• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF LS50 Meta Review (Speaker)

Sudecki

Hi everyone, i have read a lot of your post. Iwant buy a pair of Ls 50 meta. But for amp’ i dont know to choice a model. For 20 m2

What is the best choice between these model :
evo 75
Nad c700
Or cxa81 ( i have tested it, i like it, but your thread go me out of my choice, and it was a little to big)

Nad m10v2 or evo 150 was in consideration but too expensive. We can found a pack evo 75 + meto for less 3000 $ but i am afraid about power.

Thanks

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi everyone, i have read a lot of your post. Iwant buy a pair of Ls 50 meta. But for amp’ i dont know to choice a model. For 20 m2

What is the best choice between these model :
evo 75
Nad c700
Or cxa81 ( i have tested it, i like it, but your thread go me out of my choice, and it was a little to big)

Nad m10v2 or evo 150 was in consideration but too expensive. We can found a pack evo 75 + meto for less 3000 $ but i am afraid about power.

Thanks
Consider this one

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Oups I have forgotten to say I am in Europe (France) but it looks very, thanks
If you want a high performance, flexible combo, allow me to recommend: Wiim Mini streamer + MiniDSP Flex (dsp/dac) + Boxem Audio NC252MP based amp with auto on and clipping indicator. Swap the Boxem for a Audiophonics NC252MP amp for a cheaper alternative.

This combo would be cheaper than the Evo 75 but same amp module as the 150 uses. The Flex would allow you to implement digital room correction and also integrate a sub or two in the future.

Sudecki

In France you have Audiophonics. But probably not network with HDMI. Maybe add a MiniDSP?
@Eetu solution are great minidsp Flex (with Bluetooth) + Boxem Audio ( 980 + 924 = 1900 € with cable)

Only the network player, will be miss. I don't know the quality of digital output of TV (optical or toslink)

If not, I have to answer, someone propose me m10v2 at 2600 € (demo product) , all inside one product with all I need.
It was finally not far for price... Hard choice

Last edited:

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Flex does not do network audio on its own, so keep that in mind. If you need a complete solution that does not rely on another source (I don't know your sources), then:

MiniDSP SHD Power

or

MiniDSP SHD Studio + Audiophonics NC252MP

If you will use other sources like a computer, CD player, record player, etc, then the Flex + Audiophonics amp is enough.

Sudecki

The Flex does not do network audio on its own, so keep that in mind. If you need a complete solution that does not rely on another source (I don't know your sources), then:

MiniDSP SHD Power

or

MiniDSP SHD Studio + Audiophonics NC252MP

If you will use other sources like a computer, CD player, record player, etc, then the Flex + Audiophonics amp is enough.
My source are
50 % tv via hdmi ou digital audio output (optical or tsolink),
50 % Spotify or Tidal, without my computer because it is too far.

Amplifer of boxen appear great

I thought : mini dsp flex + boxen + blusound mode player ( 2600 euro with mic for calibration without the license diract live)
Or 2100 euro if I replace blusound by wiin mimi... But I lost hdmi eArc

So price are expensive with all
(for remember are all included with m10v2)

Thanks so much for your help, I need to think a lot.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oups I have forgotten to say I am in Europe (France) but it looks very, thanks
I discover apollon...
But don't correspond at my mind, a network player with hdmi if possible
Appolon is the go to in Europe much as VTV or Buckeye is in the US.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My source are

I thought : mini dsp flex + boxen + blusound mode player ( 2600 euro with mic for calibration without the license diract live)

I know I've mentioned it a couple of times but you'd be silly not to go for the Hypex NCore from Audiophonics in your home country and save a ton of money. I don't think I've seen a better built "cheap" NCore. It is the same amplifier as the BoXem ARTHUR 3409/N2 but for 50% less. It's up to you. ;)

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
My source are

Also you can save € on the Flex by ordering directly from the MiniDSP site, the price on the Audiophonics site is very high. See the relevant MiniDSP Flex threads here for more on that.

fuzzychaos

Saturday I went to a local KEF dealer to hear the LS50 Meta. On paper and measurements, I should like them, but, I hated them. They were tinny and lacked any body whatsoever. The treble was harsh to me. My wife said they were the worst speakers we ever auditioned, and I agree. The store had them running on Anthem gear (preamp and amp), and the room was decently acoustically treated.

I heard the R3 and was not impressed as well. I did hear the LS60, in a different room, and they were quite impressive, but I wasn’t thinking of spending that much for speakers and I would worry about the eventual obsolescence.

So now I continue my journey trying to find a bookshelf that I like.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Saturday I went to a local KEF dealer to hear the LS50 Meta. On paper and measurements, I should like them, but, I hated them. They were tinny and lacked any body whatsoever. The treble was harsh to me. My wife said they were the worst speakers we ever auditioned, and I agree. The store had them running on Anthem gear (preamp and amp), and the room was decently acoustically treated.

I heard the R3 and was not impressed as well. I did hear the LS60, in a different room, and they were quite impressive, but I wasn’t thinking of spending that much for speakers and I would worry about the eventual obsolescence.

Try the S400 MKI or II depending on your preferences. That's the direction you are going by moving away from the KEFs.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I already have the Buchardt A500. I am sending it back, it lacks something as well.
Ok. So the KEFs lack body, which the Buchardts have. But they are lacking something for you...can you pinpoint what it is?

And what is your listening distance / room arrangement? This isn't at a desk or something, is it?

fuzzychaos

Ok. So the KEFs lack body, which the Buchardts have. But they are lacking something for you...can you pinpoint what it is?

And what is your listening distance / room arrangement? This isn't at a desk or something, is it?
It lacks a little upper end sparkle and the mids can sometimes get a tad muddy.

My distance is 12 ft and the speakers are about 10ft and some change apart.

Reactions: Zvu

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree they don't have a lot of treble sparkle as they are a mostly neutral speaker, though they do have a small bump from 6-9 kHz.

Maybe try the Focal Aria or higher - they have the body (though less) and a little more sparkle that you're looking for.

Another option, if you have it, is to use Dynamic EQ. It will add the top end you're missing. Works very well for me.

Streamc

It is called floorstander.

CBdicX

Hello, I am new to this forum (but an "old" AVS member ;)) and want to ask if it is possible to use 2x LS50M side by side as a Center speaker ?
The problem in the BENELUX is that Kef will not sell 1 LS50M as a Center like in the US :-(
So my only option wil be to use 2.
I have the space to use 2 side by side and would like the way it looks when I have them both on the side also, with the nice curve :)

Or is it better to wait until Kef gets a R2C Meta, a "real" Center ?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom