• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Testing Open Power Cord interference in Interconnect Cables (video)

nyxnyxnyx

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks for the quick vid. This format is more attractive to people who don't want to dive to deep (or dislike reading in general) and could definitely help some folks save their money in the future :)

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
Love these “Schooling” Videos. We learn so much and disprove all the myth’s and magic sauces that are used by Sales and Marketing people to sell us crap we don’t need and does nothing except extract money from us. Keep them coming! :cool:

fieldcar

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This reminds me of how home wiring can have a phantom voltage when the switch at the wall is off and you've unwired the line from the device. There is often up to 120VAC, but if you short it to ground, you quickly find that there was never any current behind it, and it was simply created by induction of a parallel run from a nearby live wire. This is why some electrician meters have a Lo-Z mode.

Thanks for the quick vid. This format is more attractive to people who don't want to dive to deep (or dislike reading in general) and could definitely help some folks save their money in the future :)
I'm going to be contrarian guy and say I'd rather read it. I love reading, and for me reading is way, way faster than the time a video of the same content requires.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Didn't watch the video (can't at work), but who made the claim a power cord could not be an interference source unless it was driving something? Plug it in, and there is a voltage field created, even if the current is practically zero, and you have a 60 Hz (or whatever) high-voltage source plus whatever noise is on the line.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Didn't watch the video (can't at work), but who made the claim a power cord could not be an interference source unless it was driving something? Plug it in, and there is a voltage field created, even if the current is practically zero, and you have a 60 Hz (or whatever) high-voltage source plus whatever noise is on the line.
The guy from GR Research. Beef!

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
The guy from GR Research. Beef!
Ah, 'nuff said. Doubters could just take an extension cord, plug it in (to the wall, no load), and wrap it around an AM radio to see what happens.

azzy_mazzy

i agree, for me its the better format.

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
A quick video dealing with claims that a power cord that is not driving something can't be source of AC interference:

^^^This is Professor Bit-perfect Amir, preparing to Cast a Stupify spell with a Power Wand!^^^

Please don’t try this at home. o_O

Someone please turn this into a gif!

ayane

Forum Donor
Parasitic capacitance! This also explains why "zero crosstalk" is a myth in HiFi, and part of why we see a rising trend curve on crosstalk vs frequency graphs (because capacitive reactance is inversely proportional to frequency). Fun!

Top Bottom