• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kef LS50 meta (+ sub + Benchmark AHB2) or Genelec 8331a (+ sub)

Tangband

Major Contributor
It doesn't sound like you want to listen, or fully understand. The hiss was nothing coming from the MOTU, it's a completely silent DAC. Genelecs are known for hissing, and the hiss was present even when there was no source plugged in. Ergo, the hiss was inherent to the Genelecs. This is a common feature of actives regardless of their input, and there is a thread on this forum that categorises them by a hiss list.

It's the Genelcs, full stop. Now you can either believe me when I say they hiss, and it's up to you whether it bothers you or not (and it did me), or you can just keep ignoring it, but them's the facts.
The serie 83xx is dead silent.
Its true that active loudspeakers can have a bit more noise, because of the active elecronics doing the crossover , while passive crossover only attenuates the signal. But there is much more to sound quality than noise - active designs have typical much lower IMD distortion with real music, making them sound clearer than passive speakers when theres a lot of musicians playing at the same time. The difference is often huge.

An active loudspeaker that have about as twice as much noise than the Genelec 8030c is the JBL 305 .

Last edited:

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe, I'm not sure. Genelec's have quoted specs for hiss at a specific distance, and some people are just better able to hear it than others. I spoke at length with Genelec about it, and they concluded that the 8030C just wasn't suitable for me, as I was sensitive to the hiss. Many who find the Genelec hiss offensive end up liking the Neumann KH series, like the 80/120, as those are virtually silent unless your ear is very close to the tweeter.

That's why they suggested The Ones could be an option, as you can turn down the internal amp a lot more via GLM than older models.
Interesting. I'm going to set a mic and do a recording off the tweeter to see / hear what happens.

Zaireeka

No hiss at 2m from my 8350s, in a very quiet room.

lc155

The serie 83xx is dead silent.

I don't like using that term unless it is true. The quoted hiss specs for the newer GLM variants are indeed lower compared to the 8030C, but it ain't silent.

I would be more interested in someone telling me the results of turning the speaker internal volume way down in GLM, however. Would perhaps sell me on Genelecs again in the future.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't like using that term unless it is true. The quoted hiss specs for the newer GLM variants are indeed lower compared to the 8030C, but it ain't silent.

I would be more interested in someone telling me the results of turning the speaker internal volume way down in GLM, however. Would perhaps sell me on Genelecs again in the future.
Is it perhaps where you have them attenuated or the hiss is coming from a source or something in between.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hang on the 8050b's have A/B amps where the 8030c's and D amps. Is this the issue?

lc155

Is it perhaps where you have them attenuated or the hiss is coming from a source or something in between.

I had mentioned that they would hiss with only the power connected, so it was an inherent hiss which Genelec confirmed, saying that 'dirty power' affecting the hiss was nonsense.

Hang on the 8050b's have A/B amps where the 8030c's and D amps. Is this the issue?

That may very well be the issue. Seems Class D amps are far more likely to hiss than class A (Neumann use class A) and would need more work to mitigate it.

Tangband

Major Contributor

I can tell you about GLM internal digital volume control. As much as I can hear, there are no audible worsening of the sound between 0 attenuation and down to - 40 dB . And Im a very critical listener. This volume regulation is according to Genelec done after the dsp crossover. And the noise floor is still low at -40. The processing in GLM 4.2.0 are made with 64 bit floating point resolution and the volume control are made with applied dithering.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I had mentioned that they would hiss with only the power connected, so it was an inherent hiss which Genelec confirmed, saying that 'dirty power' affecting the hiss was nonsense.

That may very well be the issue. Seems Class D amps are far more likely to hiss than class A (Neumann use class A) and would need more work to mitigate it.
I had planned on upgrading this year to the 8350. They have D amps. If there is a hiss it'll drive me nuts.

lc155

I can tell you about GLM internal digital volume control. As much as I can hear, there are no audible worsening of the sound between 0 attenuation and down to - 40 dB . And Im a very critical listener. This volume regulation is according to Genelec done after the dsp crossover. And the noise floor is still low at -40. The processing in GLM 4.2.0 are made with 64 bit floating point resolution and the volume control are made with applied dithering.

And the hiss decreases in volume when you put it down that low as well?

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I have to wonder if age is a factor, because I notice younger people like myself tend to complain about the hiss more, or at least notice it.
I ain't younger but I am obsessed with hiss and noise.
No hiss at 2m from my 8350s, in a very quiet room.
No hiss from my speakers with my ear to the drivers and that's my unreasonable standard. It has not always been so.

Tangband

Major Contributor
8050b have the A/B chipamp tda 7293 , the 8030c have class D integrated tpa 3118 and the 83xx series seems to have infineon mosfet class D designs with lower noise.

Last edited:

Tangband

Major Contributor
And the hiss decreases in volume when you put it down that low as well?
The hiss is so low at 0 ( full volume ) or -40 dB, - its not an issue .

lc155

The hiss is so low at 0 ( full volume ) or -40 dB, - its not an issue .

Maybe not to you, but we're all different. As long as the hiss decreases as you go that low down from 0dB, then it would be worth a try in the future for me. If it stays the same, I'm going to remain very wary of them. That's why I'd like a precise answer on this issue.

Tangband

Major Contributor
Maybe not to you, but we're all different. As long as the hiss decreases as you go that low down from 0dB, then it would be worth a try in the future for me. If it stays the same, I'm going to remain very wary of them. That's why I'd like a precise answer on this issue.
Ofcorse we are all different. :)

Dont trust me or Kal Rubinson and Zaireeka , you must try listen yourself. The tpa 3118 and tda 7293 used in 8030c and earlier speakers have a bit more noise.

Edit: according to spec from Genelec owners manual for the 8030c :
Self generated noise level in free field @ 1 m on axis:
< 5 dB (A-weighted)

The 8330 :
Self generated noise level in free space at 1 m on axis (A-weighted) = 0 dB

Last edited:
OP
rillettes

rillettes

I used to have a passive installation, with rather efficient speakers, a power amp, and a source which was a little noisy, and could hear a hiss even from a few meters. It was driving me crazy.
If the 8331's have a hiss with no sources connected, it'll definitely be a deal breaker for me. I'd call it a design flaw tbh, specially given their "correct monitors" data sheet.

Butter

I have not heard both, but I run LS50's with an SB3000 and minidsp. Amp is an older Bryston. Desktop situation (Platform Output) with their matching stands and Isoacoustics. Nearfield, but I can't touch them when at the keyboard if you can picture it. I love it, from low to medium volume. At high volume, I feel the KEFs run out of punch. But anyway, non-fatiguing, neutralish, and clear to my 50 yr old ears haha. If you listen loud, then the Gens probably are better if I made a guess. With minidsp I can tweak curves. I suppose SAM also does that, so in the end, with some laptop work, either should sound awesome.

lc155

Loads of people would say there was 0 hiss with the 8030C too, but I can hear it anyway. Don't tend to trust anecdotes with those now, as they're obviously very personal. It's why I just want to know if the hiss decreases when turning it down in GLM, nothing more.

Top Bottom