• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Member's signature not visible on mobile devices?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have my equipment listed on my signature but I was getting getting questions about what I use, which I thought caused by lack of attention to the forum software. However, I have recently been reminded that on a mobile device signature is not visible below a member's post. You have to go to member's profile then select the about tab to find it below the about text.

Is there a reason for that? Can it be corrected so that mobile users also see the signatures?

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Designer of Silver 5L
BSc, MSc (EE, Imperial College, London), MA (acoustics, Surrey University, UK)

Music Room: Stereo setup with Apple iPad; Benchmark DAC3 HGC & 2x AHB2 each in bridge mode, 2x Revel Salon2
TV Room: 7.3.6 setup with Sky Q, Apple TV; AVP: Trinnov Altitude 16; Amps: JBL Synthesis 2x SDA 8300, 1x SDA-4600; LCR: 3x KEF Ci5160REF-THX; Subs: JBL Synthesis 2x SSW-3, 1x SSW-2 (LFE); Surrounds: 4x JBL CBT70J-1; Heights & Overheads: 6x KEF Ci200RS-THX
Desktop: Apple HomePod mini

How loud is loud, how to measure it? Is THX calibration bad for your health?
What smartphone OS do you use for the purpose of photography?
It would have to be in a super tiny font.

I mean on my phone your sig is longer than your question.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
And the problem is what? Scrolling is easy.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What’s that? Are you trolling or just rude?

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Is dishwashing not a word? Will look it up later.

No offense but I for one am not incredibly interested in all the gear you have at home. But I would have to scroll past the entire list three times already in this conversation. And that would take more effort than scrolling past your actual content. Wouldn’t you agree that is a little bit out of balance?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Turn the cell phone to horizontal and the signatures will show.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
That’s so cool.

I will admit that the issue is not so bad in horizontal mode. The smaller font and lighter colour definitely help here, and may help too in vertical mode. Don’t know.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
For what it's worth, you can get an idea of what this looks like on a phone in vertical mode with your browser's developer tools.

This is how it's done in Chrome.

1655885059782.png

I may record a scrolling video later.

XpanD

Forum Donor
Does this forum software allow for signatures to be shown as a spoiler of sorts by default? As in, they'd be there but you'd have to tap/click them to unfold them. That could be a good solution for mobile. (and possibly also desktop as an optional thing, signatures are quite useful sometimes but I would probably spoiler them if I could)

(there is an option for outright disabling them in the account settings, but that feels a bit too radical)

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Turn the cell phone to horizontal and the signatures will show.
Actually, zooming out far enough should also do. Horizontal works because it increases the width. The power of CSS3 media queries. :) Been using 'em myself for years for similar shenanigans. Responsive web design is the corresponding buzzword.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I was simply asking why there is a difference between mobile and desktop views. We are living in a mobile first web then why limit view of data on mobiles?

So far I have not heard any response from the person who has the ability to make any changes, hence is the person whose views matter most. And, in case you missed why I asked this in the first place: I was asked why my signature is not visible on mobiles.

Last edited:

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
I have recently been reminded that on a mobile device signature is not visible below a member's post.
It is visible on mobile in landscape mode. But I have signatures turned off by default anyway (too much clutter) so would thankfully not see it on either mobile or desktop if logged in.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I was simply asking why there is a difference between mobile and desktop views.
Because they are not the same class of devices. You simply use them differently.

Om my 24” 4K desktop I have more than enough room, on a mobile, space is limited, and you’d like to see the most relevant info prominently. That a signature is relevant once in a while is collateral damage. But in the end, it’s just a choice, and apparently some people would make other choices. Nothing wrong with that.

I for one, would vote against showing signatures in mobile mode.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Because they are not the same class of devices. You simply use them differently.
That is what you may do but for many a mobile is the only device they use on the web. If practically every social media site, the AVS forum and many other forums show the same data on every device, why not ASR will act differently? The moto here is to say show me the data to support your view, well, here it is:

In 2021, the number of unique mobile internet users stood at 4.32 billion, indicating that over 90 percent of the global internet population use a mobile device to go online. Mobile ownership and internet usage are forecast to keep growing in the future, as mobile technologies are becoming more affordable and available than ever. This upward trend in mobile internet adoption is particularly visible in developing digital markets where mobile networks are the primary means of internet access. Today, mobile internet traffic accounts for almost 55 percent of total web traffic, while in mobile-first markets such as Asia and Africa, mobile connections account for an even larger share of webpage views.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This post might put things in context (shoutout to @noiseangel ;) ):

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That is what you may do but for many a mobile is the only device they use on the web.
That’s a choice people make… Google maps on your phone also cannot do the same things as the desktop version.
If practically every social media site, the AVS forum and many other forums show the same data on every device, why not ASR will act differently?
ASR has always been different. That’s what makes it great :). AVS seems to have a collapsible view for signature. That might be an efficient fix that gives access to the text, but does not clutter the posts.
The moto here is to say show me the data to support your view, well, here it is:
I fail to see the point. Just about any mobile app that has a desktop equivalent has a more limited feature set. The question is: what things should be limited? There will be many opinions on this.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That’s a choice people make… Google maps on your phone also cannot do the same things as the desktop version.
You are talking functions I’m talking data. Google maps doesn’t hide neighbourhoods on a mobile. ASR hides data on mobiles. That’s my point.

ASR has always been different. That’s what makes it great :). AVS seems to have a collapsible view for signature. That might be an efficient fix that gives access to the text, but does not clutter the posts.
So your view is: ASR shouldn’t care that more than half in the West view the web only on a mobile device. Nor, ASR should consider that in Asia vast majority view the web only on mobiles. They should do it on a laptop. We are ASR, we are different.

What was her name who said: they should eat cake.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
I took the ASR is different argument as tongue in cheek.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So your view is: ASR shouldn’t care that more than half in the West view the web only on a mobile device. Nor, ASR should consider that in Asia vast majority view the web only on mobiles. They should do it on a laptop. We are ASR, we are different.
If that is what you made of it, I’m sorry. My main point is: a lot of people seem to like it this way. In all of its existence this seems to be the first ASR topic addressing this as a possible issue. Looks like that all those mobile user might not see it as such a big problem after all.. If I’m wrong: speak up people :)

Top Bottom