• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cary Audio - Sad experience

Varail

This is going to be a bit longer than I would like (not a native english speaker either so bear with me)

I live in EU. That means we use 220V and not 110V.
I bought a Cary-HH1 (1.6k MSPR unit) amplifier from US. In order to stop using an 110V to 220V converter I sent an email to Cary Audio asking if there is a way to
switch the amplifier to 220V.

Mr X (Cary Audio) told me I should solder some jumpers on an A layout.

I asked a technician to get a look inside and fix it as Mr X suggested.
The tech guy removed the case and told me there is nothing to be done since the jumpers are already on the A layout

1. At this point I sent an email To Mr X telling him the jumpers are already as he told me to - A layout
Mr X told me it is fine and I should be ready to go for 220V.

2. Instead connecting it to 220V I sent a 2nd email to Mr X asking him if he is sure its ok since the default machine state was for 110V and without changing anything
it should be weird to work safely on 220V too.
Mr X assured me it is fine.

3. Instead connecting it to 220V I sent a 3rd mail in which while I was ashamed to ask again I made a statement to provoke Mr X to reassess the situation in the case that something most be wrong.
Mr X failed to correct it still.

At this point I connected the amplifier to 220V.
Bad mistake. The item stopped working (and looking back I also ran the risk of being electrocuted). I had the unit back to the tech guy who failed to diag the issue.

I informed Mr X ( the reaction was something like : Whoops..my bad. The jumpers layout should have been B not A )

Obviously I was upset and asked for a way to break even keeping in mind that I live in EU and a 10+lbs unit is extremely expensive to be shipped to US (10+lbs).

Mr X replied along the lines : "You should be reimbursed either by the seller who sold the unit or by the tech guy."

I was like ..what ??? .. I asked him who is his superior since I wanted to talk to him. No reply here.

I found his superior email on the web (Mr Q). I sent him an email explaining the situation. No reply.

However next day Mr X contacted me telling me that he talked to Mr Q and now he realized his mistake and apologized. Great.
They decided I should send the unit to US and they will repair it and send it back.
The problem here was that the shipping as I have told earlier is extremely expensive for a heavy unit to be sent from here to US and they wanted me to pay it up.
From this point onward I kept trying (like at least 3 times) to ask for a discussion with either of them or both by phone or video.
Denied.
Every single time.

After a few more email exchanges Mr X told me that he could do with just the board since this should be much cheaper.
For the past week I tried my best to find a way to get the shipping cost for the board to a minimum.
I found it was possible to have the board send to Cary Audio AND BACK home for around 200$.
I sent an email to Mr X telling him the good news hoping the situation would come to a happy end.

At this moment Mr X made a "bait and switch move" telling me he spoke with Mr Q and you they decided that they are willing to pay half the shipping (100$) while I have to send the full unit not just the board to US.
Since we were stuck I asked him for the last time for a way to call and talk to Mr Q.
Explicitly denied.

As of now I realize that my amplifier is gone for good although Im still happy I got out of this alive.

Food for thought ..

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Since the damage was the direct result of incorrect instructions from their guy, I'd expect them to cover every penny to make it right. Especially if you purchased it from Cary direct. In fact if purchased directly from them I'd expect an entirely new unit. Then send them the old one at their expense if they wanted it.

If you used a credit card, I'd have the credit card company reverse the charges.

OP
V

Varail

It wasn't.
We hit the worst case scenario.
Looking back I rather he would have told me he didn't know, he knew but he has doubts or not wanting to help or not replying or whatever.. anything else but this.
He was kind enough to want to help, I appreciate that but ..

BlackTalon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I liked Cary bad when Dennis Had still owned/ ran it. He came up to a local hi-fi shop for several demos and events. Once he sold the company things definitely changed.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Definitely a manufacturer/internet seller pays both ways and the cost of a replacement unit situation. I worked in consumer/domestic electronics for ~24 years and I can't think of anybody that would stick it to you over this matter. As per the A-B connections... it happens... The tech you brought the unit to for connections has no responsibility in this. She/He was following instruction and not hired to be a engineer.

OP
V

Varail

The last time I have been denied a phone call or a video call was when I had to pick up my 1 000 000 $ prize following an email from a nigerian prince ..at this rate they will soon rule the world if they are already doing business in the high audio field.

