• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JDS Labs Element III Review (DAC & Amp)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 20 6.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 159 55.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 106 36.7%

• Total voters

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Been using the Element III for a few days now and I'm really liking it!

Starting with the C5, moving to O2 and then ODAC, then Atom stack, now Element... I must say I'm a pretty loyal JDS Labs customer. I appreciate the consistently excellent support and lack of snakeoil.

Since JDS mentioned they are focusing on UX now that sound quality has been perfected, here are some thoughts/ideas I'd love for v4:
  • If you have the Element in front of you and to your left, you can see the knob LED through the OLED window.
  • The knob shouldn't be fragile enough to necessitate a warning about clicking it from the side vs the center.
  • Consider using Bluetooth or USB to configure instead of having a screen. Would clean up the look a tiny bit.
  • Balanced line out.
  • Optical out that acts as a passthrough output mode that can be turned on/off like line out. It wouldn't work with the preamp feature but this would make keeping noise out of speaker systems a lot simpler and still let it all be toggled by a nice button.
  • USB-C has supported Power Delivery for a while now and it'd be super cool to remove the extra power brick and cable if audio quality could be maintained. Admittedly I use optical so I don't think I could use this, but I've wanted it ever since USB-C PD was a thing :)
  • A breakout box that can be mounted under a desk, so the element only has a single cable coming out the back.
The biggest issue for me--a deal breaker, actually--is having the output switch on the back instead of the front. I would place this toward the back of my desk, under a monitor, and that would be really inconvenient to reach. I'd also like to see a version with balanced outputs. Otherwise, this is a great device, although out of my price range at the moment.

phrosty

Forum Donor
Thanks, @phrosty .

Agreed. The shaft was redesigned and changed from aluminum to stainless steel to improve ruggedness, so we may drop this tip.
That's fantastic!

The biggest issue for me--a deal breaker, actually--is having the output switch on the back instead of the front. I would place this toward the back of my desk, under a monitor, and that would be really inconvenient to reach. I'd also like to see a version with balanced outputs. Otherwise, this is a great device, although out of my price range at the moment.

I agree it's a strange choice; you can now configure the knob button to act as an output switch, so it's not a big deal.

Walter

I agree it's a strange choice; you can now configure the knob button to act as an output switch, so it's not a big deal.
I'm not a fan of multifunction switches/knobs, and I definitely don't want to have to enter a menu to make such a basic change that I will do multiple times per day. However, if it is something as simple as just pushing down on the knob, that would be OK. Just putting the switch on the front would still be preferable.

phrosty

Forum Donor
I'm not a fan of multifunction switches/knobs, and I definitely don't want to have to enter a menu to make such a basic change that I will do multiple times per day. However, if it is something as simple as just pushing down on the knob, that would be OK. Just putting the switch on the front would still be preferable.
The menu configures the button. From then on, it's just pressing the knob.

Walter

The menu configures the button. From then on, it's just pressing the knob.
In that case, while this is still out of my current price range and unavailable until I make a trip back to the USA, it is extremely high on my list of wants.

ichliebes

Just received my Element III couples days ago. It's like a piece of art. Wish I can find some suitable storage box for it (there's always a lot of dust in my room).

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Checked the menu and I don't see how to make that switch... just upgraded to fw 2.2.0 and even there only 3 options show up, the notes state...

## v2.2.0
* Feature: Added "Knob Button" to the options menu, configurable as:
- Toggle Input [Default]
- Toggle Output [Note: Requires bootloader dated 14-March-2022]
- Mute (USB only)
- Mute (SPDIF only)

But unfortunately don't mention where to get the "bootloader" so the toggle output doesn't show. I reached out to support and I am sure they'll fix it, though, just a bit of extra work... :p

PS: It's taken care of only 30mins later - thanks JDS! They certainly weren't kidding about the quality of their support!

