• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hello again.

SDC

Hi, I've posted a photo of the living room here.

Recently I finished my in-room system and thought I post some stuff before I erase everything.

First, the picture of the room. It is messy but I tried my best :facepalm:

IMG_20191224_012259.jpg

(I tried to cover the mess but it looks worse :eek:)

jbl 2384,2452h with bex4008, audyn 47uF capacitor, and mundorf 27ohm resistor.

TD18h+ in 90 something liter sealed box. (The port on top is nothing, I just keep it there to save space.)

B-52 waveguide with peerless 2544r00, and mills 30ohm.

JBL L112 as woofer box. I pulled the woofer line out through the port.

Two basstrap. Ten 1*2m 24K50T polywool tied together using packaging tape. Cause it's easier than handling wood.

0.45*1m 48k50T polywool. 6 in front, one on top and sides. Two at back. And between wall and speaker.

Room

rooom.jpg

And more about the system

IMG_20191018_200334.jpg

Marantz mm8077 and Behringer 1820. Cables are Canare and Neutrik.

There is an audible hiss from the amp. So I use serial resistors for the 8 ohm CD. Even with resistors hiss is still there. Cheap icepower from aliexpress did better than this:(

The bex4008

950$ each from SpEx. Price wasn't like this when I first planned this speaker:eek:

IMG_20191218_193426.jpg

(The pictures are blurred cause you can see me from the original pictures... my mistake)

The rims are thinner than the original Ti diaphragm. So when you close the back chamber. It goes like this.

IMG_20191216_181544.jpg

There is a tiny gap there.

The O-ring mentioned in the AVSF is for this I guess.

I have no such thing. So an easier way is to flip it.

IMG_20191218_094058.jpg

Yeah, I can live with this.

Finally, the measurements.

2452h, bex4008, .5 inch spacer, 2384 horn. Umik about 60cm far. No dsp, 47uF cap, and 27ohm serial resistor. I pressed estimate IR in rew.

Not gated.

For durability, I painted the MDF spacer with duratex than sanded it for a smooth connection to 2384. So the throat may be a tiny bit smaller than 1.5inch.

be far.jpg

So much better than the ribbed Ti.

The minimum crossover given by BW is 1000hz 12dB/oct. But it can dig dipper (and it should, it is 4 inch!)

Corrected with crossover for tweeter and woofer using rephase.

be corrected.jpg

td18 corrected.jpg

Woofer measured and corrected from listening position. Polywools do nothing for that disastrous dip :(

It is 96dB LR in the graph. But I changed it to brickwall cause I don't know how I can measure and correct phase for smooth overlap.

Sound is OK. Tight and energetic with some music, but hurts my ears with some music. I think it could be better but I don't know what more to do, so this is the end.

It was fun building the system. It is the system I dreamed, big woofer, big beryllium, big horn, and big amp :D

Thanks for reading.

Attachments

• room.jpg
    room.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_20191223_204448.jpg
    IMG_20191223_204448.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 168
Last edited:
OP
SDC

SDC

Update.

First I rolled those giant chunks into woven PP bags hoping for more mid-high reflection.
Which didn't go well, improved from 10k to 20k but 1k-4k stayed the same so it was a waste of time.

IMG_20191231_233954.jpg

Then I bought AudiolenseXO for simple upgrade of the system, which isn't actually that simple, at least to me.

problems I faced
5 sec and 10 sec measurement give different delay results
-I chose 5 sec, I think it gives better results.
L and R levels are different
-fixed with Jriver eq using ear
LCR delay results are funny. Don't know why.
-fixed with Jriver eq using rew impulse
Jriver doesn't work with main cfg file?
-I checked Jriver output fixed to 96kHz and then used the 2.0_96.cfg file. Then it works.

