• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Grimani Systems Rixos-L Review (Active DSP Speaker)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 13 7.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 51 29.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 90 51.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 21 12.0%

• Total voters
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
8000$ to watch movies?
That's nothing. We (Madrona Digital) have done a number of theaters that cost $300,000+. A projector alone may be $100K.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
These are speakers for one that desires a comprehensive collection of surround sound gear and not for the faint of heart. :D
I recently paid almost $20,000 $30,000 for my new LCR speakers.

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Cool! Should I ask here what you purchased? Might be off topic. I am curious what a acoustician purchased for his own home use.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Vertical directivity IS OPTIMAL bc it is optimized for a 10* downward angle. This is not a stereo speaker designed for the middle of your living room. It is an inwall speaker designed to be a little higher up on the front wall behind a perforated projection screen or on a side wall, also above ear level .
The tilt is not a problem, but its general not optimal continuity which can be seen better at the normalised plot:

index.php

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This looks very nice! A great spinorama and a impressive array of impressive appearing drivers. Okies I won't post more about this because this is a review thread. I'm already being bad. :facepalm:
zzzzzzzzzzzz.png

jam

Cool to see a review of this Grimani Systems Rixos-L active DSP speaker Amir, thanks. Gene DellaSala from Audioholics had Anthony Grimany one one of his YouTube videos to present his new line of active DSP speakers a few months ago. They started the video by discussing, not audio... more important matters like what high-end chocolate they we're going to enjoy during the interview. :p

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The tilt is not a problem, but its general not optimal continuity which can be seen better at the normalised plot:

index.php
For the intended market, home theatre with fixed seats, and with good alignment it’s acceptable but for home theatre with a TV and scattered seating it’s not good.

Maiky76

The Tonal Regression Curves are very telling, but I guess these speakers would be installed by the company, and they can easily put in parametric EQ filters to mimic near perfectly a linear tone control which I'm thinking they might tune with the customer present.
That's what I said, no?

The following EQs are “anechoic” EQs to get the speaker right before room integration. If you able to implement these EQs you must add EQ at LF for room integration, that is usually not optional… see hints there: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...helf-speaker-review.11144/page-26#post-800725
Probably need professional tuning....

Hart

Maybe someone mentioned this but it would have to go into a wall framed with a 2 x 6, will not fit into a normal 2 x 4 wall.

Everett T

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Maybe someone mentioned this but it would have to go into a wall framed with a 2 x 6, will not fit into a normal 2 x 4 wall.
What do you mean normal 2x4 wall? Also, I'd imagine that a lot of these go into baffles made for specific media rooms, custom work.

Ra1zel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I bet for 8k$ it also includes state of the art amps and dsp

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Given this budget and appeal of DSP, I'd go with Genelec and GLM
I believe this speaker also has a DSP and along with a program like REW you get the same capability of GLM.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So why did nobody mention that this thing has a super cool waveguide? It's actually an up-firing compression driver and the waveguide has some resemblance to what B&O uses:
s50_lens_wide-1024x689.jpeg

vs
1656066131614.png

It has been redesigned to work on a flat baffle. They also have speakers that look much more like the B&O version, like this one:
gs_component_alpha.png

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So why did nobody mention that this thing has a super cool waveguide? It's actually an up-firing compression driver and the waveguide has some resemblance to what B&O uses:

It has been redesigned to work on a flat baffle. They also have speakers that look much more like the B&O version, like this one:
Great find!
Developed by Grimani Systems founder Manny LaCarrubba, the Conic Section Array™ (CSA) is a novel waveguide that represents a new class of ultra-wide dispersion device. The CSA grew out of Manny’s work with a previous invention called Acoustic Lens Technology (ALT). Danish consumer electronics company Bang & Olufsen utilizes ALT. You can find Manny’s invention rising out of the dashboards of several of the major European automotive brands, and in nearly all of B&O’s higher end speaker and video products.

What these waveguides do is solve the age-old problem that all conventional high frequency drive units have with the beaming high frequency content in an ever increasingly narrow coverage angle. This means that you can only hear full frequency content if you are directly in front of the speaker (or nearly so). It’s important to realize that ALL loudspeakers exhibit this behavior to some degree –Acoustic Lenses or a Conic Section Array™ GREATLY mitigate the problem.
Definitely an interesting company. Talking about research orientated manufacturers...

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is a review and detailed measurements of the Grimani Systems Rixos-L active DSP speaker. It was sent to me by the company and costs about USD $8,200. A free application is provided...

Do you have to spend the eight large to get the free application? :)

Seriously, though, I wonder how folks playing at this level decide to buy something like this? Do pro installers have 'showrooms' that prospective customers can demo the products, and possible competitors? Or do they just hand their contractor the keys to the front door, and say, "Put something in it that will astonish me, and call me when it's finished?"

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you have to spend the eight large to get the free application? :)
The review said, the amplifier is a 3rd party DSP amplifier from the Italian company, Powersoft (Mezzo 604A). I assume the app comes with the amplifier.

Seriously, though, I wonder how folks playing at this level decide to buy something like this? Do pro installers have 'showrooms' that prospective customers can demo the products, and possible competitors? Or do they just hand their contractor the keys to the front door, and say, "Put something in it that will astonish me, and call me when it's finished?"
All or any combination of the above.

beagleman

Major Contributor

The system seems to have Fairly impressive performance, but now seeing it uses 2- $200 woofers, changed my view of it a decent bit.

I get it has the Active DSP and all that...but what are we actually getting for $8,000??
Is this ONE speaker, an amp and DSP control......?

Asking seriously, what is included at that cost?

Top Bottom