• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GR Research Klipsch RP-600M Upgrade Review (speaker)

Rate this speaker mod:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 10 5.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 40 20.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 118 61.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 23 12.0%

• Total voters

kokakolia

I despise this line of thinking - why would it be less important by genre? It mostly just sounds like "oh, that isn't real music, you don't need good speakers for that".
I'll explain. The RP600M sounds LEAN. It sucks the life out of acoustic guitar for example. Bass guitar also sounds way recessed.

I'm describing from memory why I didn't like using the RP600M for 2 years straight. Heck I was bummed when I listened to my dad's Q Acoustics 2020 speakers. I thought that they ran circles around the Klipsch RP600M.

I probably have the worst taste in music from folk punk, to sad girl garage rock to millenial dad rock, to vaporwave etc... And I listened to nothing but Animal Collective during my college years.

dfuller

Major Contributor
I suspect you are intimidated by those who prefer acoustically produced music.
Uh, no, I just find it to be elitist and stupid.
I'll explain. The RP600M sounds LEAN. It sucks the life out of acoustic guitar for example. Bass guitar also sounds way recessed.

I'm describing from memory why I didn't like using the RP600M for 2 years straight. Heck I was bummed when I listened to my dad's Q Acoustics 2020 speakers. I thought that they ran circles around the Klipsch RP600M.

I probably have the worst taste in music from folk punk, to sad girl garage rock to millenial dad rock, to vaporwave etc... And I listened to nothing but Animal Collective during my college years.
Sure, that makes sense - but that makes it a bad speaker in general, not just for music with "real" instruments.

kokakolia

Sure, that makes sense - but that makes it a bad speaker in general, not just for music with "real" instruments.
I swear that with the Klipsch RP600M half of my music sounded great and the other half meh. I could listen to hip hop, jazz, rock with female vocals all day long with the Klipsch. But I felt pretty bored with the folksy americana country dad rock music. I couldn't hear Mark Kozelek's grumpy ramblings over his sweet guitar tunes. Animal Collective's Feels didn't give me the feels.
Oh my... hippies here!!!
:D
I'll see them live in Paris on November 24th LMAO.

JohnBooty

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
it's good to see not all is lost with Danny and GR. I'd imagine he is pretty confused right now though with ASR... :p
I would have paid a few dollars to see his face when somebody told him he got a nice review on ASR.

If anybody here owns a time machine and you've already seen all the interesting events in history, would you mind going back a few hours and getting some pics of this moment?

dfuller

Major Contributor
I would have paid a few dollars to see his face when somebody told him he got a nice review on ASR.

If anybody here owns a time machine and you've already seen all the interesting events in history, would you mind going back a few hours and getting some pics of this moment?
He's gotten two, actually - the X-LS Encores did pretty well.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I don't think so, but that depends on music. May be Ok for "Romantic Women Voices vol.999", but what to do with Carcass or Behemoth?:)
Even Rammstein soy-metal has some aggressive guitars and such saw will nicely colorate it instead of softly pulling back like typical V-shaped FR speakers/cans.
Both sorts of degradation are bad for sure.
Blasphemy or Conqueror on Klipsch will solve all high frequency problems. Because those bands don't use high frequencies. :D

Finally someone over here that tests speakers like me, with some sonic monstrosities! :D

vert

Forum Donor
Erin just tested a new version of those speakers (IIRC) and said they much improved.

Gringoaudio1

Forum Donor
The next question is: could a much cheaper crossover kit (parts price wise) with no tubies and some cheaper filler in the cabinet do the same?

How much $$$ padding is GR-research doing here?
His cost for the parts is probably pretty low. But the kit cost is paying for his R&D time.

Keith Conroy

I don't have access to the kit. The owner did the mod and I don't want to disassemble the speaker just to take a picture. Company has a video on the mod.
Got it ............GR might have had pictures available??...........Just saying for future consideration if you do another speaker upgrade review.....??? This because the kit is really the product your testing??

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Got it ............GR might have had pictures available??...........Just saying for future consideration if you do another speaker upgrade review.....??? This because the kit is really the product your testing??
I looked prior to review and he has a bunch of pictures but none show the kit itself.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Sad to see a 3rd party trump the manufacturer, but nice to see there are more competent people out there.
I think the designer was told to produce the product as is.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The unanswered question is how much aggressive veil-lifting occurs when unplugging from the old binding posts and plugging into the new ones.
I was too scared to try. Some veils should not be removed....

beagleman

Major Contributor
I would love to see the component values in the new crossover.

2 caps, 2 coils and 2 resistors, I would imagine.

Think I could beat the $244.00 price with some well thought out price saving components. Dayton audio anyone?

Attachments

• 2854716-9f2e6762-klipsch-rp-600m-gr-research-upgraded.jpg
    2854716-9f2e6762-klipsch-rp-600m-gr-research-upgraded.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
A cap, a coil and 2 resistors, I would imagine.
No, there must be more. From the close to driver responses you can clearly see that the woofer resonance is suppressed quite a bit more than the original. That is also really needed with a 1st order crossover.

beagleman

Major Contributor
No, there must be more. From the close to driver responses you can clearly see that the woofer resonance is suppressed quite a bit more than the original. That is also really needed with a 1st order crossover.
Yeah just found a pic of it.....Changed my post.....my bad...lol

Jim Shaw

Forum Donor
Uh, no, I just find it to be elitist and stupid.
<chuckle> Half the problem is that you said this. The unfixable half is that you live and believe it. [full stop]

Top Bottom