Last edited:

Jimster480

Major Contributor
So I am wondering; is there a way to switch from RCA to headphone output without pressing the button on the back of the device? Does it have auto sleep?
Can I control the volume of the RCA outputs directly from the volume control?
I am considering this for my 2nd desk with speakers which is currently driven by a Topping D30 from years ago. This would let me get a headphone amp in the same device.

Right now the D30's front switches work well for me as I can switch it on and off (and change the input) as needed since I have multiple PC's feeding into it at once. It is just that the speakers themselves have a volume control only on the sub which is under the desk.... right now I roll down windows volume (but that is less than ideal for audio quality). So I want to be able to roll down DAC volume instead of windows volume.

Edit: it seems a firmware update has added the ability to switch outputs from the knob. I don't know about the rest of the things.

Rayman30

Forum Donor
I use Element II at work, not sure I could justify upgrading, I do wish I had the digital and auto gain, seriously doubt the difference is audible.

F1E2EA07-6F00-4D4C-BA6F-2207760F9013.jpeg

Rayman30

Forum Donor
Is that the XC? nice setup!

LCD-2 Closed, I compared them directly with the XC, I thought the XC was only slightly better but for a lot more money. I was able to get the 2 closed on eBay open box for $599, so far they blow me away for being closed backs.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
LCD-2 Closed, I compared them directly with the XC, I thought the XC was only slightly better but for a lot more money. I was able to get the 2 closed on eBay open box for $599, so far they blow me away for being closed backs.
LCD-2 is quite nice, but the headphones themselves are quite heavy IMHO

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To the other Element 3 owners - has any of you started to play with the different configuration options and made any good discoveries?

I am super happy with the match of the Element 3 and Beyerdynamic DT1990Pro, but wondering about the 2nd and 3rd harmonic filters. In my tests thus far, I haven't heard much of a difference though.

corinth

• If you have the Element in front of you and to your left, you can see the knob LED through the OLED window.
Just as an extra data point, this is not the case on my Element III, and I just moved around in my chair like a crazy person trying to find any angle where that might happen. For reference, I got my unit in early August as part of an Element II RMA. (They were out of Element II boards to implement a repair. My customer service experience was fantastic.)

So I am wondering; is there a way to switch from RCA to headphone output without pressing the button on the back of the device? Does it have auto sleep?
Can I control the volume of the RCA outputs directly from the volume control?
I am considering this for my 2nd desk with speakers which is currently driven by a Topping D30 from years ago. This would let me get a headphone amp in the same device.

Right now the D30's front switches work well for me as I can switch it on and off (and change the input) as needed since I have multiple PC's feeding into it at once. It is just that the speakers themselves have a volume control only on the sub which is under the desk.... right now I roll down windows volume (but that is less than ideal for audio quality). So I want to be able to roll down DAC volume instead of windows volume.

Edit: it seems a firmware update has added the ability to switch outputs from the knob. I don't know about the rest of the things.
Q: Can you switch from headphone to RCA without pressing the button?
A: Yes, you can configure a press of the knob to switch outputs or inputs on current firmware. However, it's super, duper easy to find and use the button on the back, such that I doubt you'd really feel the need to configure the knob to do it. There are only two buttons, and they're raised and separated enough that there's no difficulty at all in hitting the right one. Generally, if you have the unit close enough to use the volume knob, it's also going to be close enough to easily use the output button.

Q: Does the volume knob control the RCA output?
A: Yep!

Q: Does it have auto sleep?
A: I'm not sure. The manual only mentions USB stream activity in reference to the screen and ring LEDs:
In USB mode, the LEDs will turn off after 5 minutes of audio inactivity*. The LEDs will turn on: a. as soon as the USB stream becomes active again, or b. anytime the screen turns on with user interaction (which is true in any mode). When the screen turns off, the LEDs will turn off as well only if the USB stream has remained inactive for 5 minutes.