600hz 2.0 oct XO. L, R before fixing with jriver. Thinking of changing it to 550hz 1.5 oct, td18h is bit too big for 600hz I think.

l,r AL.jpg

l+r AL.jpg

And 3ch matrix is great! With AL's channel routing matrix, I finally tried it.

edit: I didn't turn off the -0.17 matrix in the measurment. Things don't change much with it turned on or off. The delay and dips are still there.

edit2: simple 2ch with no linear matrix have no level difference problem. But delay difference is still there.

edit3: AL6 has problem generating delay (with umik). I chanaged delay between drivers using rew and jriver, fr is flat and impluse is nice, sounds good.

10sec measurment, 75-84dBSPL, 11dB max boost, delay by jriver, no smoothing, 8cycle fdw.
1578303156.jpg

1578303156 (1).jpg

edit4: They say AL6.1 has the umik problem fixed.
Bernt checked my 3ch upmix file, no problem in AL. So something wrong in my Jriver configuration.

Last edited:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
horn, dome, and coaxial at once... loving it
Wow, last time I had a JBL here, I thought about pairing them with the Revels as you have! It would be neat to switch between them per mood, music, etc.

OP
SDC

SDC

Wow, last time I had a JBL here, I thought about pairing them with the Revels as you have! It would be neat to switch between them per mood, music, etc.
I have minidsp 2x4hd connected so configuration change is just a click! great speakers.

Loving them since the first sweep tone.

OP
SDC

SDC

5F5CF515-52E6-43EE-AEFE-DD470512E7D8.jpegFDD9CFD0-9CFC-433B-AAF1-E435B633CF0E.jpeg

Ouch.

edit: High Frs are quite bit different my eyes are blured by excitement right now haha...

Mic is Umik1 calibrated using M30 by @Nuyes.
It differs +- 1dB from original calibration.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@SDC I don't really understand the thread. You have obviously experimented with absorbers etc.. But what happened then, are they now gone from the room or is that a different room?

Thank you for the measurements! If I see this correctly, it seems to show very nicely how deficient even such excellent speakers are when placed in a room.
Hence my question about the room treatment.

Is that in each case at the listening position? Or have I got it all wrong?

OP
SDC

SDC

@SDC I don't really understand the thread. You have obviously experimented with absorbers etc.. But what happened then, are they now gone from the room or is that a different room?

Thank you for the measurements! If I see this correctly, it seems to show very nicely how deficient even such excellent speakers are when placed in a room.
Hence my question about the room treatment.

Is that in each case at the listening position? Or have I got it all wrong?

Man cave and living room so two different spaces!

My room is filled with DIY absorber, diffuser, subwoofer, small horn, big horn, everything not welcomed.

Those not in my room are because I want MORE speakers but cave is full :(

I'm spreading good looking ones around the house so I can keep them, 4367 salon2 ls60 r3 all out in the wild with weeds growing in their graphs...

But my family still enjoys them and I can keep it, kind of win-win.

OP
SDC

SDC

A2C3713E-F300-4E75-846F-2A4979F72875.jpeg

New speaker for my room! Welcome 8351b.

Review: AMAZING sound.

I'm pleasantly surprised...

I currently have Revel Salon 2 right behind me. (Two 2ch system back and forth the room.)

Far field Salon 2 reproduces fascinating stereo magic.

But 8351b in near field is just pure magic...

There is large dip so more woofer&subwoofer crossover is needed, can't imagine how far this system will go...

Last edited:
OP
SDC

SDC

IMG_0562 - 복사본.jpg

Finished setup. Been a while but writing this before starting MEH build, little break shall I say...

But before I start, it is desk setup and reflection is wild, like all caps WILD.

8351breflection - 복사본.jpg

This mess up the high frequency so I concentrated under 300hz. above should be fixed with changing desk or something... one day but not today.

start8351bfr - 복사본.jpg

8351bGD - 복사본.jpg

Mains with GLM this is where I started. And saying GLM, it is super easy and great. Reduced my work a lot.

lrwoofer - 복사본.jpg

To fix the dips in the lows I decided to use stereo woofers.

