• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

Brantome

Major Contributor
No, until now it is only in beta white list preview.
So public preview will be the next step I think.

Yeah, I'm aware of that - the point I was making is that the updated What's New page I linked to has entries for "Amazon Ultra HD support on WiiM App (Public preview)" on 6/25 and "Amazon Ultra HD support on WiiM App (Release)" on 6/30, while it only has "Amazon Ultra HD casting from Amazon Music App (Public preview)" on 6/30 with no follow-up date for its release.

I also notice they don't mention fixing gapless playback for casting AMHD

Last edited:

Music1969

Major Contributor
I also notice they don't mention fixing gapless playback for casting AMHD
It's there in future

They told me they will attempt for next month.

But I imagine it is tricKy

They are tackling gapless inside Wiim Home app first. Which is probably easier

AyGee

... while it only has "Amazon Ultra HD casting from Amazon Music App (Public preview)" on 6/30 with no follow-up date for its release.
Sorry for my misunderstanding.

Maybe they hope that the public preview will later be declare as final release. ;)
At the moment all beta users who have this feature currently say it is already rock solid.

thomasward00

Their priority is amazon and after that they go to their next project which is tidal mqa first unfold.
So far Amazon HD from the Wiim app is working great..... Long as Amazon, Qobuz, Tidal and Spoitify are supported I'm good. I don't need to add 10 layers of complication with Casting and Roon stuff..... I'm happy to use the Wiim app.

I would be exited in the future when Wiim releases for feature laiden products in the coming months and years.

Last edited:

Witterings

Does anybody know if any media players have an option to cast to these ... be great if you could with Windows Media Player, VLC, Realtime Player or some other.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
I am getting 352.80 to my Dac via optical playing on Tidal Master Quiet Winter Night - Hoff ensemble, even that the maximum setting is 192.
Is that the bitrate (kbps) or sample rate (kHz)? Looks like mp3 or aac bitrate.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Not saying this is the best solution for everyone, but for my listening 15 ft from the hi-fi rack , this combo of bigger text and setting "max_lines=4" for artist and track title has been working really well.
Cool, wasn't aware of the max_lines attribute of textwrap(). That's a handy thing to know. Thanks!

amper42

Major Contributor
I am getting 352.80 to my Dac via optical playing on Tidal Master Quiet Winter Night - Hoff ensemble, even that the maximum setting is 192.
I download the 352.8kHz version from HDTracks of Quiet Winter Knights - Hoff ensemble. Here is what I get:
A. It plays on the Wiim to Topping D90SE DAC and the DAC shows it as 192kHz.
B. It doesn't play on the Wiim to MiniDSP Flex. The sound is a horrible crackle.
C. MacBook Pro connected directly to RME ADI-2 plays "Quiet Winter Knights" showing 352.8kHz on DAC.

My guess is your DAC may be showing a false reading?
Wiim cannot pass a file size greater than 192kHz in my two setups.

Last edited:

Turambar

Maybe he is using Tidal Connect and he has attached a DAC to the optical output of the WiiM that can handle MQA x8.

thomasward00

I download the 352.8kHz version from HDTracks of Quiet Winter Knights - Hoff ensemble. Here is what I get:
A. It plays on the Wiim to Topping D90SE DAC and the DAC shows it as 192kHz.
B. It doesn't play on the Wiim to MiniDSP Flex. The sound is a horribly crackle.
C. MacBook Pro connected directly to RME ADI-2 plays "Quiet Winter Knights" showing 352.8kHz on DAC.

My guess is your DAC may be showing a false reading?
Wiim cannot pass a file size greater than 192kHz in my two setups.
192khz is a Toslink limitation, the ESS Sabre 9016 in my Arcam amp can only do 96khz via Toslink, it will do 192khz via Coax.

My question is there really an audible need for more than 24/192?

Music1969

Major Contributor
Roon can't (won't) support UPnP/DLNA. A non-starter for me. I've happily used LMS for years.
There is this new UPnP bridging feature with RoPieee

I haven't tested but wounds like it could be a good solution for Roon playing to your own UPnP renderers (I'm guessing that's what it would do)

Top Bottom