• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What’s your favourite Audio YouTuber?

X-Ray

As a pro sound engineer mainly youtubers who are genuine in their approach of music and share interesting/accurate knowledge and mainly anything to do with mixing and mastering and equipment related to that effect. I like Warren Stuart for example or PresentDayProduction, they both have different approaches but complete each other well i find. Sometimes fun and entertaining sometimes serious sometimes both depending on the mood i am. I get easily bored by youtubers who do not bring facts and only subjective opinions with nothing to back it up but I equally get bored by reviewers only spitting data sheets and diagrams without real experience with gears in studio environment which is my domain. I like more a middle ground type of approach and a bit of both factual datas mixed with in depth subjective review by reputable engineers i trust or share the same taste in mixing/mastering and on how gear sounds and compared with other gears in a nicely treated studio that it is for preamps, speakers, audio interfaces etc. I think it might be different taste for hi-fi guys or audiophiles but we are all different and i accept that, I think they are enough youtubers to satisfy everyone needs these day which is totally brilliant.

Last edited:

Katji

Major Contributor
What a wonderful device. I can only imagine what that unit would cost today if brand new.
Yes. ....It takes "they don't make them like they used to" to another level. Ok, the tubes wear out, and the wire insulation, since that time, but things really were made to last, it was expected.
That veneer! ...Actually the thing I remember most about the 1960s radiogram we had was the glossy veneer.
I'm amazed they did that metallic spray coating then.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Mostly Erin and Amir, but I also like to watch Steve G as a guilty pleasure. Seems like a nice guy, if a little whack, which is Ok because I don't take him seriously, and he seems to get first crack at a lot of gear. He's like the Will Rodgers of audio reviewers--never met a component he didn't like, but still engaging--unlike Darko who seems positvely oily, and Zeos who seems like the Dennis Hopper in Apocalypse Now of audio reviewers.

Katji

Major Contributor
I like more a middle ground and a bit of both factual datas mixed with in depth subjective review by reputable engineers i trust or share the same taste in mixing/mastering of how gear sounds and compared with other gears in a nicely treated studio
Yes, pick your subjective/individual opinion exprerts wisely. Experts as in real experience over a long time...which makes it more objective anyway. These hi-fi youtube reviewers are like talking ads, and too long, so it's boring, and every week or so it's the same again. And in pro sound there probably needs to be real rationalisation when the price is much higher than other comparable gear.

X-Ray

Yes, pick your subjective/individual opinion exprerts wisely. Experts as in real experience over a long time...which makes it more objective anyway. These hi-fi youtube reviewers are like talking ads, and too long, so it's boring, and every week or so it's the same again. And in pro sound there probably needs to be real rationalisation when the price is much higher than other comparable gear.
Absolutely spot on for hi-fi reviewers in general. For pro/studio audio gear it tends to be a bit more complicated since some can be plain disguised salesmen while some others really offer good insights sharing the graphs of their room response and other interesting objective datas but at the end offer as well their listening opinions and work/mix examples they have done with different type of speakers for example giving you a kind of personal benchmark. Again i like when it's a mix of both, someone who can bring me solid facts and also solid arguments on to why he liked that kind of sound. Rare to find i agree though.

fuzzychaos

I watch the YouTube audio guys for entertainment, not for education or a lecture. I like this forum, but I don’t like Amir’s videos. I like Erin’s a little more, but they are still dry. The ones I like to watch are

Darko - I think he is entertaining and I like his music recommendations, they are different than I normally listen to.
Cheapaudioman - audio doesn’t need to be high dollar, and he’s funny.
Zeos - fun to watch, just let’s it all out. (I miss Chewbacca)
The British Audiophile - I dig his British accent, and he talks about some interesting brands.
Hans Beekhuyzen - he’s dry, but I still find him fun to watch.
GR Research - just hilarious to watch.
Crinacle - he’s irreverent and entertaining.
Andrew Robinson - fun to watch, and I like Kristy’s perspective.

I don’t care whether I agree with them, or not, it’s all just fun. Personally I would not watch a technical/lecture like video for fun, only for education. I watch physics lectures from MIT and Wondrium to learn, and I watch Neil Degrasse Tyson for fun. I like them both :)

Glint

In terms of the "I'm an audio youtuber!" consoomer types, none. None are worth my time, they are all terrible. I like Mr Carlson's Lab and shango66 as two sides of the same coin though, people who know what they are talking about and can make even crappy portable am radios a learning experience, never mind MCL's total sigma flexing in terms of vintage gear! :D

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s one of the reasons I don’t watch or listen to pod casts. Because it’s the same things over and over again for an hour, that could be compressed into 5-10 minutes. They’re just talking in circles no matter which topic they’re on. It’s really tedious.
Yeah. I know. Sometimes I watch to watch a video on health and nutrition, and all I want is the straight information, what the recommendation is, how to implement it, etc. and instead there's a detailed explanation of the Kreb's cycle thrown out first.

