like to bi-amp these suckers, which the default MG20 crossovers are amenable to.

That said, I'm also open to being told that I'm chasing watts beyond usability, even considering these inefficient speakers and a large room and a very loud home theater environment. Or maybe I can just buy two A08's or something and go ahead and bi-amp. But if I was going to do that, I'd love to go one step further and use two A07/A08's per channel.

Also one more bit of context, I have a Denon X4500H, which is supposedly 190 wpc into 4 ohms, at least when only driving the mains alone. Obviously I can lower the overall load on the AVR by getting discrete power amps, but again I'm open to being told I'm being dumb here and that the A07's won't really buy me much more than what I already have. And I'm not quite sure how to compare Denon's marketing watts to Aiyima's marketing watts. :)

And the last point is that in listening mode, I'm looking for good quality as well, which is why I'm drawn to the A07/A08, as it seems to be that "good enough", well designed amp that is probably going to be just about as good as anything else. I'm buying the idea that amplification is getting pretty close to a solved problem. That said, it's only solved with well designed amps, so I'm not looking to just buy any random high wattage thing off AliExpress without some indication that it's actually a pretty good amp.

I don't think these are up to low efficiency speakers/large room/loud.

1 - Don't believe the headline 300W / channel that these things are advertised under. They measure at around 50W +/- depending on load impedance and power supply used (see the review results)

2 - They can't run in mono for more power (each channel is already BTL)

3 - have a look at the recently announced SABAJ A20A 2022 version. Can go Mono/BTL up to a specified 350W

Or bite the bullet, and get a hypex MP502 based stereo (or multichannel) amp.

Last edited:

YLLYXZMZ

I don't think these are up to low efficiency speakers/large room/loud.

1 - Don't believe the headline 300W / channel that these things are advertised under. They measure at around 50W +/- depending on load impedance and power supply used (see the review results)

2 - They can't run in mono for more power (each channel is already BTL)

3 - have a look at the recently announced SABAJ A20A 2022 version. Can go Mono/BTL up to a specified 350W

Or bite the bullet, and get a hypex MP502 based stereo (or multichannel) amp.

Thank you!

1. Yep, I'm aware. That's why I was trying to get both a better PSU (A08 seems to come with a ~350W PSU) AND perhaps something that could do mono. Though I've also read that the PSU isn't necessarily the only limiting factor on these.

2. I was afraid of that.

3. Interesting! I'll check that out. I don't see a review on that specific model with measurements. Any reason to believe it won't perform as well as something like the A07? Do you think the SABAJ A20A 2022 actually *would* perform at its stated 350W? Looks like it's got a built in PSU so I wouldn't have to worry about that. It's more $$$ but that's not an issue given it actually pumps out more watts.

The Hypex is also an interesting option, I'll check that out. Once I turn the A20A into mono and then buy several of them, it may not be much cheaper than the Hypex anyway.

Thanks again!

trungdtmc

i replaced inductors with coilcraft oem, some wima and nichicon capacitor. I using muse02 but ordering some opamp to try
3247B1AB-4646-4C65-84AD-6842555A7C00.jpeg

Using 2nd meanwell 36v12a llc
B57EC78F-9C33-4507-A0B3-4477637F7B39.jpeg
all cost about 50$ all that is great with me now

Last edited:

andrewjohn007

Forum Donor
Thank you!

1. Yep, I'm aware. That's why I was trying to get both a better PSU (A08 seems to come with a ~350W PSU) AND perhaps something that could do mono. Though I've also read that the PSU isn't necessarily the only limiting factor on these.

2. I was afraid of that.

3. Interesting! I'll check that out. I don't see a review on that specific model with measurements. Any reason to believe it won't perform as well as something like the A07? Do you think the SABAJ A20A 2022 actually *would* perform at its stated 350W? Looks like it's got a built in PSU so I wouldn't have to worry about that. It's more $$$ but that's not an issue given it actually pumps out more watts.

The Hypex is also an interesting option, I'll check that out. Once I turn the A20A into mono and then buy several of them, it may not be much cheaper than the Hypex anyway.

Thanks again!
I've got three Sabaj A8s running in mono and love them... Highly recommend for the price point.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've got three Sabaj A8s running in mono and love them... Highly recommend for the price point.
Problem with the A8 is it is discontinued, and will be difficult or impossible to obtain.

andrewjohn007

Forum Donor

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

nerone

I have the "Elipson MC1" with the same modules as icepower 125, if anyone wants to buy it I sell it

regan

I'm sure I'm asking a noob question but I got to do what I got to do... Is it possible to add a sub to this amp? I'm willing to power kef r3 and sb1000 pro

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm sure I'm asking a noob question but I got to do what I got to do... Is it possible to add a sub to this amp? I'm willing to power kef r3 and sb1000 pro
Yes, but it doesn't have a sub output. So you'd need to split the source RCA signals to get a signal to the sub, or (better probably) get a sub with high level inputs and then connect it to the speaker terminals. Looks like the SB1000 pro does have the high level inputs.

Top Bottom