• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8341A SAM™ Studio Monitor Review

Trell

Major Contributor
Remember that there seems to be a sound quality gain with GLM 4.2.0 . If I were you, I would check that the original 8351A can have that update.

Possibly it will not have so many available PEQ as the successor but have to check with Genelec or look in the manual for that.

Tangband

Major Contributor
Possibly it will not have so many available PEQ as the successor but have to check with Genelec or look in the manual for that.
Yes .
All the people out there who have the 8341 and have done the GLM calibration and maybe miss some of the deep bass, -you can try to add some manual shelving in GLM and lower everything higher than 100 Hz with -5 dB .
What you get then is a bit like the Harman curve with more bass, prefered by most listeners. Try it .:)
Maybe you dont need subs after that .
2B2C7B38-E37C-48CC-B0FA-EF30EA2D38C9.png

Last edited:

Trell

Major Contributor
Yes .
All the people out there who have the 8341 and have done the GLM calibration and maybe miss some of the deep bass, -you can try to add some manual shelving in GLM and lower everything higher than 100 Hz with -5 dB .
What you get then is a bit like the Harman curve with more bass, prefered by most listeners. Try it .:)
Maybe you dont need subs after that .
View attachment 214286

I use the dynamic loudness of my RME ADI-2 DAC for increased bass at lower volume levels, so no need for me to use the increased bass for my pair of 8330A. My wife seems happy without the bass increase on her pair, though.

Edit: I should add that my pair of 8330A is connected to a 7360A subwoofer that did not get the firmware update for positive gain PEQ or shelf.

Last edited:

Mikk

I use the dynamic loudness of my RME ADI-2 DAC for increased bass at lower volume levels, so no need for me to use the increased bass for my pair of 8330A. My wife seems happy without the bass increase on her pair, though.

Edit: I should add that my pair of 8330A is connected to a 7360A subwoofer that did not get the firmware update for positive gain PEQ or shelf.
Yeah, using the Sound Character Profiler to add bass doesn’t seem effective if the sub isn’t capable of having a positive gain EQ.
@Tangband sounds like a good solution for more bass! I miss the ‘tilt’ feature in the SCP that was available in previous GLM versions, which had a similar effect.

Having said that, having a fairly flat frequency response at the listening position doesn’t seem too bright with 8341’s, strangely enough, though a little bass boost is always welcome as long as it stays clean/tight!

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello,

i'm a new member here.
After having read all those discussions about the 8341A, I would like to ask a question.
I have the opportunity of buying either a demo pair of 8341A or a demo pair of 8351A (so it's the "old" version of the model)
both pair have the same price.
I feel a bit lost... what model should I choose between both ? The goal is to use the speakers in a (untreated) living room for music listening.
thank you !
I have a pair of the older 8351A and it uses the same .75" tweeter as the 8341A - biggest difference is SPL headroom on the 8351A - it gets louder so I'd take a pair of 8351A all day long for your living room. Both models benefit greatly from the GLM/SAM DSP, so definitely get the microphone and run it to correct room acoustics wherever you can. Additionally, when you're ready to add a Genelec SAM subwoofer (highly recommended if you listen to large scale music that goes below 40Hz), just plug it into GLM and it's as good as it gets for the money. I also have the 8351B and the differences are not "night and day" or even that noticeable, so save the money if you can get it at such a deal!

SlowCar

Is there a way to compare how big the woofer is in this speaker in comparison to standard round woofers? Is it like 6,5 inch?

G|force

Forum Donor
Is there a way to compare how big the woofer is in this speaker in comparison to standard round woofers? Is it like 6,5 inch?
SlowCar,
I believe the relative LF cone area and cabinet volume of the Ones products conforms to the 80xx products. You can look at the specs yourself and see the relationships. 30 and 31's, 40 and 41's, 50 and 51's. Since the 8331A 8341A 8351B 8361A have dual LF drivers, I'm not sure if that equals twice the area but I don't think it does. I have not bothered to ink and paper the Pi r squared on this. :)

Last edited:

Puddingbuks

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Size doesn’t tell all, just compare the output, how low and loud can they play and with how much distartion.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Not really. 8331A = 5", 8341A = 6.5", 8351B = 8" and 8361A = 10" in terms of output capability, more or less. It's not exact but neither are advertised woofer sizes.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I have read quite contradictory information on these speakers. On the one hand, Amir in this very review states that they are a bit SPL limited while Genelec considers them fine for listening at 2,5-3 meters at around 95 db (which is not exactly low). What do you guys think?

Zaireeka

Just bought a pair of 8351A, I need more time and experimentation to find the best spot in the room for them to sound best, so I haven't pushed them very loud for now. I never felt limited nor frustrated with my 8350s in this 30m2 room though. Listening distance is 180cm.

8341s may need a sub if high bass volume is desired at more than 2,5m imho.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Just bought a pair of 8351A, I need more time and experimentation to find the best spot in the room for them to sound best, so I haven't pushed them very loud for now. I never felt limited nor frustrated with my 8350s in this 30m2 room though. Listening distance is 180cm.

8341s may need a sub if high bass volume is desired at more than 2,5m imho.
8351A or B?

Zaireeka

8351A, the first model. I will probably add 2 small subs later to explore the low register a bit more.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have read quite contradictory information on these speakers. On the one hand, Amir in this very review states that they are a bit SPL limited while Genelec considers them fine for listening at 2,5-3 meters at around 95 db (which is not exactly low). What do you guys think?
They’re output limited for a 3000$ speaker. I think that message was clear.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
They’re output limited for a 3000$ speaker. I think that message was clear.
It was, the point is how much limited. Clipping at 1 meter with 105 db continous is not a big deal I think, as that is a loooot of db´s. Not being able to reach peaks, well, that´s a different thing.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It was, the point is how much limited. Clipping at 1 meter with 105 db continous is not a big deal I think, as that is a loooot of db´s. Not being able to reach peaks, well, that´s a different thing.
Too bad that this review does not encompass this.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Even the 8361 was not loud enough for Amir
So the 8341 didn't have a chance lol
Anyways I think any speaker that's 6.5 inch needs a sub

Zaireeka

Amir only uses one speaker, so don't forget to add 6db for a pair.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Even the 8361 was not loud enough for Amir
So the 8341 didn't have a chance lol
Anyways I think any speaker that's 6.5 inch needs a sub
I concur and even extend it: every system needs a subwoofer. :p

In the case of Genelecs, I wonder if adding a crossover will also help the internal amp releaving part of the low frequency power requirements. I´d guess so, but I have no experience with them.

Top Bottom