• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GR Research LGK 2.0 Kit Speaker Review (video)

Andysu

Major Contributor
That's of a piece with his calling measurement-oriented folks "flat earthers." He knows that well informed customers will never buy from him, so why not baselessly insult them to the cheers of his adoring cult, er, I mean crowd?
i was going to ad rather long comment to your reply . rather too long and some good points but decided not to post . i'll save the post but not going to share it , sorry .

eriksson

Forum Donor
In my first physics class the teacher, after lengthy explanation about variation in atmospheric pressure vs height, posed a question to the classroom. How do we measure the height of a building with a barometer? I suggested one would go to the top of the building and toss the barometer off the edge and measure the time it would take to fall to the ground. Along similar line: To be fair I think few Giants would survive being hit in the head with the this box judging by all the MDF its made of.

Ps, hearing the distortion in the video was easy, it's really bad, and this speaker is just nonsense.

Thanks for the review Amir.

JSmith

Master Contributor
I think he is crapping his pants atm. I read some comments at his website and they where very negative regarding the puny LGK speakers.
Probably has a fair bit of stock which will be moving much slower now... to be expected unfortunately when one releases a sub standard product for a high price and is found out.

Hopefully he learns from this and gets with the times in relation to proper speaker measurements.

JSmith

Tranquility Bass

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Somehow I don't think danny is an engineer. He got caught out selling junk and is now in damage control. How is it a $40 driver with a tiny Xmax ends up being sold in a system costing up to $1k ??

Andysu

Major Contributor
that wasn't a GR speaker that was Bose in disguise . :p

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Wouldn´t it be easier for a user who needs a pair of speakers in that size to get the KEF LSXII? I mean, considering they are active, at least you´d get a functional system for pretty much the same price.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
In my first physics class the teacher, after lengthy explanation about variation in atmospheric pressure vs height, posed a question to the classroom. How do we measure the height of a building with a barometer? I suggested one would go to the top of the building and toss the barometer off the edge and measure the time it would take to fall to the ground. Along similar line: To be fair I think few Giants would survive being hit in the head with the this box judging by all the MDF its made of.

Ps, hearing the distortion in the video was easy, it's really bad, and this speaker is just nonsense.

Thanks for the review Amir.
Or the outside the box solution -- Go downstairs to the building superintendent's cubby, knock on the door and say to him (or her): "Mr. (or Ms) Superintendent, here I have this really nice barometer which I will give to you if you'll be so kind as to tell me how tall this building is." :)

sojun80

Somehow I don't think danny is an engineer. He got caught out selling junk and is now in damage control. How is it a $40 driver with a tiny Xmax ends up being sold in a system costing up to $1k ??
I'm not here to defend, but the original idea was to sell the speakers + flat pack for $200. Which at one time I had one in my cart as it fit the size reqs for my desktop and seemed like a fun project. Looks like its $289 now for the pair and then $100 for the flatpack. That's nuts. Looks like these are branded 2.0 and cost 2x...

I thought the idea was a kit one could put together themselves on the cheap - the 1k thing seems odd but it's likely just to make you do the DIY thing.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I'm not here to defend, but the original idea was to sell the speakers + flat pack for $200. Which at one time I had one in my cart as it fit the size reqs for my desktop and seemed like a fun project. Looks like its $289 now for the pair and then $100 for the flatpack. That's nuts. Looks like these are branded 2.0 and cost 2x...

I thought the idea was a kit one could put together themselves on the cheap - the 1k thing seems odd but it's likely just to make you do the DIY thing.
Yeah, but...

Even sans contour networks, I reckon that these sound at least as good as what I'm reading about the LGKs.
I do have a pair and they sound perfectly OK to me. Not "Ye cannae change the laws o'physics, Cap'n!" good but perfectly listenable & enjoyable (and even more so with a subwoofer). I haven't noticed any warbling, gurgling or gargling from them, e.g. ;)

Bonus vintage American ss hifi cred for anyone who can ID the amplifier I was using when I took this photo! :cool:

star-trek-star-trek-tos.gif

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, but...

Even sans contour networks, I reckon that these sound at least as good as what I'm reading about the LGKs.
I do have a pair and they sound perfectly OK to me. Not "violating the laws o'physics, Cap'n!" good but perfectly listenable & enjoyable (and even more so with a subwoofer). I haven't noticed any warbling, gurgling or gargling from them, e.g. ;)

Bonus vintage American ss hifi cred for anyone who can ID the amplifier I was using when I took this photo! :cool:
That looks like a Scott integrated. What are the components that look like resister standards from General Radio in the background on small table?

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
That looks like a Scott integrated. What are the components that look like resister standards from General Radio in the background on small table?
halfway there...
Which one? :) (it's a quasi-trick question!)

They are EICO integrated amps - both PP 7591A from the early/mid 1960s. One is an ST-40 and the other an ST-70. Extremely similar in many respects, but far from identical.

they're not exactly attractive even by EICO standards ;)

Since we lived not all that far from GenRad's birthplace, I do have a few cute bits and pieces of GenRad hardware, from the Harvard town dump (of couse) Indeed, one of the erstwhile "Selectmen" (as they were still then called) in Harvard in our early days there was a retired GenRad CEO president, Bill Thurston. A wonderful man.

Selkirks

Yeah, but...

I do have a pair and they sound perfectly OK to me. Not "Ye cannae change the laws o'physics, Cap'n!" good but perfectly listenable & enjoyable

I have 4.5" Fostex FF125WK based speakers in Tekton cabinets that are a nice listen. As long as the volume stays at reasonable levels they are a happy addition to my speaker collection. I'd stick with brands that have been making little FR drivers for years before trying the "giant killers"

20220622_182358.jpg

Last edited:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
:)
Hermon Hosmer, baby! ;)

It's a Scott LK-60, which was the kit version of the 260. These are fairly early transistor Class AB integrated amps using a quasi-complementary design with capacitor coupling. :)
The kit version had a slightly different front panel layout, plus a meter! :)
I picked up that one very inexpensively, mostly because it had the optional walnut case, which I repurposed to hold a Scott FM tuner :)
It's actually not a bad little amplifier.
But I digress. :facepalm:
(me?! Perish the thought)
:cool:

JSmith

Master Contributor

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Not to go too far down this side alley ;) but that's not 40 "FTC" watts per channel ;)
More like 15 to 20 'continuous' watts into 8 ohms, broadband, at reasonable distortion.

petezapie

after watching Danny's new video he confirmed his recording use a subwoofer and an inline filter for the satellites bass. He proudly touting he can reach the 90db range.

Top Bottom