• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A90 Discrete Review (Headphone Amp & Preamp)

Rate this Headphone Amp/Pre-amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 16 4.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 13 3.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 69 17.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 306 75.7%

• Total voters
Whoops, yup, still my point stands. Actually, it's even a step backwards then compared to some other gadgets from them.

I still stick with my opinion that we're sliding into a marketing scheme - not just Topping - where every year a new gadget with slight improvements is released and sold for a higher price.

We only can hope that audio gear lasts longer than smartphones and consumers are more reasonable. But seeing how people still buy +1000$ phones just as a camera + expensive instant messaging and social media machine, my hopes are dim.
On the plus side it means that someone can pick up "outdated" hardware at a big discount once it's a few models back. Still, I agree, I'd rather not see such waste.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
For low impedance loads (32 Ohms or less), this unit seems more capable of delivering high wattage, which it must do so via current at such low impedances. However, experientially, both are likely indistinguishable.
I ordered the smsl sp400. I got already a smsl D300 DAC and I really have a issue with toppings quality control .

If the smsl sucks I can still return it to audiophonics

junki

How do you fit that volume control in the small chassis of the A30Pro?
Sure you can make the chassis bigger but that would require very expensive (re)tooling unless they reuse the chassis of the A90 which beats the whole purpose and price point of the A30Pro. Also the D30Pro would loose it's matching AMP when they make the chassis bigger.

I understand where you come from but from a practical and financial point of view it is never going to happen.
I'm not sure what you mean. Are you suggesting that to do this that Topping must take the A90D's volume knob and put it on the A30Pro? That's not how electronics work. An R2R stepped volume control doesn't take more room than a potentiometer. You can put whatever volume knob you want on it.

Red@

Another point that I didn't see gain focus, and certainly should impact the buying decision for a powerfull Headphone amp is Gain.
If I recall correctly, the A90 has 19+ db of gain. While this one gets downgraded in that regard.
I own an SP400 and I struggle with the lowish gain as I eq my headphones.
If I listen to a michel jackson or stevie Wonder song, my headphones don't get loud enough even at 99 (for other songs it is not the case).
I feel it is a compomise due to the discret nature of the product. Topping reduced gain to keep Sinad high.
Too bad, as I'll have to keep unsuccessfully looking for an upgrade to my amp.

Trell

Major Contributor
Another point that I didn't see gain focus, and certainly should impact the buying decision for a powerfull Headphone amp is Gain.
If I recall correctly, the A90 has 19+ db of gain. While this one gets downgraded in that regard.
I own an SP400 and I struggle with the lowish gain as I eq my headphones.
If I listen to a michel jackson or stevie Wonder song, my headphones don't get loud enough even at 99 (for other songs it is not the case).
I feel it is a compomise due to the discret nature of the product. Topping reduced gain to keep Sinad high.
Too bad, as I'll have to keep unsuccessfully looking for an upgrade to my amp.

Perhaps get a pair of headphones that is not badly designed? This reminds me of speakers dipping into 1 Ohm….

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Some great work from Topping , voted fine .
It still has the weird extension box and special low input impedance.
A pre amp should have better ergonomics and be in one box with more functionality.

Otherwise top technical performance, but that not alll you need from a product even a good one :)

Re voting. I weigh in other factors than performance when voting.

4udio

Less point of failure, cleaner look and you can easily change Remote. Dont see point of failure since wolume control also is good this time.
There is no such wolume control in this price from West companies.
This is totally wrong point of view. All features of the device should be usable withouth Remote. A90D has digital gain switch therefore it is easy to make it work by using volume knob/button. My child broke remote for topping D70s and it would be really bad if I've had to wait 3 weeks jut to be able to completely control my device. So this is a deal breaker for me.
Maybe Topping will enable this feature by some firmware update because if remote can do it, volume knob certanly can do it.

Pumpkin.0114

This is totally wrong point of view. All features of the device should be usable withouth Remote. A90D has digital gain switch therefore it is easy to make it work by using volume knob/button. My child broke remote for topping D70s and it would be really bad if I've had to wait 3 weeks jut to be able to completely control my device. So this is a deal breaker for me.
Maybe Topping will enable this feature by some firmware update because if remote can do it, volume knob certanly can do it.
agree!!!

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I ordered the smsl sp400. I got already a smsl D300 DAC and I really have a issue with toppings quality control .

If the smsl sucks I can still return it to audiophonics
And if Topping sucks you can also return it to Audiophonics... I don't see your point here.

ps.
My SMSL SP200 went up in smoke after about 13 months so SMSL is not the holy grail either.
All brands will have defects and issues. More important is how those issues are taken care of and solved. Doesn't really matter which brand you buy when you buy from a reseller like Audiophonics as the reseller will have to deal with the customer in that case and not the manufacturer. That is also the reason why I would never buy SMSL, Topping or whatever brand directly from China as then I would have to deal with them and the high shipping costs in case of an issue.

Oklei

Forum Donor
Is the volume setting linear or logarithmic? In the past I had problems with devices like smsl m500 when using them as a preamp. The usable volume range was only from 1-12 and therefore the volume couldn't be set precisely. This could be solved with XLR attenuators but I would prefer a logarithmic scale.

Trell

Major Contributor
Is the volume setting linear or logarithmic? In the past I had problems with devices like smsl m500 when using them as a preamp. The usable volume range was only from 1-12 and therefore the volume couldn't be set precisely. This could be solved with XLR attenuators but I would prefer a logarithmic scale.

That certainly can be a usability issue in some cases. The attenuators do have the added benefit of limiting the max volume that otherwise could be way too high.

Between the new A90 discrete and the regular A90 whic hsi the better option? Would it be worth it to pay extra for the a90d?

Trell

Major Contributor
Between the new A90 discrete and the regular A90 whic hsi the better option? Would it be worth it to pay extra for the a90d?

They are both very well measuring devices but have some differing features and that is a personal preference if that matters to you or not.

Cici

But how is the a90d preamp comparable to the pre90? If you want to get a level preamp with a purifi or hypex power amp better than the pre90 or the a90d? with the a90d I would also have a headphone amp and trigger out .. if the performance were the same perhaps better the a90d

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company

I have the A90 and I love it. I'm upgrading, or let's call it switching, to the A90D just because I can still send mine back to the dealer as he offers 365 days returns and mine is still within the return window. Also, I personally like ladder/relay volume controls then pot volume controls as I have had bad experiences with pot volume controls in the past. The LED holes display is a bonus, same as the remote. If the switching would have involved selling my A90 to get the A90D, then most likely I wouldn't have thought about switching to the A90D.

Veri

Master Contributor
I have the A90 and I love it. I'm upgrading, or let's call it switching, to the A90D just because I can still send mine back to the dealer as he offers 365 days returns and mine is still within the return window.
365 day return window?? o_O

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
365 day return window?? o_O

Yep, Headphones.com ;) Starting April 2022 they changed their return policy and now they charge 10% restocking fee but my A90 was purchased back in Oct 2021 so this new policy doesn't apply so I'm getting full refund minus $16 return shipping. I asked them to issue the refund in the form of store credit so I can get the A90D paying only $116 extra.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
At least you stick with their store ;)

Yes, that is correct. I wouldn't have taken advantage of their return policy if it wasn't for store credit.

Guys what exactly is the difference between volume pot control and a ladder relay type thingy? Which is better and which does the A90d have? Also does the d90se çome with a remote?

Top Bottom