iMickey503

Forum Donor
Joppe Peelen
1656647903718.png

I have no idea how to say his name. So I just call him "Joe Pay pee Lawn"
For Super hard core DIY Speaker stuff, Its my favorite channel. He also must have been a model at some point. Or do all European people look like this? Not sure. Thought he was some asian guy at first. Then swedish. Then Norweiton. Then I found out his Dutch. Flat Panel speakers are his thing. I have watched every video. One of the most talented speaker builders and engineers I have ever seen.
Some people make speakers. He creates them.
By far my Favorite of all of them.

Robot Underground.
1656647667798.png

Not generally for consumption. More of an Industry insider audio channel. Car audio mainly.
Speaker builds from cone to magnet. Talks about speaker drivers and their properties.
I'm still not sure if he really want to go to the moon. Or mars. But he sounds serious.
His been in Home and Car audio for a LONG time. Knows a lot of people in the industry that make the items you buy or distributes them.

Soundman.
1656647458312.png

Custom Car audio fabrication. Its just fun to watch. I have to order my MDF ***** soon.
From His Web Bio:
The Soundman, Inc. was an electronics retail business started by my father in 1975 that evolved into a three store car stereo chain with stores located in the San Fernando Valley and Santa Clarita Valley, California during the 80's and 90's.
During my time as an installer at my father's shop I became known for my in-dash iPad installs and was later recognized as one of Mobile Electronics Magazine's TOP12 installers of the year. I started Soundman Enterprises, Inc. after my father retired in 2013.
Still located in the Santa Clarita Valley, I now run a small private shop where we develop and sell our world famous, PATENTED and injection molded iPad vehicle dash kits.
Soundman iPad kits are the number one choice among the car stereo industry's leading installers.

Doug Bernards - Soundman Enterprises, Inc. - Valencia, California

Tech Ingredients.
1656647319973.png

Not audio focused. But there is LOADS of audio projects he has done. Would love to see his voit tubes tested by Amir one day. Also some of his Flat Panel speakers. In depth knowledge in an easy to digest for factor with lots of side projects.
reminds me of a nuclear scientist from the 50s and 60s.

HexaiBass.
1656647189036.png

Being partly British, Naturally, looking for Germans comes naturally.
"All things audio, maker technology, and whatever else catches my interest"... SEE! His going to take over the world! I KNEW IT!

Williston Audio Labs.
1656647050825.png

The Amp Dyno's, and old skool audio gear. Lots of basic tests for the general audio public.
He's just a teddy bear of Audio!

BBI.
1656646643184.png

Mainly focused on HAM radio, but did the Crown JBL amp rebuild. Including metal work.
Like a Patriotic Carl's Junior commercial of Audio/ Radio Americana.
Deals mainly in Tube and Ham Lingo. I'm still not even sure what the Microphone thing is all about.
Or really what is it with HAM radio. But its interesting to watch some of these big Tube RF amps glow.
a Pioneer in lithium battery use for ham radio operators in a mobile environment.
also he was one of the biggest car audio people and has died down a little bit.

Mr. Carlson Lab.
1656646391345.png

I like seeing the old Tube gear rebuilds, theory on Electronics audio circuits etc. Its very calming.
It's kind of like what you listen to when you want to see art in a form of electronics refurbishing.
Lots of IN DEPTH on things like Capacitors, Tube amp theory etc. Big Clive in a way.
I have serious doubts on his Earth Citizenship. I still believe him to be from Outer space. Way to smart and humble and cool at the same time. Canada's biggest treasure if you ask me.

John Audio Tech
1656646005332.png
1656646047599.png

Simple projects. Simple testing. Easy to understand. Easy to follow. a guy you wish you had as a neighbor.
Show co-Star Snickers past away. But the show still goes on.
John is such a relatable and approachable person.
his passion is building audio circuitry and do it yourself items.
is not an audio file and isn't crazy and is down to earth about his projects.
lots of Kit amplifier reviews from China. And how to improve them and goes over their design.
he is one of my personally favorite YouTubers.

Mr. Beeny.
1656645652504.png

Building amp kits. He's easy to follow. A joy to watch. Down to earth. And tells it like it is.
I like how he orders all these kits from china just to try them out. And put them together.
His just a jolly old fellow from NewZank.
I believe he actually work for an audio company in Great Britain/ The Divided Kingdom.
The amount of detail and extras are well worth it.