The wooden stands under Genelecs are actually 12" JBL speaker, so I bypassed passive crossover low passed at 115hz with DSP.

3.5way - 복사본.jpg

Dial in the delay till it look nice and I got this. (LSQ 80hz -6dB 0.707 applied in graph)

You can still see all the dips there but the intensity is greatly reduced. And the improvement is mostly seen elsewhere.

3.5wayGD - 복사본.jpg

Group delay. It is still wild but excess GD is stable, ready for subwoofer.

subwoofers - 복사본.jpg

This is the quad subwoofer setup I'm using.

And yes I'm treating Salon 2 as subwoofer. In my small room it pumps bass without distortion to extreme level.

I sold my PB2000 after seeing Salon 2 in action.

finished - 복사본.jpg

Playing with delay a bit more and done!

Easier said than done but finished anyway...

And that dip after 400. I'll handle that later.

asdfasdf - 복사본.jpg

group delay is nice IMO. better than using HP filters as it increase GD about 20ms.

With all messy dips and peaks I need steep filter and FIR is not an option with all the delay it causes.

qwerqwer - 복사본.jpg

And room curves where applied after for bit more 'fun'.

So, playing with 8351b is done! For now.

Pointing out problems are always welcomed!

OP
SDC

SDC

600EA07C-270E-467C-9994-11773D3B3C88.jpeg

C0E46448-14EF-4CFC-8FBA-AAB2712C02DC.jpeg

0ED9C6C6-1ED4-4291-A010-29E2673E28FC.jpeg

removed all my DIY room treatment. For professional consulting.

I know it shall pass but sound is pure shit and I'm so upset with what I'm hearing right now.

This is torture to both me and speaker...

And I must say if your room is small like me (3*6) you must treat it. Like really, just push glasswool into vinyl bags like i did before. it works

Last edited:
OP
SDC

SDC

20230418_081522.jpg

Changed center to C426be! (From rc263)

Amp and audio interface is removed and denon 4800h with dirac is now powering the system too.

Wish revel had smaller model for people like me

But still they are awesome, except covering the bottom of my TV...

Gotta learn to live with it...

They come with ports stuffed with sponge i'm not gonna remove them. Subs are there for 80s so all is good.

Sound? Good but not night and day different good. Rc263 was a fine center (426 has much better distortion of course)

Also tried R6meta but got a bad unit so no comparison...

20230417_163950.jpg

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Could be worse!

Very nice.

Reactions: SDC
OP
SDC

SDC

20230728_160348.jpg
very special system for head-fi!

SSL FUSION is directly connected to A90 headphone amp.

Adding distortion, high shelving, mid side tuning, and simulated trans!

Sundara is connected audio interface directly so no tuning.
He6se I use simulation and low shelf for more sparkle and punch.
Stealth I add distortion more highs and tune side staging to taste
Expanse, HRIR by PC, less highs and simulation.

I'm very satisfied with what Fusion is capable of doing. And it is better than what a million valve can do!

Most interesting part is as I tune using fusion, I can 'feel' similar tunes applied to commercial products...

So there is bunch of products that fiddle with sound without any measurements out there. And thats what matching is all about...

OP
SDC

SDC

Changed dsp setting of my subwoofer using the plate amp setting of arendal subs.

After applying Dirac, I inverted the rear two subs, and added delay.

Results are amazing

Before. 4 subs with just dirac
1694688682.png

There is imbalance in 40-50hz.
In one point measurement this does not show up.

After. Inverted phase of 2 subs after dirac
1694769672625.png

The 40hz imbalance is almost gone and only small difference remains.

Now to REW.

1694865828.png

Fast decay acheived with cancelation between subwoofers.

rt - 복사본.png

Short and smooth rt60 values.

I was waiting for Dirac ART, but after this, I think it is not needed.

I recommend playing with subwoofer DSP after flattening with Dirac.
As Dirac in avr like x4800h doesn't support dlbc or art yet. And when it will is not clear.

Top Bottom