*The USB audio stream may be activated by any audio from your operating system. This feature has been tested under Win 10 and macOS. Behavior may vary with other operating systems. You can verify USB stream status in the “STATUS” menu.
If your question is getting at whether there is any delay in hearing sound over USB after a lengthy period of silence, there is not. If you're trying to sus out power draw or something else during active vs inactive USB audio, I don't know and haven't measured.

Last edited:

Giangi71

Just take an Element III boosted, it will arrive on next Thursday in Italy. I loved my previous El Amp II and I hope will be excellent

Jagamov

I received my Element III a few days ago. I purchased a B-Stock unit to save a few bucks. Super impressed with the quality of the unit. Seems very well built, and I have to really scrutinize it to see any “defects”.

I love the encoder and the large knob. Super smooth and the number of steps makes adjusting the volume a pleasure. Also love the display too. Perfect amount of information.

And it sounds great. Have yet to go into high gain. Can’t wait to see how it does with my HD6xx‘s once I get them.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I received my Element III a few days ago. I purchased a B-Stock unit to save a few bucks. Super impressed with the quality of the unit. Seems very well built, and I have to really scrutinize it to see any “defects”.

I love the encoder and the large knob. Super smooth and the number of steps makes adjusting the volume a pleasure. Also love the display too. Perfect amount of information.

And it sounds great. Have yet to go into high gain. Can’t wait to see how it does with my HD6xx‘s once I get them.
it is great.

I can read the display but it certainly is not 50 year old friendly...

sound is immaculate, wish there was more info on the harmonics and filters.

have never ever driven stuff into high gain with any of my headphones. things get ear hurtingly loud way before 0dB imo.

Jagamov

it is great.

I can read the display but it certainly is not 50 year old friendly...

sound is immaculate, wish there was more info on the harmonics and filters.

have never ever driven stuff into high gain with any of my headphones. things get ear hurtingly loud way before 0dB imo.

I'm with you on the 50 year old eyes. Luckily cheaters exist....

Yeah, I'd like to know more about the harmonics and filters too, but I probably don't understand it anyway.

I picked up my Element III last August after realizing my DAC/amp setup at my desk was very frustrating. I wanted to go with JDS Labs over its competitors for JDS's excellent post-sales support and reliability track record, and I like to support US manufacturing whenever I can. The Element III's main advantage over something the Atom stack seems to all be in quality-of-life improvements. You get one box on your desk instead of two, aluminum construction instead of plastic, the auto-high-gain feature and OLED screen, digital volume control, and the big knob.

With the Element III, I don't have to think about source gear for a very long time. I've had no issues with my Element III with a range of devices: my Windows work laptop, my personal Mac, my iPad, and a WiiM Mini. The big knob is especially useful for controlling the volume of the Kali IN-UNFs I recently picked up.

For what it's worth I've heard that JDS will offer you an off-menu Element III with even more power available if you email them kindly. I've only ever switched into high gain once, and that was with for a headphone with an EQ preset that had a whopping -12.5 dB preamp on source material that had a low volume to begin with. The Sundara, which is the most power hungry headphone I have right now, has never been switched into high gain even with the -7.5 dB preamp I run to add the Harman bass shelf.

I've added wireless streaming support to my Element III by hooking up a WiiM Mini to the optical input on my Element III. This is a little cheaper than the EL DAC II+ and EL AMP II stack once you add the BT board to the EL DAC II+, and you can still effectively have a one-box solution on your desk by taping the WiiM to the underside of your desk as I've done.

The WiiM Mini also allows you to mix analog sources with your Element III. To get decent audio quality from my Xbox, I feed the 3.5mm output from my display to the WiiM, which then goes to the Element III to be outputted to either my Kalis, or my headphone.

P.S. John if you're reading this I will happily upgrade my Element III if you make an Element IV that includes 10-band parametric EQ built-in where I can upload profiles via an app, like the Qudelix-5K. I don't need all the pro audio features of the RME ADI-2 and it only includes 7 bands of EQ.

Top Bottom