PSSound
1656645102470.png

The Best HIGH Fidelity no holds bar , top shelf Car audio channel on Youtube.
From High end parts to stuff that just works. Sound quality or nothing.
There are No compromises. It just has to work. And work as good as an Iphone but deliver and keep taking it like a Porsche on the racetrack.
His installs are some of the Best when it comes to zero compromise audio in a car environment.
He has also built some Home speakers as well.
check out his very own Honda wagon build. Simply amazing.
in my humble opinion, probably one of the best car audio shops in Europe.

Erins Audio Corner.
1656644790765.png

He's a funny dude! Loved it when it brought on his Cousin that looks like Joe Dirt.
Lots of great data on his speakers he has tested. But the driver test are the best.
He goes into testing drivers themselves. Don't really care much about the speaker reviews.
He is the new Zaph Audio.
Many of his videos are Way more tech heavy then entertainment. Lots and LOTS of Data. Also does car Audio. May be the only one out there that talks about it in the depth that he goes too. The only other one is Peter at PSSound in the UK.

G&R Research.
1656644015789.png

He reminds of me Mr. Rogers. I just like the videos. He does talk about some good stuff. Sure not everything is spot on. But his presentation is good. I often fall asleep when watching Danny talk. Soothing calming voice.

Danny is actually a Car guy. Owns a Vette that he races. And is a great person.
Some of his theory and beliefs are cemented in time. And they may have some truth to it.
Think of him as your Loveable great Grandpappy of audio. He provides a service to people just like your Clergy does. Even though they all know what's up? People still want to believe since it just makes them feel better.
Danny offers that. And as of late? Great source for Drama Lama.

Fran tone Labs
1656643802419.png

When there is old stuff like reverb tanks and Audio related stuff, I tune in. She makes pedals. Or services them now. I don't really know much about her past. But a real geek. I think she was a big thing in the Live sound world of making audio pedals and effects. if the cast from the Revenge of the Nerds had a baby, this would be it.
I like her style. More of a fun channel to learn about electronics history. Not really Audio focused. But the talks about how and why they were made that way and focus on American tech is really refreshing.

12VoltVIds.
1656643573426.png

He fixes all sorts of stuff. His videos are practical. And he does teleco for a living. More High testosterone videos format. Kind of like a common sense repair guy of audio gear and other stuff like video as well.
Lots of videos of AVR's being fixed.
There is one other person that is a clone of him and I always get the 2 mixxed up.
I think they are both Canucks. The other dude I think works on Radiation machines. I think he ends with Blessing you in each video. I swear they are brothers... OH found him!

XrayTonyB
1656643232266.png

He does a lot with audio and other stuff. I thought it was John Audio tech for a bit. But him and 12 volt vids seem to do the same videos on audio and gear they fix. I have trouble telling them apart. I got confused at first.
He really does a great job in showing the audio gear he works on. At the end of every video, he Wishes you and your family a happy and joyous LONG life.. IN HELL!!! PRAISE SATAN! Na, Just kidding. Hi's so nice, He might have some Bubble gum made after him in apple flavor. Really just a joy to sit back and watch and see how he goes about bring back audio gear.

Kiss Analogue
1656642885002.png

I watch his stuff just to feel like that I am in the smart people club.
He goes SOOOO in depth, it DOES and can go WAY above your head!!!
Mainly audio circuits and topology and stuff like that. Tubes, solid state and even the new NEW cutting edge stuff. If you can read a circuit diagram? You will feel at home. His like the Amplifier Circuit whisperer.
Some of his videos are WAY out of the scope of most Audio folks.
When I say some people are Wizards of Tube gear? Or Solid state? People that I hold in Awe? Kiss is it.

BareVids
1656642712377.png

I love watching the Amp Repair videos. He even takes questions and explains the basic methods of operation and repair. Self made man. And is more geared to car audio. Based in the U.K.
The live stream amp repair videos are LONG. But it's great seeing the troubleshooting live.
he is the Louis Rossmann of car audio. I really miss his Demo Videos of his Van.

Mazda???
1656642458408.png

He made a bunch of videos back in the day with a custom made subwoofer. He does a lot with power delivery and lithium battery tech. One of the First to do so I think. Car Audio focused. Bank for the Buck Champion!

CheapAudioMan!
1656641998417.png

Nuff said. Fun to watch and hear his opinion. Another Salt of the earth kind of Man. And a great Dad to boot!
His videos are just fun to watch. And I like hearing his opinion on audio gear. Even if its not the best, I think he makes sure everyone get a chance to play in the HiFi Game and make you feel good about owning and using the gear you got and works to help you enjoy your system with a price that won't send your kids to public school to afford your Audio Hobby.

