• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Designing a 3D Printable Case for the Khadas Tone Board

JohsonChou

Here is it sitting on top of Massdrop THX AAA... It is tiny...

DSC00180.JPG

JohsonChou

My tone board arrived today. I ordered one of the DIY cases for Khadas board but they didn't send it. Looks like the whole enclosure can be 3D printed? I don't have a 3D printer. Would someone be willing to sell me a case?

You can try 3d hubs. I don't know their pricing. If their price is outrageous I can print you one.

JohsonChou

Did you throw some feet on it or are my eyes messing with me? The reflection from the smooth surface on the THX AAA is making it hard for me to tell. If so, what kind of feet did you go with?

Yeah it has rubber feet. It is from my local dollar tree...

billqs

Looks like $8.50 to $21.00 depending on the material to use. I'm assuming we got the best design from ABS?

JohsonChou

No material requirement since there is no load or thermal requirements. Just go with the cheapest one.

billqs

Thanks everyone! Looks like I should have the case in 10 days.

JohsonChou

Yeah, the files in the link are pretty are pretty much up to date. Only thing that I've been playing with since the test fitting is the power indicator design. Not quite sure which to go with...View attachment 18421

My board has a built in led on the side. You can see it from the picture ( the board is upside down)

Roen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Where are you guys doing your 3D printing?

Do we have a link to the latest file?

Frost

Got my board today. Other than my USB C port being soldered on just slightly crooked, the fit is great so thanks again for the file.
View attachment 18431
Yeah, mine arrived too earlier this afternoon, and the port was off on mine too. Modified the backplate a bit more and made the hole a tad larger so things would fit better, and uploaded it here, in case anyone needs the link again.

Dang. wish I knew there'd be an indicator on the board... Was gonna do what Tim did and solder an led to the pads he pointed out in the other thread, but after looking through the specs to verify, I'm kinda hesitant since it's labeled TONE_5V and I'm not sure the consequences of soldering an led there... guess I'll modify the case design a bit again in a bit so the light where the indicator is shines though instead of the one in the center like I was doing before...

Roen, I'm guessing the guys posting their cases here have their own printers so they're printing their own

Last edited:

billqs

I ordered mine from one of the available links where Frost has the files hosted. About $8.50 plus another 6 or so to ship.

Jave

@Frost - Do you have cad file (step,stp,iges,fusion360, solidworks etc) for the case?
I'm trying to purchase one online and the maker says it is too thin for his machine in the USB connection and the LED groove, so he needs to fix it. It will be very appreciated. Thanks! (or upload a version without the USB dent\LED groove)

JohsonChou

@Frost - Do you have cad file (step,stp,iges,fusion360, solidworks etc) for the case?
I'm trying to purchase one online and the maker says it is too thin for his machine in the USB connection and the LED groove, so he needs to fix it. It will be very appreciated. Thanks! (or upload a version without the USB dent\LED groove)

Geez, if that is too thin... I bet he is using like 0.6mm layer height or something...

Jave

I ordered mine from one of the available links where Frost has the files hosted. About $8.50 plus another 6 or so to ship.
Which app did you choose? There is more than 1 option.

JohsonChou

In the order it says "100 μm layer height"

Well if you are using SLA/DLP printing services then it will be too thin (also more expensive).

Top Bottom