• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

Veri

Master Contributor
I ordered from there. Not being sure of it but think that they still wait for their first batch. They will arrive to Audiophonics on December 12 from what they have told me.
Your order shipped yet? Think they received one batch that instantly sold out lol

GAP

Your order shipped yet? Think they received one batch that instantly sold out lol

No still waiting. Did you also order from Audiophonics?
I pre-ordered the first day it became available on the site but I might still have missed the first batch then.

i have ordered it from amazon and now its pricier by about 30$ so even i could (its theoretically dispached but no collection yet on dhl site) cancel my order i will wait for it and give a time for Topping to fix the issues. I've got a Cambridge DacMagic 100 right now and its drivers could work under youtube, games etc. so there is no need to improvise with windows sound, theres just Cambridge Asio and it controll the unit all the time. One issue is that when swiching from bitstreaming in Jriver and wanting to play Youtube fe it will not cut off bitstream and theres need to turn dac off and on to jump out of bitstream.

Veri

Master Contributor
No still waiting. Did you also order from Audiophonics?
I pre-ordered the first day it became available on the site but I might still have missed the first batch then.
I ordered it with something else and got shipping notice, but I think they only shipped item #2 in the mean time (it's not really clear).
I placed my order Sunday so would not make sense for mine to get fulfilled before yours. I'd be happy though :D

Last edited:

pii75

I ordered from Audiophonics the 11th of November, item has been sent last thursday and expected to arrive tomorrow

pii75

Let me say something about Amirm review.
I think his reviews are an objective way to understand the goodness of a product. The click issue is outside the scope of measurements and the review can not be putted in discussion for this reason.
About linearity test... Most of the times the measurements of Amirm have confirmed the measurements showed by Topping in their products brochure.
In case of DX3pro we have for instance:

Topping / Armirm
THD 0,0004 / 0.000469
SNR 120 / 117 (but Amirm values is not weigthed)
Output Impedance 0.8 / 1

Results are very similar so I think that if Topping claims that noise is less than 2uV RMS (on D10 it claims 4uV) I think there is no any noise issue, regardless of the linearity test done by Amirm, that as he says is a very difficult test to setup.

Bigsy

Let me say something about Amirm review.
I think his reviews are an objective way to understand the goodness of a product. The click issue is outside the scope of measurements and the review can not be putted in discussion for this reason.
About linearity test... Most of the times the measurements of Amirm have confirmed the measurements showed by Topping in their products brochure.
In case of DX3pro we have for instance:

Topping / Armirm
THD 0,0004 / 0.000469
SNR 120 / 117 (but Amirm values is not weigthed)
Output Impedance 0.8 / 1

Results are very similar so I think that if Topping claims that noise is less than 2uV RMS (on D10 it claims 4uV) I think there is no any noise issue, regardless of the linearity test done by Amirm, that as he says is a very difficult test to setup.
When problems come to light the review should be amended. Should a product continue to be recommended when there is a clear fault with one of its most common use cases?

pii75

To me it is not a clear fault (also because I use to listen to music in an old style album by album), but I can understand your disappointment.
But if I were you I only could blame my self to have no patience to wait some other reviews

Bigsy

To me it is not a clear fault (also because I use to listen to music in an old style album by album), but I can understand your disappointment.
But if I were you I only could blame my self to have no patience to wait some other reviews
So your disagreeing with Toppings own assessment of the situation?

THW

Forum Donor
if you guys are still talking about the clicking issue, i honestly don’t see how this is even remotely close to being a dealbreaker based on my (limited) experience with it (I only just received it)

and the remote works as it should on my side, don’t understand the complaints about that either

pii75

I still have not the item to evaluate better, but if it is as described (a click when changing bit rate) to me it is not a big issue. I understand from Topping that at least this situation where clicks happens only at bit/rate changes is reachable by a firmware upgrade, so in this case the situation is not dramatic

Bigsy

I still have not the item to evaluate better, but if it is as described (a click when changing bit rate) to me it is not a big issue. I understand from Topping that at least this situation where clicks happens only at bit/rate changes is reachable by a firmware upgrade, so in this case the situation is not dramatic
A click when changing bit rate is not the problem. Why don't you wait till you actually receive the unit before proclaiming if its a problem or not?

Last edited:

Bigsy

if you guys are still talking about the clicking issue, i honestly don’t see how this is even remotely close to being a dealbreaker based on my (limited) experience with it (I only just received it)

and the remote works as it should on my side, don’t understand the complaints about that either
I don't understand how people can't grasp that the unit will be used in different ways, in some use cases it makes very few clicks when used as a dedicated source. In other use cases like a default OS source that damn thing doesn't stop clicking!

Simple fact is it should work properly for all cases its meant to, just because its ok for yours does not mean the unit is fine.

THW

Forum Donor
I don't understand how people can't grasp that the unit will be used in different ways, in some use cases it doesn't make very few clicks when used as a dedicated source. In other use cases like a default OS source that damn thing doesn't stop clicking!

Simple fact is it should work properly for all cases its meant to, just because its ok for yours does not mean the unit is fine.

my experience is even if it clicks, as long as you're playing music, you won't be able to hear it. i've deliberately tried changing the sampling rate and switching between browsers, and the conclusion is that the clicking sound doesn't actually affect my experience while listening with music.

its honestly not a bad product, to say this is shit because of this one flaw is, to put it bluntly, sperging

but i guess time will tell, still have my Buyer's Protection thing

Bigsy

my experience is even if it clicks, as long as you're playing music, you won't be able to hear it. i've deliberately tried changing the sampling rate and switching between browsers, and the conclusion is that the clicking sound doesn't actually affect my experience while listening with music.

its honestly not a bad product, to say this is shit because of this one flaw is, to put it bluntly, sperging

but i guess time will tell, still have my Buyer's Protection thing
I'm glad your happy with your faulty unit, I'm not, it doesn't work as expected, Topping except this so not really sure what your problem is? But just to address your points.
1. I doubt it will help the longevity of the unit if the relay flicks constantly.
2. Why is it only about the person listening? I'm sure people will use this in a multitude of situations where constant clicking will annoy people. I bought mine for work, my office is quiet, I think it would be pretty antisocial of me to use it in is current state.

THW

Forum Donor
my point is it exists but it’s not the absolute dealbreaker that people are making it out to be.

Bigsy

my point is it exists but it’s not the absolute dealbreaker that people are making it out to be.
Again, it depends on peoples use case. Let them decide if its a deal breaker for them or not.

Top Bottom