John Heisz - Speakers and Audio Projects
1656641766680.png

Lots of cool speaker projects. Audio focused woodworking is the best I can describe it. he's more of an artist with wood that is able to put speakers in them and showcase them as art,

DIY Audio Guy
1656641256974.png

entertaining fun and educational content concerning audio for both Home and Car. He builds speakers, Kits, and tests audio gear. reminds me of the guy that does my classic cars. Really relatable. Easy to Understand. Drama Lama Free. Tests Whatever, uses it. Shows it and gives people what they want to see.
;

Five Star Car Stereo
1656640928795.png

I like how they go into the menus in the settings of the different electronics and car audio that they set up. If there is some New gear that's out like a New DSP? He goes through all the settings and explains it in a way that even the most Novice of Novice will be able to get up and running. Even master it in time.
Focused on QUALITY sound reproduction in a car for just about anybody.
Based in florida as a duo at a stereo shop.

Mr. Electricity
1656640785258.png

I like how they basically refurbish equipment and fix it for sale. Not all about audio, But it goes to show what you can do with stuff that most of us would throw away. Famous for the Audio Dollhouse speaker build.

Dave rat
1656640609516.png

live sound in production audio experiments with cables audio and microphones. Love where he used the amplifier to power a toaster. Also goes into cables, their length and noise rejection. More of a pro sound channel. But just a dude who is a superstar of Live sound. A great dad to boot!
'

The booth dude Junkie
1656640278082.png

sound recording and professional microphone information and advice on how to get the best recordings.
I like his videos as they showcases the differences in the microphones and kind of situations you would use each one. The voice recording techniques are very helpful. Reviews on microphones and other items you would use for sound recording and playback.

Look mum no computer
1656638939068.png

Musical instruments, vintage Audio gear. and Crazy stuff. I like the vintage nature of the audio gear. He fixes then back from the dead and often sets them up for display and use by others of the public.

TechnoMoan
1656640047016.png

HiFi and I love the puppets. Goes over all sorts of Vintage to modern Home audio gear. Lots of extra fun stuff like lighting. I like the Tape Decks he finds and old record players. I think he got his start reviewing car DVRs.
He's no expert. But is a wizard with Tape machines and belts.

Electronics Help Care.
1656639252248.png

Mainly focused on chip amps, working on low cost and old gear. No words most of the time. He has the Hibbidy boobity Dippity. Board repair and audio electronic circuits.

NorCal715
1656639921051.png

Goes into fixing old speakers, Audio amplifier boards with built in Amps etc. General board repair channel that is focused on audio gear. But a jack of all trades.

Honorable mentions:

Car Audio Fabrication
SMD Designs,
Exocontralto.
EMF Audio.
Showtime Electronics
ANA[DIA]LOG
1656648457894.png

1656648605308.png

There are a few I have missed. But I think that's the big audio related channels I watch.

Attachments

• 1656645951114.png
    1656645951114.png
    32.2 KB · Views: 28

movehome

I liked cheap audio man until I found this site. Realistically he probably is one of the best resources for most people though since he recommends a lot of the same products that receive favourable reviews by Amir as well.

Newman

Major Contributor
I watch the YouTube audio guys for entertainment, not for education or a lecture.
Sorry, I just cannot do it for entertainment if the words coming out of their mouths are Twaddle. Which is almost bound to happen from the entertainer cohort.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I find no entertainment in infomercials from hipsters that listen to pop on expensive gear, explaining why I should love music I despise. Darko is particularly despicable in that department and Robinson following close. Gutemberg is like a theologian talking about quantum physics, which is un some ways, potentially worse.

I'd rather listen to Amir, Erin, Larsson or any other guy that can explain the real world on not on salesman or priest terms.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
@Vacceo
"....Gutemberg is like a theologian talking about quantum physics...."

Haha thats great! And so true!

OP
A

Arianator26

I find no entertainment in infomercials from hipsters that listen to pop on expensive gear, explaining why I should love music I despise. Darko is particularly despicable in that department and Robinson following close. Gutemberg is like a theologian talking about quantum physics, which is un some ways, potentially worse.

I'd rather listen to Amir, Erin, Larsson or any other guy that can explain the real world on not on salesman or priest terms.
You gotta admit Darko has a very specific taste in music. Most is not my cup of tea but it’s certainly not something that everyone would listen to on a daily basis. I follow his playlists on Patreon and here I there I discover gems that I actually like.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
The fun thing is what is realy going on with this golden eared reviewers.

Take the Klipsch RP600m. Watch the reviews. This thing has a dip huge as the grand cannyon in the mid FR such a importend place. So huge that GR Research fixed it. People that can hear so fine differences in amps, think that speaker is great??? Speaker of the year??? Come on, this opinions are as usefull as a pimpel on the ass. And its time to tell this open.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
You gotta admit Darko has a very specific taste in music. Most is not my cup of tea but it’s certainly not something that everyone would listen to on a daily basis. I follow his playlists on Patreon and here I there I discover gems that I actually like.
I also have a very specific taste and I'm sure you too. And?

Top Bottom