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I agree with a previous poster. Since Dennis Had left they really seem to be a company with little innovation or direction. I had couple direct conversations directly with Dennis when I bought gear 20years ago or so. He was very thoughtful and responsive imo. They took a great deal of pride in their product regardless of how their gear might measure today. It’s a hallmark of a good brand. Last year I had an issue with the int. amp and got a bit of a runaround. Long story short just the bench fee to diagnose the amp was $150 NOT including shipping a 42lb amp. Instead I took it to a local music store who felt bad for charging me $135 total to fix a $10 part. Amp runs great now.

Dial

Weird that your "technician" didn't know how to connect a simple tube amplifier for headphones at the right voltage. Which means that if the brand had disappeared (which is frequent even in the high end -see Cello who did not provide any diagram or manual for their devices), we could throw it away?!

JSmith

Master Contributor
Mr X assured me it is fine.
May I ask, was this assurance and instruction in writing? If so... they don't have ground to stand on then and they must take responsibility for the poor advice.

Sorry to hear this has happened to you... how annoying.

JSmith

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Where did you buy it from? I'd say, get it back to the supplier and let them sort it out with the company. If you bought from an EU company, that's how it should work anyway.

OP
V

Varail

May I ask, was this assurance and instruction in writing? If so... they don't have ground to stand on then and they must take responsibility for the poor advice.

Sorry to hear this has happened to you... how annoying.

JSmith

Yes. I have all the ongoing emails. I never thought we would come to this in my wildest dreams .. this is suppose to be a high audio company not something around the block..

OP
V

Varail

Where did you buy it from? I'd say, get it back to the supplier and let them sort it out with the company. If you bought from an EU company, that's how it should work anyway.

It was bought more than 4 years ago from a 3rd party. Iv been using it all these years with a 110-220V converter and it worked and sounded absolutely great. I also have a bucket of tubes for it.

OP
V

Varail

Maybe I should send them a link and invite them here ..
If you ask me why I didnt pay the 100$ extra to have the unit sent there is for the following reason:

1. I already spent money and time for a no fault party
2. It wouldnt be just 100$ because the 100$ would be for the board only but they wanted the full unit in the end (they just wanted to pay 100$ their share like I would send only the board)

but more imortant

3. After all that was said and done if you were me, would you be willing to send an expensive unit (even if broken) for repairs to a company that haggles for 100$ in a guilty spot?
Wouldn't you be afraid you will left with no unit at all and more money spent ??

Just asking

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It was bought more than 4 years ago from a 3rd party. Iv been using it all these years with a 110-220V converter and it worked and sounded absolutely great. I also have a bucket of tubes for it.
You mean a 220-110V converter, right?

How can then anyone conclude that the thing would work without modification? Especially the technician should have known this.

OP
V

Varail

yes 220-110V.
I do not understand. My tech removed the cover and told me that everything is already set as Cary Audio instructed. He didnt do anyhing else.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
yes 220-110V.
I do not understand. My tech removed the cover and told me that everything is already set as Cary Audio instructed. He didnt do anyhing else.
That is the whole point. It is certain that this amp needs a change. Changing nothing definitely will damage the amp. It should have been obvious to the technician that Cary Audio gave the wrong advice. Now, I won't go so far as to blame the technician, but it is certainly not a good thing.

OP
V

Varail

That is the whole point. It is certain that this amp needs a change. Changing nothing definitely will damage the amp. It should have been obvious to the technician that Cary Audio gave the wrong advice. Now, I won't go so far as to blame the technician, but it is certainly not a good thing.
Right
This is why (and I have no tech knowledge whatsoever) I didn't rush to plug the amplifier and instead sent 3 email to imply doubts about the issue. All the replies failed to correct the mistake.
Only after the unit broke came the "Evrika"..

MCH

Major Contributor
These are the problems that can arise when importing devices. I will be curious to know what are your rights in this situation. I am afraid probably not many, but please let us know.

OP
V

Varail

These are the problems that can arise when importing stuff. I will be curious to know what are your rights in this situation. I am afraid probably not many, but please let us know.
I'm well past the crying spot. I practically beg them to not let me be placed in a position to get all this to the public view.
I reached the point where it felt I was the Cary Audio and not the other way around.
Nope. They gone ostrich on me ..

Top Bottom