• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Naim Uniti Atom Review (Streamer & Amp)

Rate this streamer:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 280 68.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 93 22.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 21 5.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 14 3.4%

• Total voters

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I also see things like this from Naim on their current website which make claims for their products that I would like to see supported by research and data…

Not everyone sees hi-fi as we do. For us, a smooth, stable, low-noise power supply isn’t just desirable: it’s fundamental to proper hi-fi performance. Nowhere is that belief more clearly exemplified than in our reference 555 PS DR, the best power supply in our portfolio.

Originally designed to partner our world-class CD555 CD player, the 555 PS can also be used with our ND 555, NDS, NDX and NDX 2network players, our HDX hard disk player/ server and our DAC digital to analogue converter as well as the CDX2 CD player. Whatever Naim Audio product it partners, the 555 PS DR will improve every aspect of your favourite music. Voices and instruments become clearer and more natural. Perceived dynamic range increases too, while timing – music’s fundamental sense of rhythm and accuracy – snaps into even greater focus

NDRQ

I also see things like this from Naim on their current website which make claims for their products that I would like to see supported by research and data…

Not everyone sees hi-fi as we do. For us, a smooth, stable, low-noise power supply isn’t just desirable: it’s fundamental to proper hi-fi performance. Nowhere is that belief more clearly exemplified than in our reference 555 PS DR, the best power supply in our portfolio.

Originally designed to partner our world-class CD555 CD player, the 555 PS can also be used with our ND 555, NDS, NDX and NDX 2network players, our HDX hard disk player/ server and our DAC digital to analogue converter as well as the CDX2 CD player. Whatever Naim Audio product it partners, the 555 PS DR will improve every aspect of your favourite music. Voices and instruments become clearer and more natural. Perceived dynamic range increases too, while timing – music’s fundamental sense of rhythm and accuracy – snaps into even greater focus

What a bullshit. If a garbage like this can only reproduce 11bits of resolution, then that is not high fidelity, doesnt matter what someone believes.

al2002

Someone started a thread on this review over on the official Nain forum. Looks like the thread was deleted after a few posts.

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Someone started a thread on this review over on the official Nain forum. Loks like the thread was deleted deleted after a few posts.
Clearly the strategy is to pretend this does not exist. All people that still defend the performance of this thing, calling it acceptable for the price, should take note of this. Clearly the company itself does not even want to defend this review, so why should you :facepalm:

Metronomy

Two modest considerations:

Maybe those who buy this Naim do not listen critically and also want a nice object to exhibit. Maybe most of the time it will stay off. Perhaps after all, he buys it he wants a brand to display together with a Cassina chair.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Maybe those who buy this Naim do not listen critically and also want a nice object to exhibit. Maybe most of the time it will stay off. Perhaps after all, he buys it he wants a brand to display together with a Cassina chair.
No owner would ever admit to this ;) Nor does any review mention this is just a device for casual listening. In fact, it’s hailed as the best thing since sliced bread.

Garrincha

I must say I see the measurements with quite a bit of Schadenfreude. Several years ago I bought some older used Naim amp to drive my Quad ESL 63s as it was recommended by someone. A few days later it went almost up in flames. I was reading on all these Naim products, external power supplies, and the whole gamut of CD players which still all have a supposedly different sound, with a lot of skepticism, but also a bit fascination. This has gone now and there does not seem to remain much except nicely designed devices with ridiculous prices and a lot of marketing lingo.

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just looking at Naim prices, I can’t believe that any potential consumer doesn’t have the feeling to be taken for a fool.
And we haven’t seen the internal parts yet….

Ah wait. According to an ASR member, it has an incredible feature: it can display the cd cover large enough (so that you can still see it while you’re on the toilet on the other side of the room).

Amazing! Like him, I can’t appreciate the music without looking at the cd cover. Like him, I need at least 10x10 inches picture while listening to music otherwise I feel lost. Like him, I don’t want to use my phone and need a remote control because I don’t have friends and all my remote controls keep me company on my sofa….
lol, that's a bit unnecessary! (A bit childish)

Haskil

Forum Donor
lol, c'est un peu inutile ! (Un peu enfantin)
Yes !
(sorry for my english) In fact:
If you have 100 dematerialized discs in your server, listen to the radio or Qobuz playlists, choosing on the front of a streamer is possible, if you have many, many discs, thousands for example, it is impractical, really impractical. .. you have to go through an application on a mobile phone or tablet or through software installed on a computer...
Besides, standalone streamers and all-in-one devices are not practical to use alone and nothing will replace for a music lover who loves music and who has a great nightclub: Roon, Audirvana, Jriver, Foobar, Music -Itunes... and their dedicated applications on Iphone, Android or tablet... Roon and Audirvana are perfect for that.. . .and for the price of a very modest hifi streamer you can have a small dedicated computer connected to a DAC 24/7...
Autonomous and ruinous hifi streamers are really not made for us... One last thing: the most important thing, the level of performance achieved, is the management and research software and there: Audirvana and Roon are the most practical in my opinion with Music-Itunes which has two or three essential functions that the others do not have: for me, it is Music-Itunes to manage rankings and write tags and Audirvana and Roon to listen, correct, etc. . And Sonos in secondary listening... (I use to see their evolutions: Heos, Musicast, Roon, Audirvana, Music-Itunes, JRiver, Foobar... on Mac (not Foobar) and on PC). Roon annoys me for his absurd metadata in classical music, but frankly for the rest nothing to say...
But hey, this NAIM test bench is interesting to show that its hardware performance is insufficient for a demanding music-loving audiophile... I'm impatiently awaiting a BE of the NAIM external power supplies and their technical analysis... linked to their price.

