• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Diatone p610 DIY build

ToriCatcher

Hey everyone,

I'm in the early stages of planning a pair of speakers, based on the chinese knock off of the Diatone (Mitsubishi) full range driver P610.

These have some pretty crazy cabinet designs. As I'm rather new to DIYing speakers, I'm leaning towards the more conventional bookshelf designs as in the attachments.

I would really love to hear from anyone with experience working with these drivers. Especially anything in the direction of measurements, plans and impressions (but anything else too, really).
Another problem I'm having is in obtaining 100% reliable data.

Two specific choices are needed to be made about the drivers: magnet - ferrite or alnico, all suppliers of the driver claimed the measurements are almost the same.
Resistance - both drivers are available in 4 or 8 ohms resistance, I was not able to attain a chart, and the suppliers claimed the charts are similar, just different magnitude... Arising my suspicion regarding the reliability of the measurements.

The next questions are regarding the cabinet. The simple bookshelf design attached has no bracing or documentation of acoustic insulation.
The final thing (I currently think) is that if using a passive filter of some sort is in place. All I know is that some people use one to reduce brightness a little. I'm currently leaning towards not using a filter, adding one later if one is needed.

I would love to hear anyone's input!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-06-28-13-49-52-281_com.alibaba.aliexpresshd.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-06-28-13-49-52-281_com.alibaba.aliexpresshd.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 425
  • Screenshot_2022-06-27-12-04-43-282_com.alibaba.aliexpresshd.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-06-27-12-04-43-282_com.alibaba.aliexpresshd.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 375
  • IMG_20220630_111233.jpg
    IMG_20220630_111233.jpg
    476.8 KB · Views: 391

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If it's all the same, I'd go with the ferrite magnet version. Looks like it's quite a bit cheaper. Also, note that the TSP I found for the ferrite version is quite a bit different. Especially the VAS is much lower than what your image shows. So simulate both! Your version would be tricky in a bookshelf. It will do much better in a larger enclosure.

I would probably recommend the filter as well, but if you are able to do EQ otherwise, you can skip that.

OP
ToriCatcher

ToriCatcher

If it's all the same, I'd go with the ferrite magnet version. Looks like it's quite a bit cheaper. Also, note that the TSP I found for the ferrite version is quite a bit different. Especially the VAS is much lower than what your image shows. So simulate both! Your version would be tricky in a bookshelf. It will do much better in a larger enclosure.

I would probably recommend the filter as well, but if you are able to do EQ otherwise, you can skip that.
First of all, thank you for your response!

Unfortunately there's conflicting data, supposedly the measurements I'm posting now had the square-ish, ferrite version in the bookshelf of the size I'm posting now.

What makes you say it will struggle in a bookshelf?

Attachments

• IMG_20220630_122152.jpg
    IMG_20220630_122152.jpg
    381.2 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_20220630_122208.jpg
    IMG_20220630_122208.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 242

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Unfortunately there's conflicting data, supposedly the measurements I'm posting now had the square-ish, ferrite version in the bookshelf of the size I'm posting now.
The square metal contraption is the alnico version I would guess. The measurements are probably just on a standardized baffle, not in the actual enclosure. Also the date on those measurements would worry me:
1656582368842.png

It's more than 20 years old..
What makes you say it will struggle in a bookshelf?
If the TSP you posted are correct, then it won't go very deep and have a bump at around 110 Hz:
1656582281965.png

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If you want to experiment with a wideband speaker, why not go for something more modern, for instance from Markaudio?

OP
ToriCatcher

ToriCatcher

The square metal contraption is the alnico version I would guess. The measurements are probably just on a standardized baffle,
Actually they have all the combinations (square in ferrite or alnico and so on).
The seller specifically claimed the last measurements I posted were generated in the bookshelf cabinet I posted the measurements of. I agree it is dubious, especially considering the date ( I didn't notice that, thank you).
If the TSP you posted are correct, then it won't go very deep and have a bump at around 110 Hz:
View attachment 215678
That is far from pretty. Would you mind sharing what you used to generate that?

OP
ToriCatcher

ToriCatcher

If you want to experiment with a wideband speaker, why not go for something more modern, for instance from Markaudio?
I'm not familiar and will check it out. Thanks!
Having said that, I am curious about these Diatone clones in particular, and they have a superb price (45 usd for a ferrite unit), but I am open to change.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Actually they have all the combinations (square in ferrite or alnico and so on).
The seller specifically claimed the last measurements I posted were generated in the bookshelf cabinet I posted the measurements of. I agree it is dubious, especially considering the date ( I didn't notice that, thank you).
I would definitely not trust that.
That is far from pretty. Would you mind sharing what you used to generate that?
I used WinISD to simulate the bass response. It's free, try it!

OP
ToriCatcher

ToriCatcher

These indeed look (physically) very nice, and they even suggest many interestingly looking cabinets. Unfortunately, their frequency responses are really not linear. They even use steps of 4 db in their diagrams! I never saw that (and they are not exactly cheap, although they need only 1 driver for a speaker, being full range).

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
These indeed look (physically) very nice, and they even suggest many interestingly looking cabinets. Unfortunately, their frequency responses are really not linear. They even use steps of 4 db in their diagrams!
Well, they are widebanders, they aren’t exactly linear in general.. mileage may vary depending on model.

At least it’s not a 20+ year old datasheet that definitely should not be trusted ;)

What impressed me is you using the images to simulate it.
Well, the parameters are written down in there, so easy job.

You could take the plunge and just buy them, measure them and then decide what kind of enclosure they would need…

gab

Having said that, I am curious about these Diatone clones in particular, and they have a superb price (45 usd for a ferrite unit), but I am open to change.

Tori - Where are you proposing to procure these clones from? David Louis Ebay store? Link?

OP
ToriCatcher

ToriCatcher

AliExpress stores. Search for p610 Diatone. Let me know if it doesn't work out.

How do you think to implement them, if you don't mind me asking?

- Michael (torus, or tori in plural, is some inside joke)
:)

gab

How do you think to implement them, if you don't mind me asking?

- Michael (torus, or tori in plural, is some inside joke)
:)
Michael - I built these cabinets a long time ago for a pair of 610MBs I bought from EIFL in Japan. I still have the empty cabinets in my garage.

Attachments

• Enclosure.jpeg
    Enclosure.jpeg
    283.1 KB · Views: 253
OP
ToriCatcher

ToriCatcher

Michael - I built these cabinets a long time ago for a pair of 610MBs I bought from EIFL in Japan. I still have the empty cabinets in my garage.
Wow. Do the drivers no longer work? What did you think about them?

enio nery

ive had the original ones i think 2 years ago. for nearfield use you can eq them and they can sound very good. ive had the clones too. my subjective take on both is that hf drops significantly off axis. the clones have better bass the higher mids and treble is a bit gritty. the orignal ones sounds smoother but lacks bass. i have the original plans made by Diatone for NHK( a Japanese network) i can email them to you if you wish.

43262177_10217388603487309_5544547116912738304_n.jpg

MattyW

Installing 4 of the copies on my Mitsubishi Pajero Sport tomorrow. It should be a nice improvement from the stock drivers. I used a pair in a small bedroom setup for a time and found they've a lovely lifelike midrange and with a little EQ boosting treble they sound really very nice with incredibly lifelike voices even using an SMSL AD18 so basically coloured, but in a very pleasant way. I think perfect for car audio with a ****** stock head unit ;)

Top Bottom