Last edited:

DWI

A Chinese review has much better multitone. Why is this? What is -1dbFS?

There are loads of independent reviews, especially the new headphone edition, and people just love this device, for sound quality and useability. I don’t know why there should be such a disconnect between ASR and everyone else. It is a streaming device, but measured through spdif that I doubt anyone uses. Has that got anything to do with it?

al2002

Overall. the Atom does not test well there either. Using safari‘s translator the closing comment is worth repeating:
”After seeing the measurement data, the friend who sent the test said: The ears have been offended!”

Last edited:

al2002

Clearly the strategy is to pretend this does not exist. All people that still defend the performance of this thing, calling it acceptable for the price, should take note of this. Clearly the company itself does not even want to defend this review, so why should you :facepalm:
You misunderstand. I only reported what I observed. Not interested in defending this product. Why would you think that?

RuCiao

Ask yourself why you bought the Atom in the first place. I wouldnt worry a thing if you compared with other amplifiers and found that the Atom sounded the best. What measurements show and what the ear likes is not always the same .
I bought the Atom because I was looking for a all in one solution with great connectivity. In that regard it met my expectations. Software is great and the Atom is convenient to use (I also really like the Zigbee remote). What bothers me is that it does seem to have a certain sound signature. I’m not sure if this is possible from a more objective standpoint. But to me it’s like there is an in-built equalizer. I can hear the difference when I connect a Topping dac (preamp mode) to the Boxem poweramp (instead of the Atom). I found a Nova review on a french website that describes the difference I hear:

“Quant à la transparence... Nous sommes en présence d'un Naim, qui dit Naim dit signature sonore, qui dit coloration, dit transparence et neutralité remisées au second plan. Rien ne sert de s'étendre sur ce critère, certains apprécieront le "Son" Naim, d'autres détesteront... A vous de juger !”

Maybe this is subjective nonsense. But I find it quite remarkable.

Last edited:

al2002

BTW, it is not unexpected that the manufacture’s forum deleted the thread. IIRC, Harbeth did not permit discussio of Amir’s test of the Harbeth 30 Over on their forum.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The Atom does not test well there either. Using safari‘s translator the closing comment is worth repeating:
”After seeing the measurement data, the friend who sent the test said: The ears have been offended!”
To be fair, the -1 dBfs looks quite a bit better:
DAC0Multitone.jpg

vs
DAC-1Multitone.jpg

Clearly, the Naim has an issue with full-scale output. All other measurements look somewhat comparable though.

@amirm, possibly it would be good to add the -1 dBfs test to the procedure in case the results of the regular multitone are poor?
You misunderstand. I only reported what I observed. Not interested have in defending this product. Why would you think that?
I don't ;) Like you, I just made a general observation. None of it was directed directly at you personally :)

Last edited:

sspfr

Maybe those who never heard the item have very strong views on those who bought it :). Mine stays in the kitchen cupboard with some ventilation and is on most of the time. A mix of background music and a bit more focussed listening through small speakers in a kitchen setting. I bought mine not to buy Sonos and it does the job. Not sure what my chairs are.

Garrincha

The funny thing about the audiophools is, they want gear that sounds amazing and special, but are offended when being pointed out to that it measures badly. And transparent sound, on the other hand, is too sterile for their taste. So basically they don't know what they want, if it is "lush mids and glorious sound" and the like, they should be proud of all the distortion, and if they want well measuring equipment, they should accept "sterile" sound. You cannot have both.

Last edited:

DWI

To be fair, the -1 dBfs looks quite a bit better:
DAC0Multitone.jpg

vs
DAC-1Multitone.jpg

Clearly, the Naim has an issue with full-scale output. All other measurements look somewhat comparable though.

@amirm, possibly it would be good to add the -1 dBfs test to the procedure in case the results of the regular multitone are poor?

I don't ;) Like you, I just made a general observation. None of it was directed directly at you personally :)
I looked at the manual and the pre-outs are only designed to connect a powered subwoofer to the unit. They are not designed as the main signal output.

So judging this unit’s performance via the subwoofer output seems nonsensical and in any event at -1db FS it seems to measure much better. The measurements may be correct, but irrelevant to real life use/performance.

Top Bottom